Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I would prefer the basic car with plug in electronics that were easily upgradeable.

Probably a generational thing, but I have seen many older owners who have options they never used, or even knew how to use.

A removable unit that plugs into your instrument cluster area, that could be a portable information device.

The car would not operate unless you had the unit plugged in and it could be capable of being customized to your preferences.

Instead of upgrading your car, you could upgrade the plug in unit.

Many cars running around today with long obsolete electronic equipment, best example is navigation systems.

regards
Mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
So you've already broken your gauges and idiot lights so they don't have prompts that need to be responded to?
None of them have prompts that need to be responded to. I may need to do something about the condition shown by the gauge/idiot light, but that's a separate matter. For instance, if the "low fuel" idiot light comes on, I know I've got maybe 50 miles to find a gas station, but I don't have to take my attention away from the road to figure out how to click on Yes/No to clear the prompt so I can see the rest of the display. It's just really bad user interface design.

As for going back to caves... well, isn't that what talking machines do? It took human civilization thousands of years to get to a point where literacy was the norm, and now we head back to the caves, because instead of reading, machines can be built to speak?

Nor do I see why I should have to pay for a "navigation system". I understand that some people are geographically challenged, just as some have physical disabilities, but I see no reason why I should pay the cost - and endure the inconveniences - of having their assistive technology in my car.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
A few interesting things from that picture: regen isn't as strong as I'd hoped for a car with such a large battery. The Insight's regen is puny, at just shy of 10kW. This car is twice as heavy, has 30 times the battery capacity, and apparently only three times as much regen.
How much regen can someone really use? I've been driving a 3rd gen Prius recently and the friction brakes won't engage unless I really jump on the pedal. I wonder if they could even use more than 3x what current hybrids use w/o skidding.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
As for going back to caves... well, isn't that what talking machines do? It took human civilization thousands of years to get to a point where literacy was the norm, and now we head back to the caves, because instead of reading, machines can be built to speak?
I hope you never find out about youtube, hulu, netflix or heaven forbid... television. Oh no! I've already said too much
Old 10-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Just convinced me that I'm never going to buy a Leaf. Machines should not speak, and dashboard displays should not have prompts that need to be responded to.
The Leaf is controlled by MicroSoft Mobile whatever, which basically means I won't even consider it.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #46 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
I hope you never find out about youtube, hulu, netflix or heaven forbid... television. Oh no! I've already said too much
Television is terrible. I tried it, and I got rid of it. Many people spend $1000/yr and, according to the EPA, six hours a day on that habit, but I'm happier without it.

I do miss Jeopardy!, though.

The other downside is, because I am exposed to VERY few ads now, I fail to pick up on some pop culture references to the latest corporate mascot.

Youtube is handy, though, and there are a half dozen television series whose RSS feeds I've subscribed to.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I think the audible warnings could be disabled?

I watch broadcast TV -- it is free. The few shows I like that I would need to subscribe to see -- I watch on the Internets...

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 10-25-2010, 12:22 AM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
I have a love/hate relationship with television, though I've never owned one. I love it because it makes it so easy for me to feel superior to the majority (especially those macho guys watching sports while practicing the 12-ounce curl), but I hate it because I know feeling superior is a serious personality flaw :-)
Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #49 (permalink)
Polymorphic Modder

2006 DaCivic Hybrid - '06 Honda Civic Hybrid
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Just wondering what the Nissan saleman was refering to when he said "Make a cell phone call to the Leaf" How would this be implemented? Will you have to sign up for a seperate cellphone service plan for the car? Another fee not mentioned in the glossy sales pitch?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Charger - '15 BMW i3
The leaf is connected to a cellphone data network. As far as I know this is covered in the purchase price, but I can imagine it would be a pain if you don't get signal from their chosen carrier.

EDIT/UPDATE: The Leaf has AT&T 3G, so for people without AT&T signal at home and/or work, lots of the cool stuff won't work.

Last edited by tumnasgt; 10-25-2010 at 08:41 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread