Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #41 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1801 View Post
OK good. There are a number of 5 spd transmissions in the area from 1.0 Charades from the late 80s. I guess the idea is to install them clutchless and then wait to shift with no rpm's?

Thanks.
No choice other than clutchless without a special made adapter.

If you get all the parts together for your cheaply, get me a complete set of parts and I will buy them because here in wisconsin there are exactly ZERO charades.

Also if you have a big motor like cbaker don't worry about how fast you go as long as you are in the right gear for the speed, the Zenn dealer in Ohio straightened me out stating both the big and small motors are spec'd to 6300rpms or 46mph redline with stock gearing, add more gears and your top speed can go faster.

Just take care to get an ammeter because if you are in a high gear going full throttle up a long hill you might overheat.

Also I would love to get that pair of batterys but I have no idea how to get them from TN to WI unless you know somebody who goes between here and there often?

Cheers
Ryan

The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Mark1801 (07-28-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #42 (permalink)
newevr

I got the charade transmission, I believe they were all the same from the late 80's to early 90's. It had the linkage attached. The shifter mechanism is attached to a long bar that screws into the bottom. They cut the bottom out of the cup holder and put a little cover over the top. There was one on ebay in TX at that time for $125. but I don't know how hard it is to find the shifter by itself. I can't find a reverse on mine, but there's no need.

I don't know of anyone who makes that trip, but I'll ask around. 6500 rpm! That's where the redline is on the rpm meter. I figured it was just left over from the previous model. I still try not to exceed 40 mph. It's been extremely hot here and I'm not sure of the motor overheating, as well as the rpm spec, if there is one. There is a fan on the controller, but no cooling asistance for the motor. The rpm guage is hooked to the transmission so I have no idea of the real motor rpm. When I slip it out of gear it still goes with the speed of the vehicle.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #43 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaker View Post
6500 rpm! That's where the redline is on the rpm meter. I figured it was just left over from the previous model. I still try not to exceed 40 mph. It's been extremely hot here and I'm not sure of the motor overheating, as well as the rpm spec, if there is one. There is a fan on the controller, but no cooling asistance for the motor. The rpm guage is hooked to the transmission so I have no idea of the real motor rpm. When I slip it out of gear it still goes with the speed of the vehicle.
On this EV they assumed you were always in gear, the stock 2nd gear. So they tied the speedo and the rpms, the RPM guage is very accurate in 2nd gear, any other gear it is wrong. The reason this was needed is there was no cheap easy way to generate a signal for the gas RPM guage off the motor directly so they cheated.

And yes you can go over 40mph in a "higher" gear, you just need to take it easy or play it safe which means you can't drive an extended period of time above 40mph, but if its flat ground, no wind, I would guess 5-10 miles probably wouldn't hurt anything (I have driven that far flat out 45mph without issue on the small motor for above 5 miles each way, but my motor amps were around 100, much higher and I wouldn't have risked it on my tinker toy motor)

If you get an ammeter you can see if your in the safe or dangerous area while at speed. (your big motor should easily withstand about 175amps for approx an hour, not counting acceleration and other events)

So, It is possible you could travel at higher speeds safely, it all depends on how many amps you are burning to go that speed, it also would help if you weighed the motor and posted

Finding a motor on a budget - DIY Electric Car Forums

there with your motor specifics, including its weight.

On a DC motor, weight = HP. More weight more resistance to heating up.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 07-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #44 (permalink)
newevr

I am looking at my ammeter now and trying to decide where to put it and the shunt. Any suggestions? I was thinking just drill into the dash to the left of the glovebox. It says on the positive leg between the battery and the load. The shunt is pretty big. Its a Westberg 500A with a Deltec 500A 50 mV shunt. I guess the shunt should go by the aux battery somewhere.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #45 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
I am looking at my ammeter now and trying to decide where to put it and the shunt. Any suggestions?
I just glued a couple plastic mounting tabs to the top of the black box (by the battery that has contactors and controller inside)

I then bought a cheap 1' ought 3 battery cable and put the shunt right there on top of the box, My wires routed through the drivers side firewall and up to the top of the dash.

Not beautiful but it works perfectly.

Cheers
Ryan
cbaker (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #46 (permalink)
newevr

Did you put the shunt on the positive side between the controller and the motor?
Old 07-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
No choice other than clutchless without a special made adapter.

If you get all the parts together for your cheaply, get me a complete set of parts and I will buy them because here in wisconsin there are exactly ZERO charades.

Also if you have a big motor like cbaker don't worry about how fast you go as long as you are in the right gear for the speed, the Zenn dealer in Ohio straightened me out stating both the big and small motors are spec'd to 6300rpms or 46mph redline with stock gearing, add more gears and your top speed can go faster.

Just take care to get an ammeter because if you are in a high gear going full throttle up a long hill you might overheat.

Also I would love to get that pair of batterys but I have no idea how to get them from TN to WI unless you know somebody who goes between here and there often?

Cheers
Ryan
I just bought a 2008. It's got the larger ac motor. The batteries are "dead." Whats your method of reviving these type batteries?. Reportedly, they were working 6 months ago, so they have been sitting 6 months. if you've already posted this somewhere else, let me know. I've seen both you guys talking ev on several sites.
Mark
Old 07-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #48 (permalink)
newevr

check the first few pages of this thread. rmay described the procedure.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #49 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Quote:
Did you put the shunt on the positive side between the controller and the motor?
I am measuring battery amps off the last battery in the string to the controller. (have to look when I get home but its the one up front next to the controller) It is possible I am forcing more through motor side but only if I am PWM which is doubtful at wot.

Motor amps are interesting but generally less important because you usually have to drive WOT in these cars anyway.
(WOT means battery amps = motor amps)

You could of coarse have both a motor shunt and battery shunt to see how the two relate with speed and throttle position, the odd part is at lower speeds part throttle you may be pushing almost the same amps as you do full throttle motor side.

It depends on how much field strength you have and how much PWM you are using.

Cheers
Ryan
cbaker (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #50 (permalink)
newevr

OK, I got the ammeter and shunt installed. I've been driving too aggressively! If I need to stay below 100 amps I'm going to have to change my ways. There is a big difference between WOT and half way on the throttle. I put it on the positive of the battery in the front next to the controller. It then comes out to what appears to be another shunt for maybe the voltmeter? I mounted the gauge in the accessory shelf below the radio and angled it up. I ran through the firewall as rmay suggested. There was already a wiring harness going through there. The rubber has degraded so there was a little tear that I ran through. I might need some silicone this winter if I feel a breeze. This is a 5 speed tranny. I finally found reverse. Second seems shorter than the original and third seems longer. When I took a few hills the way I've been doing it at WOT in fourth, the meter shot to 150 immediately. Back off to halfway and it came down to 100. I was still able to maintain 29mph. Thanks for all the help on this. I'm lucky I haven't “zorched” something already.

Reply  Post New Thread