Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #3651 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
OK, it's ready to order you guys. Adam found 3 things I overlooked, and I am so grateful that he looked it over! Thank you Adam! It was that dang SR portion. All the safety features were only done with 1 isolated 12v supply in place, but for SR, you need 2 isolated supplies, so you have to check for undervoltage and such for both. It's supposed to take 5 days, and then a few days to ship to me, so not too long.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #3652 (permalink)
AC-DC enthusiast

Dual-PWR PHEV - '04 Toyota Prius

Kopper - '79 Bradley Bradley GT-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
OK, it's ready to order you guys. Adam found 3 things I overlooked, and I am so grateful that he looked it over! Thank you Adam! It was that dang SR portion. All the safety features were only done with 1 isolated 12v supply in place, but for SR, you need 2 isolated supplies, so you have to check for undervoltage and such for both. It's supposed to take 5 days, and then a few days to ship to me, so not too long.
Huray!!!
Paul, a tiny question: Have you put a list of materials togheter for this controller version yet?
. . . . . . . .CALCars # 27. . . . . . . . . . ..on the works now !!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . ........
Old 08-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #3653 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hey Paul Why not have a BIG group Web X conrefance schematic review and then have a board layout review before you order it...
Old 08-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #3654 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Tech View Post
Hey Paul Why not have a BIG group Web X conrefance schematic review and then have a board layout review before you order it...
The problem with that, is he already ordered it. I have transcribed the schematic into eagle and was able to fit it within the limits of the free version. 3.14" x 3.93". This is using all the same parts as Paul in all the same packages. The advantage to drawing in eagle is you can use BatchPCB.com to order single boards. I've been using it for years. Cost is $2.50 per square inch plus $10 service charge(per order) and then shipping, which is usually around $5.

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com
Old 08-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #3655 (permalink)
PaulH

The main reason I didn't have a big group web x conference is that I've never heard of such a thing! haha.

The other reason is, I've tested every part of the circuit individually, but the SR part was new, so it was just a matter of cutting and pasting the same tiny circuits to deal with the SR addition. I am very very confident that there aren't mistakes now.

Also, I had the original control board for several months, and couldn't modify it, so I didn't want to get another file that I was limited to a 3"x4" board until I coughed up the $1000. Also, because it's such a small space, the ground plane is very broken up by tracks. That can affect the noise immunity for the traces. That may not be a problem at all, but it will have 1000 amps pulsing about 1 inch directly below it. hahaha. It is still a piece of art fitting that much in such an organized manner in such a small space.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #3656 (permalink)
PaulH

Oh ya, bill of materials. Yes, there's a bill of materials. I just need to post it. Maybe to the wiki wiki wiki. The software isn't done yet but is mostly done. So, this isn't exactly one of those "order it, get it next week, drive by Friday" sort of things, but it shouldn't be too long.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #3657 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
I can work on updating the wiki if the information comes to me.

Also - at the moment, I have permanent magnet motors to play with. The thread says it's for series wound motors. Will that make a difference?

Last edited by Nevyn; 08-06-2010 at 10:48 PM..
Old 08-07-2010, 12:50 AM   #3658 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rebellion - '16 KMX Framekit Custom electric velomobile
I've never designed a working controller before, but I do have work experience and training as an engineer(and am out of work without anything better to do); I'm interesed in modifying your 144V 500A design to operate at up to 240V 500A, with the 500A also being at least a 5 minute rating, if you wouldn't mind. I have a lot to learn about controller design, but having looked at the schematics available on the ReVolt wiki page, it seems a pretty straightforward affair to upgrade the max voltage; it will require more expensive MOSFETs though. I would not be intent on selling them, and entire new PCB layouts for the control board and power board will be needed, but the intent is to have a cheap high voltage controller that someone can assemble. That is the purpose of open source, after all. Do you have any handy references, books, or tips that would be helpful to redesigning this and making it work?

I do not have access to a milling machine.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #3659 (permalink)
PaulH

The only references I could suggest is going to evtech.org and signing up to the list. They have lots of knowledgeable people on there. 5 people will give you 10 excellent opinions about how to do something, and you can take what you want. I don't really know anything about electronics (I just modified the speedy controller from Ian in Australia, and then a friend made the control board for me), so if you find any good books, please let me know too.

By the way, I think a higher voltage version would be great! And I have no problem whatsoever if you changed your mind later and wanted to sell anything you want. I'm a big believer in everyone doing whatever they want (except like killing people) to help electric car stuff to keep getting better! And if someone can make some money on it, then great!

Nevin, I can email all the stuff to you, and you can figure out all the posting processes. Yuck. I hate that part. Once I tried to learn subversion (or whatever it was called) and made no progress whatsoever. I only know how to add attachments to email. Any sort of official "collaboration" or whatever makes me feel like I'm entering the movie Office Space, and I develop a serious case of the Mondays.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #3660 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
Nevin, I can email all the stuff to you, and you can figure out all the posting processes. I'm not smart enough to know how to use a computer! Once I tried to learn subversion (or whatever it was called) and made no progress whatsoever. I only know how to add attachments to email. Any sort of official "collaboration" or whatever makes me feel like I'm entering the movie Office Space, and I develop a serious case of the Mondays.
Hey, Subversion was one of my systems I cared for at my last job. It's okay, versioning is built into the wiki system. Perhaps a "computers for dummies" book for you? (Take that, stinky diaper man! )

You've got me email; bundle it up and trundle it off to me and I'll start making it happen.

Reply  Post New Thread