Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyCorky View Post
i might remove the power steering, still undecided. doing so is pretty low on the priority list. is there a thread somewhere that explains how to remove the system? did anyone do any before and after tests and measure a *substantial* MPG gain? if the answers to both is "yes", and if its not too much of a PITA, i might more seriously consider it...
I can't say for the HX specifically, but the power steering pump in my Camry went bad, instead of fixing it, I removed the belt to it and instantly gained 2 mpg. Granted, you don't just want to remove the belt for a long term solution, but I seen many people leave fluid in their power steering equipped racks, remove the belt and pump, then add new hoses to the system allow the system to breath from a elevated spot in the engine bay. Apparently it works really well as it is sticky'ed on most Honda websites. Obviously you could also get a non power steering rack out of a DX or CX too, but that would be more involved.

Reducing the drag on your belt load really seems to impact the gas mileage in civics (as well as many other cars.) Just look at all the threads about not using/removing the AC or alternator. On a similar note, I would expect it to help the HX motor even more as drag on the engine pulls it out of lean burn as well. Reducing the drag potential could allow you to stay in lean burn longer. I know Civic VX folks with AC struggle to keep their cars going uphill and taking off the AC belt helps with this.

Hope to have more to report after I finish my HX engine swap in my 97 CX. Hopefully later this week!

Last edited by turbovr41991; 09-12-2012 at 12:23 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to turbovr41991 For This Useful Post:
SpeedyCorky (10-13-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

Mo' Mon-nay! - '00 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 52.26 mpg (US)

Carbon Silver - '06 Honda Insight
90 day: 82.2 mpg (US)
Been awhile since the last update..... but finally!

thanx for the info TurboVR! yeah, i think i will end up removing the power steering system, but thats down the road. I can get the car to go into lean burn sometimes, but only very briefly. i still have a California spec ECU, which makes it hard to get to lean burn, and hard to stay there. but judging by the fact that my #2 o2 sensor goes to "0" sometimes, that is a tell-tale in-lean-burn-indicator. sure would be nice to get a 49 state ECU, and remove power steering, then i could get into, and stay into lean burn waaay longer

OK well, I got the hood lip done FINALLY. damn it took a lot more man hours than I expected to get it all smoothed out, but its done now, as are a couple other cool mods i've done since then... so check it out! also see that i got these sexy ~9.5lb civic VX rims! oh yeah!

btw: i'm averaging about 54mpg over a whole tank now, about 80% freeway and 20% streets. I have an engine cut off switch installed, and do lots of P&G

first the hood lip. as you can see i've also removed the stock external antenna (i have an interior antenna now). I still need to sand and paint the hood, but that'll happen later. aesthetics is not a high priority with this car - well, actually, its not at all a priority hahaha

HX pride!!! wooot!

2006 Honda Insight
MIMA, FAS, no passenger sideview mirror, race style drivers mirror, front and rear underbody aero, temporary front air dam

Last edited by SpeedyCorky; 10-13-2012 at 01:58 PM..
Old 10-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

my MPGuino setup!

i really went the extra mile with the MPGuino install. all wire connections were soldered, all wires run up to the gauge, then all wires were given a click together connection, so that I can remove the gauge easily - right at the dashboard/instrument panel. I made a little carbon fiber front face for it, and the rear and sides of the 'box' are actually a cut up oil bottle hahaha, no extra credit points there - but it worked and looks fine! I also installed a new stereo, cuz the damn stock one only has a radio!! WTF! hahaha but now i got CD player and MP3 USB hook up!

gutted the rear interior, and installed some new speakers to go with the stereo head that i installed

I also got an alignment on the car...
next up is some new LRR tyres, air tabs, and then an amp and subwoofer. later on i will be doing full underbody aero, and also new suspension (lowering the car about 1 inch), as well as a warm air intake. we had a few REALLY (101+ temp) days here last week, and I was amazed how much MPG increase I saw when the car was inhaling 140 degree air, as opposed to 80 degree air - at least 2 mpg increase with the warmer air, maybe double that. INSANE

2006 Honda Insight
MIMA, FAS, no passenger sideview mirror, race style drivers mirror, front and rear underbody aero, temporary front air dam

Last edited by SpeedyCorky; 10-13-2012 at 02:01 PM..
Old 10-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #24 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Wow! Now your black 6th gen coupe's back seat looks just like mine! I call it an "enclosed mini pickup." Tomorrow I go get some firewood in it. And I love the front end work you have done. I find my coolant temps climb over 200 when doing P&G for a sustained period. ... Could install a radiator fan switch so I can run it on demand...
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I know this has nothing to do with your mod thread but can you do me a favor and take a picture of the engine harness plug that is near your clutch. I need to get a close up of the wires. Should be the square plug, I just need to see the color code wires
Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

^^^^^^^^^ PMed w/ pics

and an update folks...

put some of dem "Air Tabs" on the back of the car and some new LRR tyres and a fresh alignment, and a front airdam. I cant say that the Air Tabs really made much of a significant different in my MPG, maybe .5mpg, but thats pushing it. the tyres did more than the tabs, i can tell you that much - maybe getting me ~1 more mpg. with the Air Tabs, i for sure get a lot of looks :/ the front air damn for sure got me 1mpg, maybe a bit more....

Next is underbody aero, front, middle and rear of the car. the rear especially i'm hoping/expecting some large gains in MPG.... that rear bumper is like a parachute!

then maybe down the line i'll lower the car a bit to reduce drag, and remove the power steering.

2006 Honda Insight
Old 02-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
I'm not so sure that those airtabs do anything, but I'm not an expert. Seems you have them too close together and the ones of the side might not do anything with the bad flow that is probably already there.

I'd stick with the air dam for now and focus on making it look better. I had a belly pan on my focus, and in my opinion, it's a pain in the ass.

rear wheel skirts might be more up your all alley and if they're done well, would look really good on your car.
The Following User Says Thank You to HydroJim For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (02-07-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #28 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

the airtabs are the suggested distance apart (3/4 inch); and yeah according to the MPGuino, they made little to no difference.

yeah front airdam isnt done yet. rear wheel covers are coming when i do the rear underbody - and possibly even a custom rear bumper

2006 Honda Insight
Old 02-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
For the Air-tabs, I'd keep just the ones on the roof because that's the only location where they make sense.

Just so you know(in case you don't) you either have an airdam or a bellypan. not both. Air dams are not as effective, but much easier, so that's why many members use those.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #30 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

air dams VS belly pan

by belly pan i assume you mean under the engine (?). and if so, then yes i could easily see where u are coming from - most of the air that gets under that air dam, is not going to get caught on the underside of the engine, its gonna fly right by, and maybe get caught on the mid section of the car - and for sure get caught on that parachute of a back bumper

when the weather gets better, i'll likely start by doing the custom rear bumper (as to eliminate the parachute effect), along with the rear wheel covers. from then, i might do some experimentation and try running the car w/o an air dam - and see what kinda results i get. i've heard that a proper rear diffuser as opposed to a hollow rear bumper (read: parachute), can see MPG gains of perhaps as much as 10%... i'm hoping.... i'm averaging about 58mpg on the freeway at 65~mph, another 10% would be ~6mpg, easily bringing my freeway average comfortably above 60mpg!

man i'm kinda skeptical if i can get a tank average of 60mpg tho. to make that happen, you really gotta be getting 70 or 75mpg on the freeway to average out the 40 to 45mpg that i get in the city .... time will tell - and warmer weather will help a lot... i'll keep ya all posted!

2006 Honda Insight
Reply  Post New Thread