Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #81 (permalink)
Dave Upton

Smile Shunt information

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Yes the length is very important, my 48v motor requires about 12 FEET, a 72v motor would require more in general.
Ryan, Is your shunt simply a bare coil of wire in open air? A coil as if you wrapped the copper wire around a circular object until the length was the correct omeg value? Or did you wrap it with 3M 130c rubber tape and insulate it? I guess a picture would be great if you had one. Thank you,

Dave

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #82 (permalink)
newevr

OK, i finally got the new charger, dc converter, and paktrakr installed. Much better battery performance with the new charger. I got confused with a step in the change out and called support with miles and got a really nice and experienced guy on the phone. The new charger just does the 6 traction batteries, and the converter stays on all the time. Seems strange but it's working. The paktrakr shows 2 batteries below the other 4. I must have damaged them more than the others by demanding more than I should. I keep a close eye on that ammeter now. My trip capacity has gone down. When these were new I could easily get 30 miles now about 20. I can charge at work now that it's cooler. I experimenting with one of the old batteries in the spot of the new weaker one this weekend, just to see if it makes a difference. The tranny makes this medium speed thing very doable if I can just keep from putting too great a load on the batteries. This new charger has several different profiles so I need to get more informed on battery options.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #83 (permalink)
newevr

Well I hope this is the last post on this upgrade. The tranny trade out got me to medium speed. It's too easy to blow up the batteries without monitering the amperage, which I probably did before I was able to get the ammeter and put it in. The local battery shop I bought the batteries covered the 2 I damaged under warrenty even though I let them know it was probably my own fault, so I'm back up to over 30 miles on a charge. The voltmeter on the paktrakr is great and blows the one on the miles away. There is quite often a 5 volt difference or more if I'm on my daily run, so keeping an eye on the miles voltmeter is not enough. Several weeks ago I noticed a small leak in the gear oil seal. I ordered a main round seal for the Charade but it was too small. The mechanic that helps me just measured with a caliper and found a replacement that worked. I'm interested to see how these batteries hold up. The Delta Q unit has several different charging algorithm settings. It came set on one that is named " Concorde 10xAh AGM " that seems to work well, but since my Powersonic batteries are a replacement for the vision 150 agm's I tried switching to the one labeled Discover 75-150ah. I was able to moniter it and it quickly started overcharging so I changed back to the original setting. 2-5 rest at 13.2 and 1 and 6 rest at 13.3.

observations:
I still have to slow down on steep grades to around 20mph to keep the amps down to 100 or so.
Rmay is a genius!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #84 (permalink)
Dave Upton

Mission accompolished!

Quote:
Yes the length is very important, my 48v motor requires about 12 FEET, a 72v motor would require more in general.
Hey guys,

It has been months since my last post and the miles car has been sitting all this time with failed batteries and so on. Finally got in touch with a man in Ohio from a miles car he had listed. Anyway, he sells the filed weakening kit with the contactor and so on. Made a few mods to the kit on the install and with new Everstart deep cycle batteries from Walmart, 2 year warranty, smaller case though with only a 115 map hour rating, she will do 36mph flat and level and with a very slight down hill as high as 46mph. This is all the faster we need around town. No need to do a transmission swap though I found one for $100. Other than bumping the voltage up to 84V for a little more umph, I think we are good to go! Currently I am up to 20 miles per charge with the Algorithm set at (5) on the Delta Q which is the same setting for the Trojan. I don't think the batteries are reaching their max state of charge though so I will contact Delta Q and confirm the setting is correct. No battery overheating whatsoever. Progress is good though! It's almost like driving a real car now!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #85 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSell View Post
No need to do a transmission swap though I found one for $100.
Where did you find this? I would like to buy it since I am stuck on 48v.

Quote:
Other than bumping the voltage up to 84V for a little more umph, I think we are good to go!
Your existing charger cant charge 84v if its a 72v charger, you will need to wire the big charger to 72v worth of batteries and have a 12v quick charger for the last one.

Sadly "my" miles got smashed in the door but some dip that doesn't stop at stop signs, still drivable but I really need a door
Old 03-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #86 (permalink)
Dave Upton

Thumbs up I can help with this!

Quote:
Where did you find this? I would like to buy it since I am stuck on 48v.

