Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: virginia beach
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oil bypass system

I havent seen much talk around here about a oil bypass system. It filters out oil down to 2 microns and makes the oil able to last virtually forever. The use them on trucks all the time. I have one on my wifes yaris and havent changed the oil in 15000 miles and it still looks clean. Look into amsoil website.

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 02-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
(:
 
Frank Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: up north
Posts: 12,761

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,585
Thanked 3,546 Times in 2,215 Posts
Perhaps there's not much talk about it because the stock oiling system, maintained with el cheapo Fram filters and Wal Mart oil, and changed at NORMAL duty intervals (if not even less frequently) will allow engines to survive to 300,000 miles and beyond. In many cases, the rest of the car is shot or the owner is sick to death of driving it before the 300,000 mile mark arrives.
__________________


  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
low&slow (02-08-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack
 
nimblemotors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 335
Thanks: 12
Thanked 58 Times in 40 Posts
I suggest removing the oil to increase MPG, the oil pump robs a lot of engine power. If you use those additives you don't need an oil pump, they show them on TV were they drain out the oil, and the engine still runs great.
This should help MPG a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Perhaps there's not much talk about it because the stock oiling system, maintained with el cheapo Fram filters and Wal Mart oil, and changed at NORMAL duty intervals (if not even less frequently) will allow engines to survive to 300,000 miles and beyond. In many cases, the rest of the car is shot or the owner is sick to death of driving it before the 300,000 mile mark arrives.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nimblemotors For This Useful Post:
low&slow (02-08-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Russellville, KY
Posts: 540
Thanks: 8
Thanked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Hell, my '88 Escort has never had a by-pass system on it, I'm currently using 10K mile oil change interval using conventional oil and have been for about the last 40K miles, the car has 514K miles on the original engine with no rebuilds and still running. Engine still holds about 40-50 PSI oil pressure on a warm engine at 50-55 MPH on the highway and about 20-25 PSI at idle. Now tell me how a by-pass system will give me better service.
__________________



  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
redneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SC Lowcountry
Posts: 1,595

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanks: 206
Thanked 1,249 Times in 637 Posts
Quote:
I suggest removing the oil to increase MPG, the oil pump robs a lot of engine power. If you use those additives you don't need an oil pump, they show them on TV were they drain out the oil, and the engine still runs great.
This should help MPG a lot.


Sarcasm I hope...

As far as reducing horsepower requirements to get more mpg it would be better to use a dry sump with crank scrapers and or windage trays, as these would reduce the amount of HP needed for the crank to rotate.


>
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack
 
nimblemotors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 335
Thanks: 12
Thanked 58 Times in 40 Posts
a crank scraper is a good idea, but it wouldn't be needed if you drained the oil from the crankcase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post


Sarcasm I hope...

As far as reducing horsepower requirements to get more mpg it would be better to use a dry sump with crank scrapers and or windage trays, as these would reduce the amount of HP needed for the crank to rotate.


>
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Jack
 
nimblemotors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 335
Thanks: 12
Thanked 58 Times in 40 Posts
if you do use oil, using the thin 0wt oil helps, you can add some water to it to thin it out a little more.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 119

Laura the Lancer - '81 Mitsibishi lancer LX
Thanks: 0
Thanked 28 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post


Sarcasm I hope...

As far as reducing horsepower requirements to get more mpg it would be better to use a dry sump with crank scrapers and or windage trays, as these would reduce the amount of HP needed for the crank to rotate.


>
as i do dyno tuning when i get a mod done.
the guys at my dyno shop are into there v8's
they have a car with dry sump, lumpy cam, and an ecu flash
they said the dry sump only gave them about 14kw.

btw there car makes about 470ishkw so yeah
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 239
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pounsfos View Post
as i do dyno tuning when i get a mod done.
the guys at my dyno shop are into there v8's
they have a car with dry sump, lumpy cam, and an ecu flash
they said the dry sump only gave them about 14kw.

btw there car makes about 470ishkw so yeah
Dry sump oil pumps have more drain on HP then wet sump oil pump .

There is a vid of big block wet sump on dyno that they remove 1 qt and it gained noticeable amount of hp. this was large wet sump i believe 6qt ,so they ran 5 qt .
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 655

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Thanks: 35
Thanked 74 Times in 57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
if you do use oil, using the thin 0wt oil helps, you can add some water to it to thin it out a little more.
0wt? yes. water? no, that's just asking for problems

__________________

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com