Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
My '97 Civic Mods

I've finally gotten around to doing some mods to my '97 Civic DX sedan )besides just maxing the tire pressure).

I removed the air tube, so now it gets all of it's air from the top of the engine. Ultragauge showed intake temp of 88F at 60MPH and 100-110F in city with outside temp at about 55F, no grille block. With the partial lower block, it got to about 120F in city, but outside temp was probably 60F at that time. Not sure if its helping efficiency at all. It does make the intake drone really loud at high throttle positions, but I shouldn't be doing that anyway.

I blocked off most of the upper grille using foam pipe insulation. I cut the foam to length, cut the foam in half (to use on the other side), and stuffed it in. It feels pretty solid and should last quite a while. The biggest danger to it will be someone pulling it out as they walk by. I blocked off half of the lower grille with cardboard. It is in front of the AC condenser, which never gets used. It survived the trip to Home Depot to get the pipe insulation, but a good rainstorm will be the end of it.

Future mods will be replacing the cardboard block with a plastic one, smooth wheel covers, probably rear wheel skirts, and maybe a bellypan. I just have to find a place to get coroplast/abs plastic from. The local bus company uses coroplast for the advertisements on the sides of their buses, and according to their website, they just dispose of it after the contract is up. I sent them an email the other day asking if I could get some, haven't had a reply yet. If I don't hear back from them or they say no, there are a few sign shops around here that I'll check.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Good work with the WAI. I love the data the gauges give you, but it looks like the Scangauge will not work for our sixth gen civics. MPGuino is a puzzle. Was the Ultraguage tough to install? How does it look on the dash? You like it? I should post a shot of the WAI I built, for comparison. Mine now curves from the housing opening and goes down and forward to get within a couple inches of the cylinder head cover.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The scangauge and ultragauge do pretty much the same thing, they just have a couple different features. The scangauge lets you program in custom gauges (handy for hybrids and other fancy cars), while the ultragauge has a bigger and arguably nicer screen and is cheaper. I chose the ultragauge mainly for cheapness. Initial setup is as easy as plugging it in and finding a place to put it. I put velcro on the back of the little clip it came with and have it just to the left of the steering wheel. (Picture was taken to show the CR-V cluster I installed, just happens to show the ultragauge)

As luck would have it, the day after I put on a cardboard grille block, it rains. About 15 minutes of moderate rain at freeway speeds and 15 in city conditions. It is still together and didn't feel very wet. I'll see how it is tomorrow after it dries out. With the grille blocked, intake temps were 110-120F at freeway speeds and 60F outside temp, so it at least makes a difference there. Coolant temp was also lower at freeway speeds than usual, it usually spends a good amount of time at 203F, but today it stayed at about 197 and only hit 203 a couple times.

I have a feeling my car isn't running as efficient as it did in Utah (now I'm on the coast of California, in Monterey). I am applying more techniques now that I have a was to see what does best in real time, but at best I'm getting about the same results? Could the difference in air pressure be to blame? Or would a mechanical issue that just decided to pop up now be more likely?

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 03-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Nice looking job on the upper grill.

I used foam pipe insulation on the upper and lower grills. I use either the non-split insulation, or I glue the split seam back together.

For the lower grill, I cut 3 lengths of foam, and squish them flat, one stacked on top of the other. Then wrap duct tape around the bundle. Sometimes it needs one more layer of foam to give it enough beef. It's just right for the lowest row of grill slots. For the one above that, I stack 4 lengths of insulation, squish flat and wrap. It ain't pretty, but it lets me remove and add chunks as the outdoor temperature demands.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

