Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
skyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 1,261

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
Thanks: 529
Thanked 450 Times in 289 Posts
Thanks so much for the detail pics. I have a leetle projeyct of my own......

Quote:
yes I fly the thrush. Its one of the first turbine models Ayres made. You fly?
Very nice job you have. Yes, I fly a straight tail 310 (skyking) and used to fly banner tow before 9/11.

You must be back east somewhere, nobody is doing a really cool project within driving range.

__________________




2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 03-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
kach22i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 3,274
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
Kachi, push it on up to the original front height, see what that looks like. Give the guy some headroom in the bunk.
Yea, kind of tight up there in the old bunk. Little kiddies only, no room for adults doing adult things.
__________________
George
Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
turbothrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 128

2 x wrecked vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 62 mpg (US)
Thanks: 117
Thanked 45 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Big outside and roomy inside.

Bigger than what I would have done, but nice.

Too Complex?
Automobile 2 - Odds and Ends pictures by kach22i - Photobucket
Thanks for the input kach22i . It is easy to see that you have some good ideas. I just need more headroom in the bunk like skyking said. My old camper had 35" bunk to ceiling and that allowed a short person to sit on the edge of the bed and that is good when space is at a premium. I do like the rear pop-up idea to reduce the wake.
Got me thinkin...Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
(:
 
Frank Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: up north
Posts: 12,476

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,480
Thanked 3,253 Times in 2,057 Posts
Re: behind the cab radii: I was thinking you'd cut those in, same as you'd do above, rather than add something on that comes ahead of the back of the cab.
__________________


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 40
Thanks: 11
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I'd like to offer some advice. Reading this report http://csus-dspace.calstate.edu/xmlu...pdf?sequence=1 gave me some information I think you might find useful. It's about testing pick up trucks and aerodynamic bed configurations. These are the drag coefficient figures for aerodynamic toppers simply cut at an angle downwards, instead of a suburban like back end or a pick up truck bed.

Baseline 0.3453
Traditional canopy 0.3157
5degrees 0.2957
10degrees 0.2894
12degrees 0.2892
15degrees 0.2987
18.7degrees 0.3091

Now as you can tell the 12 degree slope has the lowest drag coefficient, however it isn't much lower than at 10 degrees or 5 degrees.

This suggests to me that in this case, instead of following the template as you would do on a boat tail, you may want just a slight taper on the top and sides. Even just a few degrees. That way you end up with a fairly significant drag reduction, without impeding the usefulness and spaciousness of the topper.

If it isn't going to be a huge engineering challenge I think the pop up design would be very useful.


Whatever design you do choose I'm looking forward to seeing it all come together.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
turbothrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 128

2 x wrecked vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 62 mpg (US)
Thanks: 117
Thanked 45 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Re: behind the cab radii: I was thinking you'd cut those in, same as you'd do above, rather than add something on that comes ahead of the back of the cab.
Good point. What you suggest makes the most sense rather than dealing with hinges and fairings but i am going to put the jacks in a hollow tube "receiver" in that area so I can remove them easily for travel. The green square in the pic.Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 128.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	10443
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
(:
 
Frank Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: up north
Posts: 12,476

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,480
Thanked 3,253 Times in 2,057 Posts
Can those front jacks go back 4-5", right behind the radii?
__________________


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
turbothrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 128

2 x wrecked vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 62 mpg (US)
Thanks: 117
Thanked 45 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yugomodder View Post
I'd like to offer some advice. Reading this report http://csus-dspace.calstate.edu/xmlu...pdf?sequence=1 gave me some information I think you might find useful. It's about testing pick up trucks and aerodynamic bed configurations. These are the drag coefficient figures for aerodynamic toppers simply cut at an angle downwards, instead of a suburban like back end or a pick up truck bed.

Baseline 0.3453
Traditional canopy 0.3157
5degrees 0.2957
10degrees 0.2894
12degrees 0.2892
15degrees 0.2987
18.7degrees 0.3091

Now as you can tell the 12 degree slope has the lowest drag coefficient, however it isn't much lower than at 10 degrees or 5 degrees.

This suggests to me that in this case, instead of following the template as you would do on a boat tail, you may want just a slight taper on the top and sides. Even just a few degrees. That way you end up with a fairly significant drag reduction, without impeding the usefulness and spaciousness of the topper.

If it isn't going to be a huge engineering challenge I think the pop up design would be very useful.


Whatever design you do choose I'm looking forward to seeing it all come together.
Wow lots of stuff .Was not expecting such good results at 5 degrees.Thanks a lot

Last edited by turbothrush; 03-08-2012 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: new info
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
turbothrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 128

2 x wrecked vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 62 mpg (US)
Thanks: 117
Thanked 45 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
Thanks so much for the detail pics. I have a leetle projeyct of my own......


Very nice job you have. Yes, I fly a straight tail 310 (skyking) and used to fly banner tow before 9/11.

You must be back east somewhere, nobody is doing a really cool project within driving range.
Cool. Never did any banner towing. I'll watch for your areoshell thread. And yep East Coast
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Recreation Engineer
 
KamperBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Somewhere USA
Posts: 521

Black Stallion - '02 Toyota Tundra 4WD xCab

Half Pint - '06 Yamaha XT225
Thanks: 310
Thanked 136 Times in 101 Posts
Excellent project. I can't wait to see more. Rock on!

__________________
Recreation Engineer
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KamperBob For This Useful Post:
turbothrush (03-15-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com