Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #71 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
UPDATE: More progress over the weekend!
I finished welding in the fog light plugs:
Back side

Front side

Got the center grill cut and plug made:

Now I need to find time to start welding in the center section, then drill vent holes to feed some air to the radiator, sand the welds, use some filler (for imperfections), sand, then paint.

Probably won't happen until this weekend since I have several family activities planned this week, and an injector installation this Friday.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #72 (permalink)
That VX guy!

Got the rest of the bumper welded today:

And got more sanding done as well:

And a shot of what it looks like from the backside (you can see the long crack that I had to repair from the careless driver impact):

I will need to use a small amount of Fiberglass Jelly to fill in some of the welds just for aesthetics. Plus I have something cool in mind for when it comes time to paint the bumper

Old 06-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #73 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Plastic welding

Are you using a solder iron to weld? What details of the process can you provide? I have some motorcycle plastics that need to be fixed, and I'd really like to make them look like they're supposed to look before I sell them, from a Ninja 250.

I've never welded plastic before... Can I just use another scrap piece of the same type of plastic as a filler?

I've heard that you can "glue" ABS using acetone... know anything about that? Supposedly, it discombobulates the plastic and allows the two discombobulated sections to stick together as though they had been formed that way. Sounds iffy...

Old 06-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #74 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,958 Times in 3,603 Posts
Bummer about the bumper - did the driver take responsibility? Another teacher or student??
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 06-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #75 (permalink)
That VX guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Are you using a solder iron to weld? What details of the process can you provide? I have some motorcycle plastics that need to be fixed, and I'd really like to make them look like they're supposed to look before I sell them, from a Ninja 250.
I am using a Weller Soldering Gun:

It's a 140/100 Watt model with the wide, flat tip. I use a zip tie to hold the trigger down to the 140W setting and so my fingers don't get tired.

I lay the tip flat against the two surfaces and heat them up. Once they start to melt, I then push inwards and down at a 45* angle to meld as much material as I can. Then I slide the tip along the surface to the next spot and do the plunge again, creating a "Stack of Dimes" as welders call it. This is all on the backside of the plastic and is the important weld for going deeper into the material and getting a good bond.

On the front side, it's about the same, only I don't go deep into the material. then I go over the whole weld on the front side again slowly dragging the flat part of the tip along the weld to knock down and fill in the "Stack of Dimes". This makes sanding (with 120 grit) a little less time consuming.

Quote:
I've never welded plastic before... Can I just use another scrap piece of the same type of plastic as a filler?
Yes as long as it's the same material you can use it as a sort of "welding rod", just make sure you get all three parts warmed up and melted.

Honestly though, if it's a crack in the fairings and the pieces are all still there and line up easily, you shouldn't need a filler rod. I got away with that on the crack repair on this bumper.

Quote:
I've heard that you can "glue" ABS using acetone... know anything about that? Supposedly, it discombobulates the plastic and allows the two discombobulated sections to stick together as though they had been formed that way. Sounds iffy...
I've heard this as well...I don't have any ABS to try this on at the moment though. I'll have to find some and try it out.

Almost all auto bumper covers are made from TPO, or also called TEO. ABS is not a compatible plastic to use, and I'm not sure what your fairings are made of. Luckily though you can look on the inside of the part and usually find "TPO", "TEO" or any of the other variants of the Olefins on the back. That family can be welded together pretty easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Bummer about the bumper - did the driver take responsibility? Another teacher or student??
The driver took responsibility, it was just that driver being stupid and backing into me at a line for an ATM, even though she was next in line, the person in front of her was pulling away. She saw the adjacent ATM had just opened up and was going to pull over to that and backed into my front bumper with her Expedition's trailer hitch. I wasn't able to back up and laid on the horn, but it did no good, she didn't even look in her mirrors or behind her and claimed to not know the horn was for her.

The police were called and a report was taking and she plainly stated that she backed into me, which was good. But no claims to insurance were made by either of us. No damage to her trailer hitch, and the hitch actually hit my license plate and only cracked the bumper cover, so no reason for me to file a claim either since I fixed it myself.

So all-in-all I took this as an opportunity to learn a new skill and make something better, which worked out well as I only have $5 into this project. The donor bumper was free from the junkyard, the aero bumper was given to me as a freebie a while ago, and I already had the soldering gun, so I only had to pay to get some more sanding discs.

Oh, and I already have color matched paint sitting around the garage from when I last painted my car as well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomO For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-29-2011), MetroMPG (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #76 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,958 Times in 3,603 Posts
Good welding description.

I tried a similar plastic welding job last summer on a pedal boat that had some cracks in it. Used a soldering iron as well.

The plastic was a bit harder and thinner than a car bumper though, so it was fairly tricky, and one of the welds broke & needs fixing again.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 07-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #77 (permalink)
That VX guy!

Another update!:
Bumper filled and sanded:

Should be ready for painting this weekend when/if I have time. Both kids are home today and not feeling well and the wife is working 12 hour shifts through Sunday. Coupled with the heat index being 104*F right now, not much is going on.

And a shot to show the curvature of the bumper:

Old 07-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #78 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via AIM to Darkrider Send a message via MSN to Darkrider Send a message via Yahoo to Darkrider
looks great! Should look good once you get it painted up and reinstalled.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darkrider For This Useful Post:
TomO (07-02-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #79 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Interesting project, thank you for sharing the setbacks as well as the triumphs.

Back in 1982 I installed a large sheet metal chin spoiler under the front wood bumper of my 1976 Ford van. I used a rubber garage door seal along the bottom edge. It worked and looked great.

The drunk who lived next door decided to back into it one night and bent the heck out of the spoiler. I was 20 something years old and mad, I kicked in his doors when I saw what happened. My parents were very concerned and told me what I did was illegal - my response; SO IS DRUNK DRIVING!

Don't ever do what I did, just saying.

Others are using conveyor belt material from places like Tractor Supply for the chin spoiler material. It's kind of heavy but wears gradually.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
The Following User Says Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
TomO (07-02-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #80 (permalink)
That VX guy!

More updates!:
First coat of color on...

second coat of color on...

third coat of color on...can you guess what's going on yet?

fourth coat of color...

And finally, the result, just hanging on my car for now as I still need to make the holes necessary for airflow to the radiator:

side shot:

I just need to clearcoat it tomorrow and drill some vents and then it's all set for winter use!

The Following User Says Thank You to TomO For This Useful Post:
TOOQIKK (09-14-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread