Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #31 (permalink)
newevr

Yeah, I've been trying that. Even though it seems to roll easily in my garage, I can't seem to gain as much speed going downhill as I had expected. My first car was an old 3 on the column straight shift, and I remember how far I could coast. I used to try to do that as much as possible. I guess without a clutch the tranny is holding me up.
On a side note, how does the colder weather change your battery capacity?
Thanks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #32 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaker View Post
Yeah, I've been trying that. Even though it seems to roll easily in my garage, I can't seem to gain as much speed going downhill as I had expected. My first car was an old 3 on the column straight shift, and I remember how far I could coast. I used to try to do that as much as possible. I guess without a clutch the tranny is holding me up.
On a side note, how does the colder weather change your battery capacity?
Thanks
These don't coast all that well, not positive why.

Things you can try is, Change the diff lube to synthetic and attempt to straighten it out as much as possible, at 35mph you don't need any toe. Also try getting the brakes loosened up, mine has a touch of brake drag due to the disk brakes (should be drum on an ev).
Old 06-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #33 (permalink)
newevr

Well after a month of wrestling with the batteries I gave up. Only 2 came up to the specs you shared with me. I found a battery shop here locally that could get some that matched the spec and swapped them out this week. I also replace the tranny and it's much better.
Third gear is awsome. The gradual inclines that used to slow me down to 15 or 20 now are 25. I can gain more momentum on the downhill, and have to be careful not to exceed the rpm limit. I'm still getting a feel for the shifting, so as it gets more comfortable I might be able to slip it out of gear on the downhill without fear of not getting it back in
I'm still on the lookout for a better motor, but I'll have to have a new controller and probably more voltage. It's so much better now, I think it will work as is. I'll have to see what the winter has in store for the batteries
Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #34 (permalink)
newevr

Today was even better. I had moved over to 4th gear on a flat area and as I approached a hill a car got right behind me and I was afraid to downshift and to my surprise, it was fine. I was expecting to bog down but it was strong, even better than third. I just left it in 4th all day and had no problem. The gradual grades that slowed me down to 25, I took at 30. This whole thing is so different, it's going to be a big learning curve.
Does anybody know the specs on the chinese charger? What kind of voltage it puts out. And how does the aux battery fit in to play. It's working, and the numbers are right so I guess it's good
Old 06-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #35 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaker View Post
Today was even better. I had moved over to 4th gear on a flat area and as I approached a hill a car got right behind me and I was afraid to downshift and to my surprise, it was fine. I was expecting to bog down but it was strong, even better than third. I just left it in 4th all day and had no problem.

It's working, and the numbers are right so I guess it's good
Sorry to hear about the batteries, depending on where they were at, I would have considered buying them from you (if you and I were close by at some point)

I strongly recommend you buy an ammeter.

An EV generates the MOST power at the lowest RPM!

This also means you use the most energy and can overheat the motor and reduce your range.

In an EV you normally downshift to conserve brushes and range.

AKA it is still beneficial to you (more efficient less brush wear) to at least start in a lower gear then upshift to your final gear, in an EV you do not techically need to shift but your motor and batteries will thank you if you do.

When you have situations that allow you to accellerate gradually you can use an ammeter to slowly drift up to speed and shift as needed and your range can be dramatically increased.

Cheers
Ryan
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
cbaker (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #36 (permalink)
newevr

I kept 2 of the batteries that had good numbers. I don't know what I'll end up doing with them, so if you're in the neighborhood....
I've looked for an ammeter a couple of times, but I didn't see one for 72v system. I'll keep looking. Does wet rainey weather have any adverse effects I should keep an eye on?
Thanks
Old 07-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Diahatsu transmission

Reading thru the mods you guys are discussing and considering buying a zx40. Do either of you know what years the diahatsu charade's transmission is compatible with a 2008 zx40s?
Thanks
Mark
Old 07-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #38 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1801 View Post
Reading thru the mods you guys are discussing and considering buying a zx40. Do either of you know what years the diahatsu charade's transmission is compatible with a 2008 zx40s?
Thanks
Mark
As far as I know any 1ltr Charade will work, the 1.3's may require you to reuse your halfshafts and other goodies and do some grinding, though I haven't heard much on that end.

Cheers
Ryan
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Mark1801 (07-19-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
As far as I know any 1ltr Charade will work, the 1.3's may require you to reuse your halfshafts and other goodies and do some grinding, though I haven't heard much on that end.
OK good. There are a number of 5 spd transmissions in the area from 1.0 Charades from the late 80s. I guess the idea is to install them clutchless and then wait to shift with no rpm's?

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #40 (permalink)
newevr

I don't really know the specs on the one I have. It was listed as a 4 speed, but I have 5 forward gears. It included the shifter mechanism. The machanic that helped me with the changeout said " it lined up and slid in easily". It's made all the difference in the situation I'm in. I use it everyday for about 30 mi. round trip and maintain 30 mph pretty easily. I try not to go over 38 for fear of running the motor too fast. No clutch, it shifts comfortably when the rpm's line up. A little slower it seems to me without a clutch, but no problem. When I'm in a situation that's inconveniet to shift, I just take off in 3rd as a starting point, but usually I just shift normally as per rmay's advice.

The Following User Says Thank You to cbaker For This Useful Post:
Mark1801 (07-19-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread