Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

E300D - '97 Mercedes-Benz E300 Diesel
New to forum, joined because I need some positive reinforcement.

So, I am happy to finally be a member of ecomodder.com. I have perused your archives for some time now and really appreciate the information that is put out there.
I drive a 1979 Mercedes-Benz 300SD Turbo-diesel. I have a 90-mile round trip commute. Recently I have been getting 30 mpg with it (a high of 31.77mpg), up from my previous 27 mpg. I decided to post about it in a mercedes related forum, benzworld.org, of which I am a member. Disappointingly, most of the feedback I received were from nay-sayers, telling me that it is impossible to get that type of mileage on such a large, and old car. I wrote several data-enriched posts (data from my records), and finally had to call it quits because I was so tired of people just thinking I was crazy, or "in need of a new calculator," as someone put it.
In any case, I am excited and very pleased with my new economy. I am also looking forward to being a member of this forum, where it seems as though people help each-other, rather than doubting good results.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Grasshopper - '11 Ford Fiesta SES
Team Ford
90 day: 50.37 mpg (US)

Feejer - '09 Yamaha FJR1300 AE
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.73 mpg (US)
Just look in the mirror and say" I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!"

Stewart Smalley aside, it is not uncommon for people in automotive forums to reject the notion that huge improvements in fuel economy can be made with simple driving modifications and inexpensive aero improvements.

Welcome to Ecomodder, you're among kindred spirits.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Welcome to EM. What is your goal with the car?
Old 03-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Welcome to EM. What is your goal with the car?
My goal is to get 35 mpg. I think that I will leave the engine alone, as it seems to be running very well and efficiently. I have been considering using a mild front air-dam and maybe side-skirts to help aerodynamically. The side skirts should be an easy install as the car has a strip of chrome trim underneath the doors and holes are already drilled. The front air-dam might be a little bit more difficult, I'll have to stomach my pride and drill into the chrome front bumper.

Also, I have been adding ATF to the fuel at approx. 1 oz to every 2 gallons. My theory is that the detergents in the ATF have cleaned out (and are continuing to do so) the injection pump and injectors, allowing them to work properly/better.

I might try preheating the fuel, as the mileage increase I noticed happened at the same time the ambient temperature went up. The fuel that isn't used up at the injectors is just returned to the tank, and is cumulatively heated as you go down the road. It may also be that stations around here switched from #1 to #2 Diesel. But, I don't think that we ever had #1 because it really doesn't get that cold, especially this winter.

Well, here's hoping for 35 mpg!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphiro View Post
So, I am happy to finally be a member of ecomodder.com. I have perused your archives for some time now and really appreciate the information that is put out there.
I drive a 1979 Mercedes-Benz 300SD Turbo-diesel. I have a 90-mile round trip commute. Recently I have been getting 30 mpg with it (a high of 31.77mpg), up from my previous 27 mpg. I decided to post about it in a mercedes related forum, benzworld.org, of which I am a member. Disappointingly, most of the feedback I received were from nay-sayers, telling me that it is impossible to get that type of mileage on such a large, and old car. I wrote several data-enriched posts (data from my records), and finally had to call it quits because I was so tired of people just thinking I was crazy, or "in need of a new calculator," as someone put it.
In any case, I am excited and very pleased with my new economy. I am also looking forward to being a member of this forum, where it seems as though people help each-other, rather than doubting good results.
Welcome to the forum...but don't get your hopes up.
I am new also, having joined today, and have already recieved some nasty childish responses to some good honest posts.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
35 should be doable. If you've gotten 31 before you can do it again, and every little mod helps. Stick to the 65+ mods list and the 100+ hypermiling tips and you'll get there. The aeromods will especially help if you're doing a lot of highway driving.

I wouldn't recommend heating the fuel. The ambient temperature has more to do with aerodynamics than engine efficiency (besides warmup penalties). It shouldn't hurt anything, but I don't think you'll see any real gain from it.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

You'll get there! I've heard stories of MPG in the 40s with biodiesel, so 35 isn't impossible.

If you're not particularly fond of the aesthetics of your car, you could really make a difference in weight by removing the huge bumpers.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
35 should be doable. If you've gotten 31 before you can do it again, and every little mod helps. Stick to the 65+ mods list and the 100+ hypermiling tips and you'll get there. The aeromods will especially help if you're doing a lot of highway driving.

I wouldn't recommend heating the fuel. The ambient temperature has more to do with aerodynamics than engine efficiency (besides warmup penalties). It shouldn't hurt anything, but I don't think you'll see any real gain from it.
Thank you, I didn't realize that the ambient temperature had any effect on a car's aerodynamics. See, already on my 3rd post, I have learned more about efficiency than I learned through hundreds of posts and threads at other forums.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofreak View Post
You'll get there! I've heard stories of MPG in the 40s with biodiesel, so 35 isn't impossible.

If you're not particularly fond of the aesthetics of your car, you could really make a difference in weight by removing the huge bumpers.
That brings up a question I've been wondering: Does biodiesel contain more energy than conventional diesel?

Also, I think if I were fond of the aesthetics I would want those ugly bumpers removed! It's like having a 9-inch shelf sticking out of either end of the car!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphiro View Post
That brings up a question I've been wondering: Does biodiesel contain more energy than conventional diesel?

Also, I think if I were fond of the aesthetics I would want those ugly bumpers removed! It's like having a 9-inch shelf sticking out of either end of the car!
It's actually around 10% less energy compared to fossil-derived diesel. In practice, it actually should yield less economy.

Of course, the documentary I watch in question was of 300SD's purpose tuned for biodiesel, and I'm sure that involved a thorough overhaul.

Reply  Post New Thread