Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via AIM to Darkrider Send a message via MSN to Darkrider Send a message via Yahoo to Darkrider
Newbie here from the great white north

Hello everyone,

My name is chris and i found this site while doing some online research on reverse trikes, When i initially found this place i was actually looking for info on the Norton Shrike vehicle and found it mentioned in a thread on here. After doing some looking around i got reading some of the interesting project builds on here such as Coyote X's Metro XFI convertable rebuild. I gotta say that is one very wicked build! I never would have considered something like a full tube chassis metro before. The main vehicle i would be trying some of the ideas found on here on is my '94 Acura Integra RS. It helps a lot that it is already a fairly areodynamic car to begin with but there is plenty of room for improvement. And funny enough a lot of the tricks that can be done to the Integra also help it performance wise as well so its a win/win situation I hope to learn a lot from being on here and hope to be able to provide what ever help i can as well.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Like this?

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ncy-12602.html

Old 01-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via AIM to Darkrider Send a message via MSN to Darkrider Send a message via Yahoo to Darkrider
Would love to see where they managed to get over 600 lbs reduced from that car but anyways, I can see doing pretty much all the areo mods they have listed on there to my integra. Though i might consider the idea of fabricating a fiberglass lip spoiler on the rear hatch in place of the stock RS spoiler. I may need to go looking for a spare hatch to play around with that idea! One thing im def going to look into is doing a grille block on my car as well. One major advantage of the 98+ front end besides the flush fitting headlights is the fact that the nose piece is all one piece as compared to the 2 piece parts on the 94-97 model. Either way...thanks for the link and i will def have to look at the article closer to see how much of the info i can actually make use of.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
He ain't gonna die!

Tree Catcher - '94 Acura Integra LS
90 day: 32.12 mpg (US)

The Old Dog - '92 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 31.58 mpg (US)
Welcome Darkrider, I have the same car you do, 94 Integra, but in LS form with broken ABS...so the same car.

I'm still pretty new here too, but I've done two things that made a very big difference to my car. First, I jacked the tire pressure to 44psi, and that seemed to add about 1 mpg, then I also built a cardboard grill block prototype that works perfectly, keeps the engine in the temp range it should be, and stopped the parachute effect of that wide open mouth and gave me another 1.5 mpg. I've also adjusted my driving style so all in all, I'm getting about 33.5 mpg combined with my teggy.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
Welcome Darkrider, I have the same car you do, 94 Integra, but in LS form with broken ABS...so the same car.

I'm still pretty new here too, but I've done two things that made a very big difference to my car. First, I jacked the tire pressure to 44psi, and that seemed to add about 1 mpg, then I also built a cardboard grill block prototype that works perfectly, keeps the engine in the temp range it should be, and stopped the parachute effect of that wide open mouth and gave me another 1.5 mpg. I've also adjusted my driving style so all in all, I'm getting about 33.5 mpg combined with my teggy.
Thanks! and Thanks for the Info!! Do you happen to have any pics of your grille block prototype? Im going to see if i can find some LRR type tires in a suitable size for the tegs before i start jacking the pressure up on the tires. One thing that the RS has is the fact it has a lot less heavy parts on it such as ABS and the passenger airbag already being deleted from the factory. If im not mistaken its roughly about 100 lbs lighter then your LS due to this.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
He ain't gonna die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
Thanks! and Thanks for the Info!! Do you happen to have any pics of your grille block prototype? Im going to see if i can find some LRR type tires in a suitable size for the tegs before i start jacking the pressure up on the tires. One thing that the RS has is the fact it has a lot less heavy parts on it such as ABS and the passenger airbag already being deleted from the factory. If im not mistaken its roughly about 100 lbs lighter then your LS due to this.
I do, click on my car called "Tree Catcher" below my name and it'll take you there. And do the tire pressure thing, it's free and makes a big difference.

I've been considering getting a Civic VX and swapping the non-abs brakes, manual steering, engine, transmission, wiring harness and CPU into the Teggy, and then do the exact opposite, put all the crap from the Teggy into the VX then resell the VX to some rice rocket lover at a profit, and take the high MPG lean burn engine, but still have a cool looking car with power windows n stuff.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Those are def some good ideas, I like the grille block that you did on your teg. I suspect I will require a slightly larger opening due to my teg being an automatic. One of the things I had planned on doing to it is swapping out the B18 for a lower mileage B20 from a crv and adding a hondata S300 tuning set up to it. With the hondata I could tune the tegs computer to have similar programming to the Lean burn civic vx you mentioned. The extra displacement will make it easier for the engine to move the heavier integra. Well in theory anyway.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
He ain't gonna die!

All things being equal, bigger engines burn more fuel, and the Teg's 1.8 has no trouble moving the car as it is, mine anyway never strains. I can usually accelerate up hills in 5th gear, or at least maintain speed on steep hills in 5th. To make a larger engine save fuel, you have to spin it at a lower RPM, which means you could have better luck sticking with the stock engine, and doing something about the transmission to make your gears taller, rather than putting in a larger engine. A M/T swap would be cheaper, easier and more effective in your case.

If you drive your car modestly and aren't doing a lot of hill driving or towing, the small opening should be fine, the AT isn't going to generate a ton of heat unless its working, aka the torque converter is never locked up.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Rooster For This Useful Post:
Darkrider (01-31-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 03:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hmmm that makes a lot of sense. The current engine it the car is at just over 202000 miles (325000 kms) and uses about 1 quart of oil for every 625 miles (1000 kms). If I could reduce the oil consumption somehow I would def have no problem with staying with that engine. I have seriously considered doing a 5 speed swap in the past and was leaning more towards running a Teg Gsr or type R transmission. But now that I'm looking more towards higher fuel mileage I should consider the LS transmission instead. I'm sure I could consider doing a mild overhaul and possably do an over bore on the stock motor while its out for the manual swap. It is not my daily driver so I can have it down to do modifications to it.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
He ain't gonna die!

It might be cheaper to find a JDM replacement engine for your car, not sure what they go for in Canada, but here in the US, they're pretty cheap.

Here's an example, wrong year (Its OBDII), but right motor, you could still use it, you would just have to canibalize all your sensors n' stuff from the old motor. $850 US 45k miles.

JDM INTEGRA B18B LS ENGINE B18 MOTOR OBD2 B20B GSR B16A - eBay (item 150554522129 end time Feb-05-11 12:11:10 PST)

Reply  Post New Thread