I have to admit I am puzzled by the millage numbers on your Civics. Some might be driving conditions, but maybe there is a mechanical issue too? I have owned my 1998 since 2001, when it had just 27000 miles. The old EPA estimate have always been better for this car than the new. I have the 106hp/103tq motor that was rated 32/38mpg. Years and years of tracking the millage have confirmed the old EPA estimates over and over again. Maybe there are more efficient gearing ratios on my version of the DX motor. I don't know. I have possibly done more mods now that you guys, but I am puzzled by the differences in our figures. I got 47.48 mpg in combined city/hwy driving on the last tank--driving a SLOW 53 max speed when I am on the freeway.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
The scangauge and ultragauge do pretty much the same thing, they just have a couple different features. The scangauge lets you program in custom gauges (handy for hybrids and other fancy cars), while the ultragauge has a bigger and arguably nicer screen and is cheaper. I chose the ultragauge mainly for cheapness. Initial setup is as easy as plugging it in and finding a place to put it. I put velcro on the back of the little clip it came with and have it just to the left of the steering wheel. (Picture was taken to show the CR-V cluster I installed, just happens to show the ultragauge)
Nice looking placement of the gauge! And I like that it comes in a good color. I want to hack my car without making it look too hacked. I would love to be able to place the gauge somewhere in those empty panel sections or something.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
Epa

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I have to admit I am puzzled by the millage numbers on your Civics. Some might be driving conditions, but maybe there is a mechanical issue too? I have owned my 1998 since 2001, when it had just 27000 miles. The old EPA estimate have always been better for this car than the new. I have the 106hp/103tq motor that was rated 32/38mpg. Years and years of tracking the millage have confirmed the old EPA estimates over and over again. Maybe there are more efficient gearing ratios on my version of the DX motor. I don't know. I have possibly done more mods now that you guys, but I am puzzled by the differences in our figures. I got 47.48 mpg in combined city/hwy driving on the last tank--driving a SLOW 53 max speed when I am on the freeway.
The EPA has altered it's test protocol to better reflect the 'real world' and recent figures are more conservative than in the past.It's best just to establish a 'baseline' performance for a given vehicle and then compare to that after mods are done.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

brucepick - I think I'll try out the foam in the lower grille when my cardboard one wears out. I should have plenty of foam already. I like your belly pan, I might have to do one if you get good results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I got 47.48 mpg in combined city/hwy driving on the last tank--driving a SLOW 53 max speed when I am on the freeway.
Well, there's the difference. My last tank was about 90% freeway, but at 60-70 and I got 37MPG. I'm probably just expecting a bit too much with the way I accelerate sometimes. I guess I'll just have to do some aeromods and tweak the nut behind the wheel a bit more.
If I find a straight, flat, low traffic piece of road around here, I'll do an ABA test with the WAI and the stock intake. The trick will be finding that road.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 03-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
Well, there's the difference. My last tank was about 90% freeway, but at 60-70 and I got 37MPG.
Ten years of experience behind the wheel of this car (my only car) and tracking its millage tank-to-tank has taught me to appreciate 55mph and down as pretty optimal in terms of FE. But above 60mph, it has seemed the FE goes down rather quickly. AS you know, I have no gauges other than my brain, the odometer, and the fuel gauge. This tank I have returned to 60mph, but I am compensating with bump-starting (which I had not been doing). I also added grille blocks and a passenger-side mirror delete. My mods are craft more than science. But I love this site, and I am extremely grateful for its existence. Its great to learn.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

WAI and/or the grille blocks seem to be helping a lot. I've had them both on for the tanks since the second one on March 13. Cardboard grille block has gone through several more rainstorms and still going strong. Probably helps that it is back in the bumper pretty far. Even the painters tape is still holding up. Thinking of making foam inserts for the rest of the lower grille, so I can easily block them on highway trips. Intake temps really cool down when going 60MPH.

I removed the power steering pump belt on April 3, and got 41MPG the next tank. I'm guessing it adds about 2MPG. Steering is a little difficult at low speeds, but I can definitely get used to it, especially with how much it saves. I would recommend trying it if you have a Civic, it takes about 2 minutes and a 12mm wrench to remove the belt.

I found a place in Santa Cruz that sells coroplast. Hopefully I'll get up there this Saturday and get some. I'm thinking just smooth wheel covers and rear skirts for now.

On the highway, I hold the TPS at 18.8 (I have gotten very good at doing this, and can hold it for miles and miles at a time) and it goes about 62MPH on the flats. I usually give it just a bit more on especially long or steep hills, but it handles small hills without slowing too much. I would try a TPS that would keep it around 55MPH, but 62MPH seems to be a great compromise between keeping up with traffic and efficiency.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread

Last edited by vskid3; 04-05-2011 at 01:12 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread