Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #121 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
Imagine trying to turn the wheel with a manual rack at a slow speed AND using the e-throttle on the gear lever at the same time.
so his left arm is just going to get disproportionally bigger than his right nothing wrong with that

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #122 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I showed your diagram to a friend of mine and he is worried that the bearing and shaft on the electric motor is not large enough to handle the vibration of the drive shaft, I think that the TransWarp motor that is designed to connect to the drive shaft has an extra support bearing, something to keep in mind that might save you a tow home.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #123 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'd love to see the full EV hot-rod video, if your friend will allow you to post the link.
Thnx, Mike in FL
Old 01-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #124 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Well, I'm not married to the Throttle-on-a-Stick idea, but I don't think it would have to conflict with steering. Since the throttle on most EVs is just a simple potentiometer, it shouldn't be too hard to try out several different ways of running the throttle.

As for the manual steering, yes, something like what Gealii posted, except that I was thinking of the $100 from the salvage yard version, NOT the $Thousand Dollar performance parts store version.

I did e-mail two friends who have EV pickup truck conversions. I was only able to help minimally on both those projects, so I wasn't there when they did the steering.

I asked what they did and the one guy said he converted to manual steering. The other guy used a Toyota electric power steering pump, which he said was expensive, and he's still having trouble getting the controller to work on it right.

Another friend of mine who converted a Dodge Neon to electric also converted it to manual steering.

So, of just people I personally know, it seems like a manual steering conversion has been the most popular way to go. I also like the idea that it's the simplest setup - no additional pumps, motors, etc. etc.

I'm going to start hanging out on an S10 forum for advice specific to that truck, such as doing a manual steering change-over. (Anyone have a favorite S10 forum with people as cool and helpful as the users here?)

Ryland: Good point. I know those motors are supposed to be really well built. While a fair number of EV motors really aren't any different than forklift motors, the big NetGains have an extra bearing and a few other beefed-up details.

Maybe when I actually locate the motor I'll really be using in the project, I can take it over to Tom B at the Helwig Carbon research department. He's always tearing apart big motors and may have some advice on bearings, possibly adding one, etc.

Maybe a pillow-block bearing could be added to the end of the driveshaft?

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 01-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #125 (permalink)
EV test pilot

S10 - '95 Chevy S10

I did a little digging though some S10 forums, and people seem to be saying that it's a "bolt-on" conversion to swap from a Gen2 power steering to a Gen1 manual steering box.

Manual steering saves the space and weight of the power steering pump, and the power from the engine required to run the pump.

Most guys who have done the power-to-manual steering swap seem to be doing it for "performance". The weight savings and reduced parasitic drag on the engine give the vehicle a little more power.

In my case, I'm more interested just saving that energy and going for efficiency.

Here's a YouTube video of a guy showing a steering swap on a Blazer - which is just the SUV version of the S10/Sonoma pickup truck.

Here's a still image from that video that shows the power steering vs. the manual steering box.

After watching this YouTube video, it really doesn't look too hard to convert the steering. I've never worked on steering before, but I think I can handle this.

I'll just need the typical PB-Blaster, quadruple the time somebody else would take, and my typical batch of curse-words!

The great thing about anything I ever do is that if I can do it, it proves that ANYONE can!

My YouTube Videos
Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #126 (permalink)
EV test pilot

S10 - '95 Chevy S10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgedartgt View Post
I'd love to see the full EV hot-rod video...
Not to hijack my own thread, but I looked and saw that he did have that video posted on YouTube.
Lightning Electric Hot Rod - YouTube

My YouTube Videos
Old 01-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #127 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
If you want to keep your power steering, you probably already know that many EV conversions use a Toyota MR2 power steering pump.

Here is a very thorough thread on the subject. Lots of info:
Power Steering using Toyota MR2 EHPS pump - DIY Electric Car Forums
Quote:
3rd generation of MR2 also called Spyder has a single pump assembly combining motor, pump, fluid tank and controller, making it very attractive option for EV community.
Used on eBay seems to be $200-$350.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #128 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
Well, I'm not married to the Throttle-on-a-Stick idea, but I don't think it would have to conflict with steering. Since the throttle on most EVs is just a simple potentiometer, it shouldn't be too hard to try out several different ways of running the throttle.
Could even assemble the throttle in the steering wheel, similar to some setups used by handicapped drivers. Even the late Clay Regazzoni used it in some race vehicles.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #129 (permalink)
EV test pilot

S10 - '95 Chevy S10

I pulled the power steering pump and the steering gear from the truck yesterday.

I looked on some web search and found a salvage yard about an hour away that has the manual gear box. I called them today and told them what part I was looking for, and the guy said "Yeah, a lot of hot-rodders buy those up". I was too slow to reply with something clever about me being an "Eco-modder".

We're supposed to have really crazy nice weather tomorrow (50F in January in Wisconsin!?!?! ) so, I'm hoping I can make it out to the salvage yard.

In thinking about it, I should focus the project first on a few very simple things, like "What do I need to do to the truck to be able to move it into my garage?".

For example, if I could STEER the truck that would help. Manual steering won't require a 12V battery or an engine or ANYTHING else to work, so it's a good starting place, just to steer the truck into the garage.

I'll also made sure I have tires with air in them (two were flat before.) I think the thing after that will be brakes - making sure they aren't rusted solid, and then making sure they can work. The truck has power brakes. Even without vaccuum, they work, you just have to push hard!

My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 01-29-2013 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: added photo
Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #130 (permalink)
Super Lurker!

Rusty - '88 Chevrolet S10 base
90 day: 23.72 mpg (US)

Doc - '08 Honda Civic EX-L
90 day: 29.6 mpg (US)
You should see if that junkyard has a master cylinder from the same truck that had the manual steering rack. A lot of First generation S10's had non boosted brakes although they also had a different master cylinder to help compensate for it. I have been driving my S10 around with manual steering and un assisted brakes and for the most part even when hauling a load it has never been a problem. There have been a couple slightly hairy moments when driving on the interstate in rushhour traffic but just as long as you are aware of the limitations and give yourself extra distance it's not a problem.

The steering does take a little getting used to though as it is about one addidtional full rotation of the steering wheel for lock to lock steering so you have to constantly spin the steering wheel a lot more than you are used to. The only real problem with steering is while at a stop or while driving very slow, but once you get up to speed you will never even miss the power steering.

Tags
diy, electric, open revolt, open source, truck