Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #5091 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

hi Paul, I just finished the 144/500 controller....thank you very much for you kind help and direction....now I am preparing the 1K controller with some changes at the Power stage. I have two Hitachi hude amp IGBT (1200V/1200A). I just wondering if you can help me with the IGBT driver circuit.
1. Using the same 1K controller board
2. need a different driver (IGBT driver that controlled by 'no.1')
etc...
would you please help...
note : sorry for my english...
thank you very much
regards

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #5092 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

sorry,
I just read another thread about IGBT driver...
thanks
Old 09-20-2011, 05:35 AM   #5093 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up

Hi Kusaw,
it is interesting to couple Paul's reliable 1Kamp controller with a couple of IGBT modules if for nothing just for it to be reliable and for peace of mind seeing that I'm a jinks when it comes to similar things.Can you please send me any info regarding this.
I invite anyone to join in.

Thanks.

pardon me if this caused any interruption in the smoothness of this thread but have been trying searches all over the place.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #5094 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

hi evimarn
I am waiting for the IGBT driver PCB right now, in the meantime I am reading some supporting document from IGBT datasheet. The need of the driver is to be able to inject enough current into the IGBT module (that what my understanding so far). learning from Paul and many other expert here, there are three main block of any kind of motor controller; PMW controller (can be microcontroller or else), driver stage, and Power stage (MOSFET, IGBT), if somebody has enough background, math calculation can be used for determin the design, if not then we have to do trial and error (sometimes cost more - more time, money, feel but also more fun as an benefit). I've done the 144V/500A Paul's controller. Also I've done ordering (order in Jakarta) PCB for 1KA controller (MOSFET base) - but according to this thread I have to re-order the driver PCB (as Rev 3). I'll do both, using 14 MOSFET and trial using IGBT.Now I am checking the PCB (worry if there is some mis-routing etc.....).
after done with this 1KA or 2KA controller (sometimes maybe next 1 or 2 months hahahaha- too busy), I'll do some trial design :
"using the same driver and power stage for motor controller and battery charger" - so, the idea is to do more money saving...theoritically doable. maybe by using the same microcontroller with 2 programs or maybe two different microcontroller....don't know yet.
my current project is building electric porsche cayman from VW old beetle donor car. The warp 11 already arrived (I bought from singapore Netgain reseller), the battery already arrived (plan is 144V/400AH) - pack from 48 block of 12V/102AH gel batteries. I am building 10 KW evwerks battery charger....and also build 13.4V/100A battery charger for 12V car electricity system (instead of using DC to DC converter), I already boudght 2001 FIAT PUNTO electric power steering couloum/wheel from ebay. bought disc brakje conversion kit from ebay. bought electric vacum brake system from ebay. .....hope will be done in the next 4 - 5 months.....then I'll share all photos and video....
cost a lot? yes, I hope this EV car will start the EV conversion hobby in Indonesia...

thats all for now...
KUSAW
The Following User Says Thank You to KUSAW For This Useful Post:
mpgmike (01-20-2022)
Old 09-21-2011, 02:59 AM   #5095 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Smile

Wow that is realy a nice project you are doing.
Mainly my interest of coupling Paul's controller with igbts is to have a higher voltage safety margin as I am obsessed about safety margins.
Also if I intend to up the power it will safely handle the burden.So far it seems that only IGBTs can do it with ease at least voltage wise correct if I am wrong,albeit at some cost such as heat /efficiency, although using a module seems much easier to have a cooling solution.
Just my idea,usually they ain't so good, so that is why I need much help from any body here who surely have more experience than me.
Many thanks and keep up your good work.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #5096 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Finally finished the gcode for the M- bus bar. I did some tests also and now have it down to a quick predictable process so that the mosfets/diodes can be soldered to the bus bars. And the backs are so thoroughly fused to the bar, that you have to destroy the entire body of the mosfet/diode, and still the copper back is one with the bus bar. The heat transfer is going to be very very good. The boards would have already been ordered, but I didn't get a paycheck on the 25th of this month. Oh that makes me mad. I'll do it. Right in the eyeball with a fork.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #5097 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Arrow

Hi Kusaw,
I was looking at this series of drivers IXD_630: 30-Amp and maybe the CM600HA-24H igbt module and they seem quite interesting to mate with the 1Kamp controller Paul has.The thing is that right now I am very short of cash just finished upgrading my place and school just started well the list never ends.
I would like to know your thoughts well regarding the subject, as this will be my next wallet smasher.
Thanks.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:26 AM   #5098 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Hey all, i almost have my board totally soldered. Somehow i seem to have not ordered the xtal, so that order is going to go in soon, maybe tomorrow morning when i'm not half asleep. Also, what is the proper current sensor and temperature sensor to use? i might as well order all of these at the same time. I am building the control board for the 1ka "revision 1A" controller.

I also had a couple questions about some of the holes on the board. on the right side of the xtal, there is a box around two holes, but it's not labeled with anything. on the left side of the xtal (just on the other side of c21) are two more of these boxes, each with two small holes inside them. I'm also unsure as to what the two sets of 3 holes each are for right under LED1 (the holes marked + and -)

my last question (for now, ha!) is where does power for the IGBT driver come from? on the driver pcb and in the schematic for it, it shows that it needs +15V. do i need to get a 12V-15V dc-dc for this? thanks in advance!

-isaac

Old 09-30-2011, 07:28 AM   #5099 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac_alaska View Post
Hey all, i almost have my board totally soldered. Somehow i seem to have not ordered the xtal, so that order is going to go in soon, maybe tomorrow morning when i'm not half asleep. Also, what is the proper current sensor and temperature sensor to use? i might as well order all of these at the same time. I am building the control board for the 1ka "revision 1A" controller.

I also had a couple questions about some of the holes on the board. on the right side of the xtal, there is a box around two holes, but it's not labeled with anything. on the left side of the xtal (just on the other side of c21) are two more of these boxes, each with two small holes inside them. I'm also unsure as to what the two sets of 3 holes each are for right under LED1 (the holes marked + and -)

my last question (for now, ha!) is where does power for the IGBT driver come from? on the driver pcb and in the schematic for it, it shows that it needs +15V. do i need to get a 12V-15V dc-dc for this? thanks in advance!

-isaac

If memory serves, the 2 holes with the box around them is the few unused pins of the micro being broken out for individual use.

As for your last question, you answered it in the previous question.

The power for the IGBT comes from the triple via's marked + and -

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com
Old 09-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #5100 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Smile

Hi, so is unit to be coupled to igbts or mosfets? and if the former what sort of specs will it have.
I am trying to locate open source schematics for a similar tested unit driving igbts which handle a higher voltage than mosfets, can any one direct me please.
Regards and thanks.

Reply  Post New Thread