Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #41 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The pressure is on huh!? I just got a stock breather box that I tried to put on for the meet. The updated engine's intake manifold is 1 inch too short. Needless to say, I had to put the CAI back on, but I only did the short ram configuration. I also wanted to finish my daytime running lights mod but I am missing some connectors that I thought I pulled from a donor. So Betsie will be going to Seattle in her stock form.

I have a bag of 10mm self locking nuts if you need some. I have had this bag for 3 years and cannot find a lot of uses for them right now.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
Subscribing ;-)

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 04-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #43 (permalink)
Learning Aeromodding

Metro - '93 Geo Metro 4 door hatchback
90 day: 35.26 mpg (US)
Bruce,
If I didn't like music while driving so much. Or having the bass tones, and actually feeling the bass , then I probably wouldn't have as much of an issue.

Shorty_boy,
Lol, I wanted the covers on for the driving part of the trip. But I do admit, a good part of the motivation was having them on for when I see you, your wife, and Betsie tomorrow. Seeing my CRX this morning with fresh eyes, the covers look really nice!

Thank you for offering the 10mm nuts! I like the nuts I used better then the locking ones I have for RAVadoodle, at least this far. Time will tell. (WeatherSpotter was happy to do the lug nuts on RAVadoodle for me. I was quite a bit intimidated by the process, and accuracy needed. And I definitely need more work on getting more accurate! Practice makes perfect! )

At this point, I'm pretty confident that I will make the hoped for 60MPG on this trip. But now I'm hoping to make 70 on the way there at least. I'll have more freedom to hypermile to Seattle, then on the way home. It will be worth paying extra to fill up in Seattle, JUST to see what I got!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I looked at the Tuneko link. Good stuff. Gives me some ideas about the rear wheel covers. Zip ties seem better than magnets.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #45 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty_boy View Post
...Needless to say, I had to put the CAI back on, but I only did the short ram configuration.
Do you gain much from your CAI ? I've pondered one a few times and have a "owners club kit" (basically a flexi tube and a couple of cable ties ) but haven't bothered yet. My grills are all blocked.

(Not a CRX, An Aygo)

Old 08-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #46 (permalink)
Learning Aeromodding

Update

Well, things have been pretty hectic for me, in MANY ways. Life in general has been a HUGE struggle. But I'm working on making some MUCH NEEDED changes.

I got a job as a USPS Rural Mail Carrier (part time, and my ONLY job ). I'm using RAVadoodle for that, and I'm driving her from the passenger seat while on the route. No MPG numbers for JUST the route yet. AND I'm trying NOT to hypermile until after I learn the route REALLY well. Though I started to do some hypermiling today.

As for my CRX, things are pretty much the same. I've made 3 attempts at having an MPGuino. The initial attempt a month ago was VERY time consuming, because it involved figuring out mounting stuff. But even after working on it yesterday and today, I'm STILL having some serious issues.

BUT some good news would be that I'm getting back into hypermiling. 55+ MPG with NO hypermiling is nice. Better then I could have fathomed with RAVadoodle, but 70+ MPG is WAY better!!! I got 76 MPG for this last tank. WHOO HOO!!!

After I get the MPGuino working, I'll make the write up for the installation. I want to have all the quirks worked out of it first!

I'm glad to be back!!!!
Old 08-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #47 (permalink)
Learning Aeromodding

Alright, the MPGuino worked all the way home last night. So I'm HOPING my frustrations are over.

Here's what I did:

This is where I wanted to put the MPGuino (that I bought from Meelis - LINK).

I should have taken a picture of the vent/clock housing before doing any cutting, but I must have been TOO anxious.

I took out the blank panel where the clock would be if I had an Si (Sportier edition), and cut out the bottom part that made it too tight for the gauge to fit. I also cut out the lip around the clock opening. I wanted the gauge to set flush against the housing and stick out on the other side some when finished.

Then I cut off one side of the clock blank, as the gauge didn't span the whole opening from side to side.

This is with the clock blank in place, and I'm using the extra button board that's provided.

I added a soft foam to keep the gauge from getting scratched or damaged from being up against something hard.

Then I added a bottom that allowed the gauge to fit. It was just a scrap metal plate that I had. It looks bad because I was using a Dremel tool to cut and sand it.

Bottom side.

Then I made this little bracket from left over aluminum L bars from RAVadoodle's belly pan project. It's to hold the button board in place, against the housing.

Button board in place with bracket.

Gauge in place.

Then I added a couple globs of hot glue to hold the gauge in place.

MPGuino from the front.

VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor), wire behind the instrument cluster.

Soldered directly to the connector. I'm avoiding damaging the harness...

#1 fuel injector wire. Again, avoiding damaging the harness.

Soldered it onto the connector. I also have a piece of shrink tube to the left of the connection. So I actually soldered the connector piece together also. Because it doesn't have a housing to keep it together now. BUT solder is reversible. I wrapped it with electrical tape to the original injector connector after shrinking the shrink tube.

This is how I did it at first. But it doesn't look like that now. I had some various........... issues.
Here's a new update, that I just did as a temporary fix. I'm planning on redoing the wiring, and utilizing the clock's harness. I can get constant power and ground there.

Power wire goes to a quick connect to the adapter wiring harness for the stereo, to the CONSTANT wire. I ALSO have it fused again, with the smallest fuse I had, 4A. Grounding wire is hooked up close to the gauge.

This MPGuino is not displaying one bar, so I bought another one from Meelis. It was damaged by something I did. I just haven't updated the picture.

So there it is. I hope it will help with ideas and know-how. I'm also HAPPY to talk about the installation in greater detail with anyone that wants to.

Last edited by myrefugeisintheLord; 01-20-2014 at 05:35 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to myrefugeisintheLord For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (10-02-2015), Cd (08-15-2013), pgfpro (08-15-2013), some_other_dave (08-16-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #48 (permalink)
The PRC.

Should this not be a sticky "HOWTO" mods ?
Old 08-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #49 (permalink)
Learning Aeromodding

lol I appreciate the suggestion Arragonis. But I doubt my little experience qualifies me to be added as a sticky ANYWHERE! I just try to be helpful when/where I can.

Anyone searching for CRX related mods will find my thread. And if there is a thread you would recommend that I provide a link there to this post, I would appreciate that.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #50 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Nice work!!!

Lets us know how it works out for you.

Reply  Post New Thread