Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2022, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
New UN Climate Report = we've hit 'tipping-points'

The Director of the UN was on PBS NEWSHOUR last night mentioning the new climate report. He said that we'd hit some tipping points now.
Those acquainted with what that means will understand.
A close friends' daughter, who'd married an Australian national, got word that his parents, in New Queensland, had lost everything in the recent historic flooding there. And it spread south.
Not 'IMBY' quite yet, just folks I've met and know.
It's not just Australia.
Wildfires, Floods, Megadrought, cattle and fish losses, and irrigation collapse, crop failures in Iraq, $1-billion/mile AMTRAK tunnel repair cost from Super Storm Sandy, 90% cattle loss in areas of W. Africa, Brazilian floods, 4- Tropical cyclones striking Madagascar, up to 3-feet sea level rise in 5-years if Thwaites Glacier goes, Putin's having to refrigerate the ground supporting GAZPROM infrastructure in Siberia due to melting permafrost, 100% collapse of the grape harvest in Champagne, France..................
Interesting times.

Last edited by aerohead; 03-03-2022 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: add link
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-03-2022, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
I attribute all misfortune to global warming, and no fortune to it.

I heard that Covid was a direct result of global warming, and Robin Williams would still be with us if not for the pending doom.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 03-03-2022, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Those acquainted with what that means implies will understand.
[sorry]

Old 03-03-2022, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

attribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I attribute all misfortune to global warming, and no fortune to it.

I heard that Covid was a direct result of global warming, and Robin Williams would still be with us if not for the pending doom.
The IPCC reports are a product of attribution studies conducted by the contributing scientists.
As far as the state-of-the art goes, these works represents a time-delayed representation of the best information available.
We know that these reports are always behind the curve temporally, because of deadline for publication constraints, so , by default, are 'conservative' in their conclusions.
I suppose that your snarky remarks are allowable under Ecomodder protocols, although don't move the ball down the field, one way or another.
As I sit here, the students across the street at the university are incurring tens of thousands of dollars in debt to purchase information and knowledge.
It's remarkable to me that people want to complain when someone tells them, 'for free', that their children are being poisoned by the municipal water supply.
I don't get it.
The IPCC reports are in the same spirit as the local 'boil-water' health department notice, just on a greater scale.
But go ahead and let your children swim in 80+ F, brain-eating amoeba-infested pond. Obviously, the local health department is only there to ruin their halcyon days of Summer vacation.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I was in San Diego last week, and it was a bit cool for my comfort.

As far as IPCC reports go, they aren't meant to be conservative nor alarmist, but their best predictions based on various data. They give a probable range of outcomes based on the level of uncertainty, again not biased towards optimistic or pessimistic results.

I have more regard for IPCC opinion than other sources primarily because top experts in relevant fields are employed, and it attempts objectivity while largely steering clear of politics. It's the politicians and other leaders of false religion that I hold contempt for as they prey on the fearful to advance their personal objectives. I'm made immune to their manipulation by setting aside fear. Stoicism is achieved by understanding humanity got along with her problems for the thousands of years prior to my arrival, and will get along well after I depart.

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

regard

Quote:
I was in San Diego last week, and it was a bit cool for my comfort.

As far as IPCC reports go, they aren't meant to be conservative nor alarmist, but their best predictions based on various data. They give a probable range of outcomes based on the level of uncertainty, again not biased towards optimistic or pessimistic results.

I have more regard for IPCC opinion than other sources primarily because top experts in relevant fields are employed, and it attempts objectivity while largely steering clear of politics. It's the politicians and other leaders of false religion that I hold contempt for as they prey on the fearful to advance their personal objectives. I'm made immune to their manipulation by setting aside fear. Stoicism is achieved by understanding humanity got along with her problems for the thousands of years prior to my arrival, and will get along well after I depart.
I have to consider climate scientists in the context of Volkswagen aerodynamicists in the early 1970s.
Climate change was already a 'thing' (it's in my 1974 college text on internal combustion ), and VW had an opportunity to sell a Cd 0.34 Golf/ Rabbit, but manufactured a Cd 0.43 Golf/Rabbit because of contractual obligations with designer Giorgetto Giugiaro, which itself amplified global warming.
The 'scientist' can present the information, and the recipient of the information has the authority not to act upon it.
That's where the money trail might begin.
Although, as they say, ' don't attribute to malfeasance what can be explained by ignorance.'
So far, it's not a global crime to be ignorant.
Old 03-03-2022, 03:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

>

Woke means you're a loser....everything woke turns to ****.

Donald J Trump 8/21/21

Disclaimer...

I’m not a climatologist, aerodynamicist, virologist, physicist, astrodynamicist or marine biologist..

But...

I play one on the internet.

The Following User Says Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Doom

1) The human brain evolved for quick-and-dirty judgement about likely patterns of events unfolding around us.
2) Survival depends on out-computing competitors/ predators.
3) 'Marketers' attempt to get a 'listener' to disconnect the pre-frontal cortex, disinhibit the R-Complex ( reptilian mind), sending them directly into a fight-or-flight response. No thinking! Only reactive behavior.
* vulnerability
* awareness
* precaution
* vigilance
* intentional observation
* sensory processing
* psychophysics
* threat recognition
* threat multipliers
* anomalies
* mobilization
* response/ action
* appraisal
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In order to compete with sustenance, shelter, security, status, self-actualization, sex, baseball, football, soccer, golf, hunting, shooting, fishing, skiing, sport parachuting, scuba diving ............. ad infinitum, anyone attempting to arrest you long enough to deliver some information may have to play a trump card, catering to your most primeval survival psychology.
'Doom and Gloom' would be part of that toolkit.
Fear-of-loss!
Fear-of-not-getting-it-in-the-first place so you can fear it's loss after you get it!
Old 03-03-2022, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Precisely right.

I'm among the least marketable simply because I tend to fear less than others by nature. I don't have any unusual fears except perhaps the fear of public speaking/dancing (I started a dance party the weekend before last with the aid of beer).

That's not to say I'm not susceptible to all the things humans are; only that I'm markedly less susceptible to them, tending to delay action rather than be reactive. If my threat perception of GW changes AND there is a viable course of personal action I can take as an individual, I'll do it and proclaim I had previously been in error.

In the meantime, I'll continue exploring my interest in efficiency as it relates to my overall frame of viewing life as a series of interconnected optimization problems.

Last edited by redpoint5; 03-03-2022 at 09:22 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

interconnected

Quote:
Precisely right.

I'm among the least marketable simply because I tend to fear less than others by nature. I don't have any unusual fears except perhaps the fear of public speaking/dancing (I started a dance party the weekend before last with the aid of beer).

That's not to say not susceptible to all the things humans are; only that I'm markedly less susceptible to them, tending to delay action rather than be reactive. If my understanding threat perception of GW changes AND there is a viable course of personal action I can take as an individual, I'll do it and proclaim I had previously been in error.

In the meantime, I'll continue exploring my interest in efficiency as it relates to my overall frame of viewing life as a series of interconnected optimization problems.
I've noticed the 'interdisciplinary' aspect of your reporting, so I know you're seeing a larger slice of the world than the average bear. That'll put you in good stead for the future.
I myself never got a real education formally, and have had to scrap for knowledge wherever it was found.
I do like problem-solving.
I don't pretend to know firsthand what scientists know, but I like their reporting, and how hard they try to get it all right.

Last edited by aerohead; 03-03-2022 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, scam