Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 09:11 AM   #51 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
I prefer not having to look over my shoulder if I don't have to. I was playing around with the blindspot mirror after I removed it and found that one of those convex rearview mirrors would probably make me comfortable enough to completely do without the passenger side mirror.

I'll paint the upper grill block next weekend, I'll pull the whole bumper for kicks and to make it easier to mask.
One change to my grille blocks I plan is to make them flush with the surface of the bumper so that the air moves around them more smootly than it can now. I thought I might accomplish this by reusing old styrofoam and cutting it into small blocks to insert between the grille and the coroplast. Something else you could do that I also want to do is use expanding foam to fill the lower grille. Since you'll be taking it off to paint it, you might try this mod. Would be useful to me to hear your results. Someone on this forum--I forget who right now--did this with their civic. He left an opening on the passenger side of the lower grille for ducting straight to the radiator. Painted and sanded, it looked factory in the photos, though he said it looked a little more DIY in the presence.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-31-2011, 02:57 PM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
One change to my grille blocks I plan is to make them flush with the surface of the bumper so that the air moves around them more smootly than it can now. I thought I might accomplish this by reusing old styrofoam and cutting it into small blocks to insert between the grille and the coroplast. Something else you could do that I also want to do is use expanding foam to fill the lower grille. Since you'll be taking it off to paint it, you might try this mod. Would be useful to me to hear your results. Someone on this forum--I forget who right now--did this with their civic. He left an opening on the passenger side of the lower grille for ducting straight to the radiator. Painted and sanded, it looked factory in the photos, though he said it looked a little more DIY in the presence.
Here you go.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...per-10116.html

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html
Old 05-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_sol View Post

That looks ace.
You could buy a replica bumper up here they cost a measely €26 for a new front bumper, plastic weld it and it will be good for looks and your wallet.

I plastic welded a cover over the convex passenger sidemirror, a thermoplast plastic is easy to mold.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #54 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_sol View Post
That's the one. Great look. I thought it might be you jedi_sol...
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #55 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Is there anything behind the upper grill opening? (I don't recall when it was that Honda changed things to being a "bottom breather", but had to add the upper grill back because of customer demand (because of appearance). Do keep a close eye on temps when doing this tough as you may have to have different parts for the hot and cold weather.

There was a comment early in the thread about gasoline & mileage. The gas in California is very different, even from one part of the state to the other a well as depending upon the season...and then there is that *%#&! ethanol which gives poorer mileage, is damaging to some engines, takes more energy to produce than you get out of it and is a political boondoggle. Grrr!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
The upper grill leads to the radiator and condenser. I didn't do any scientific testing, but when I had the foam blocks out for a week or two, the intake temp seemed lower, so it must do something. I'm not too worried about it overheating. I have an alarm on the ultragauge that goes off at 210F, so I know to pay more attention to it and make sure it doesn't get too high.

I'm thinking it must be the gas that is hurting my mileage compared to Utah. The next time I have to do a trip of considerable length, I'm going to try not using the Ultragauge to adjust my driving and just drive like I did before I had it. I might be putting too much faith into it. And yes, ethanol is terrible in its current implementation.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #57 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
The upper and lower grilles both open into the same space that feeds the radiator and AC condenser. By blocking one or the other, you're limiting the maximum possible airflow. However, with a small and efficient engine, there's not that much cooling needed. Half the lower grille is the most I've needed in 100+ degree Texas summers, with the Scangauge reporting a maximum 206F coolant temperature. The radiator itself only spans half the width.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Reply  Post New Thread