Your existing charger cant charge 84v if its a 72v charger, you will need to wire the big charger to 72v worth of batteries and have a 12v quick charger for the last one.

Sadly "my" miles got smashed in the door but some dip that doesn't stop at stop signs, still drivable but I really need a door
HI rmay, I have the Battery issue covered with another charger for the additional 12V battery when I install it! Stock controller dumps at 91V. Spoke to several other miles drivers who did this with no issues. Sorry to hear about your door. : ( That really sucks, but, I think I can help you with that, and the transmission as well. The transmission I found was in Albany OR. Here is the URL Autowrecking.com - B & R Auto - Late Model Car and Truck Parts : Albany, Oregon This was about two months ago I checked. They did not have the shifting linkage though I am told that an older Ford Fiesta will work in a pinch.

But, the gentleman I came in contact with regarding the Field Weakening kit is from Ashland Ohio. He owns Wix.com NCZ created by zennfriend based on Car Com His name is Vic Stayley. Vic imported and sold a huge amount of NEV/LSV's in the upper United States. Man does this guy know NEV's and a whole lot more. He and two other individuals did several R&D projects on the NEV's one of which was going to be the miles ZX40S 50/50. 50 miles per hour top speed and 50 miles per charge. They ran the car on 96 volts and updated the motor to a D&D. But, they also experimented using the stock 72V Chinese motor that comes factory and had really strong results with it as well.

His back story is really interesting. Super guy to talk to. Anyway, he has parts cars, like Miles parts cars. He also told me he has the Charade transmissions as well but I do not know what he was asking for them as I had found the one in Albany OR. (Don't need it now though).

Vic's number is 419-606-3140. I have a feeling he will have just what you are seeking and more! I am really pleased with the field weakening on my 2007. Totally new car. Most the time I have the Solenoid energized. I know it draws more current but I have yet to get the motor, controller, or wiring, in the least bit warm much less hot. I drive the skate pretty much foot to the floor around town and it is up and down hill here as well. So far the new Everstart Marine batteries I purchased from Walmart are doing well. I am now up to 17 miles before a charge. I figured going into this that the best I will ever do with these batteries is going to be 25 miles per charge. But, if you are all local like us, $100 per battery with a two year unconditional warranty is a really great deal. I think they are rated at 115 amp hour. And the car does a solid 35mph with them so that works too.

Anyway, hope Vic can hook you up with the parts you need!

Best Regards, Dave Upton, North Bend OR
Old 03-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #87 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
His name is Vic Stayley. Vic imported and sold a huge amount of NEV/LSV's in the upper United States. Man does this guy know NEV's and a whole lot more. He and two other individuals did several R&D projects on the NEV's one of which was going to be the miles ZX40S 50/50. 50 miles per hour top speed and 50 miles per charge. They ran the car on 96 volts and updated the motor to a D&D. But, they also experimented using the stock 72V Chinese motor that comes factory and had really strong results with it as well.

Best Regards, Dave Upton, North Bend OR
I have talked to him several times, small world, and I have asked him for a door, sadly he only has black.

I also know your name, I believe from the c-car group.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #88 (permalink)
Dave Upton

I realized last night after reading one of your prior posts that you already knew of Vic. "The Dealer in Ohio". Well I am bummed he did not have a door in White, I am assuming. Well, maybe the transmission here in Albany might work out? I will keep an eye out for a door. I know of a complete 2007 with less than 500 miles on it in California. Asking $2,900 but bet they would take $2,300. Miles ZX40 electric car
And there is an 09 with low miles at MC Electric in Seattle asking $5,900 and needs batteries. They all need batteries! 2009 Miles ZX40S at MC Electric Vehicles in Seattle, WA

Here is an 09 in Sacramento with one year old batteries with only 40 miles on it. Probably the best deal for a near new car. It has been listed for a while so I am sure he would take less than asking price. Go Green 100% Electric 4dr AT 35MPH Like New!

I have two EV's already or would look int one of these. I still have a 2008 Vango passenger van. Installing new batteries, BMS, and higher geared ring and pinion for the Dana rear end. Should do near 40mph when done. I can't really change the programming on the controller because it is already turning 5,800 rpm at 26mph so gearing is the clear answer and leave the controller programming where it it stands for now.

Dave

Reply  Post New Thread