Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #4091 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
Something i've wanted to do for sometime has been to add motor rpm feedback to the controller. Does the micro have sufficent resources left to do this in software? I'm playing with a little frequency detection circuit based on an lm2917.
I use the LM2917 and part of a LM339 to trigger my rpm warning (set by 10 turn pot ) for 6000 rpm. there is option for shut down or rpm limiting on my PCM replacement board along with the computer voice cockpit warning in the EV. Seems to work well - I just will not drive it in the salt infested roads ! I buffer the 6 lobe pickup, on the tail-shaft, with a 4093B quad Schmidt-trigger to it and the speedometer input via a driver transistor. It gives me accurate rpm on the speedometer and a warning of excessive rpm..... I did feed it to an Arduino and read voltage to rpm in my version 2 PCM. It did not take much in the line of code to get it working ... I think you may have seen it on another forum.

Last edited by dave koller; 12-04-2010 at 04:04 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to dave koller For This Useful Post:
deodeo (04-16-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #4092 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequin2 View Post
I've ordered one of these things too. Now thinking about just what/how to use it.
Presently using a NetBook running RTD Explorer.
I'd like to hear your ideas on what you are doing with the display and see if I can help out with the overall project.
I have just posted some code for this in the CougArd Explorer thread. It compiles o.k., but as my display is somewhere between Austria and the Scottish Borders I can't try it out yet.

I will post any further info/developments on this project in the CougArd Explorer thread.

Greg
Old 12-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #4093 (permalink)
EcoModder

OK, I'll have a look to see what you have done. I haven't received a display yet either.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #4094 (permalink)
EcoModder

I'll have a look to see what you have done. My display hasn't arrived yet either.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #4095 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouMan View Post
I bought fell out my chair lmao, only almost everybody in the united states! go watch the weather report sometime lol, not everybody is european or canadian.
Heh, heh, googled it and found that the USA (except for it's scientists) and three small countries are the only ones left that have not converted. We in Australia converted in the mid 1970's so those of us that grew up with F and now use C tend to think in terms of both, for instance we know that when the weather report says 39C it is about 100F and either way it is hot and you must consume more beer!
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggles For This Useful Post:
deodeo (04-16-2012)
Old 12-06-2010, 12:18 AM   #4096 (permalink)
EcoModder

Yeah, poor old US of A can't figure out proper units, can't understand proper football, can't build decent cars, I don't know what keeps them going! It certainly isn't their beer!
Maybe its people like Paul.......
The Following User Says Thank You to harlequin2 For This Useful Post:
deodeo (04-16-2012)
Old 12-06-2010, 04:49 AM   #4097 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Just use both, for example I asked for the measurements of something recently and was told its 6 inches high by 2 meters long!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #4098 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ElectricZX2 - '98 Ford ZX2 Cool Coupe
90 day: 140.91 mpg (US)
Ha, it is nice being proficient in both...except when you start stripping nuts out on your car because someone decided to put 10mm in some spots and 7/16 in others (funny that it was my Japanese car) . I'm with you on the football but I resent they beer comment harlequin2...if you're basing your judgment of american beer on piss-tasting pilsners like miller and bud (the garbage we ship to the rest of the World) then you should come to the midwest sometime. I live in a town of 100,000 and we have 6 or more micro-breweries that make stuff I think is better than any of the authentic Bavarians, Belgians, or German Beers I've had. Oh, and Ford must not be a US manufacturer then, since they recently passed up everyone, including Honda and Toyota, in reliability and longevity, currently lead nearly all vehicle classes in fuel economy, and are coming out with some dang good looking cars.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #4099 (permalink)
ReVolt Enthusiast

Guy’s,

Sorry but the majority of engineering done here in the USA is metric, because of the global market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequin2 View Post
Yeah, poor old US of A can't figure out proper units, can't understand proper football, can't build decent cars, I don't know what keeps them going! It certainly isn't their beer!
BTW - the only good thing about New Zealand I can think of is “Lord of the Rings” ?
Old 12-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #4100 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Hi everyone! My son just got out of the hospital late last night. I'm so relieved! He had gastroenteritis or something like that, and got really dehydrated, so he was on an IV for several days. I'm going to my last final in just a few minutes, and then it's just grading for 50 gaggilion hours, and then no school until January 3rd! Hurray! Required items on my list:
1. finish a push-pull charger and flyback charger for Tinitron (my official least favorite thing that I'm looking forward to, since I don't even know what either of those things are, other than wikipedia)
2. Get a PMSM motor running with an encoder (tinitron again).
3. Finish assembling the 3 phase 120v (or 144v, who knows) 300amp per phase controller.
4. Assemble a completed controller for a friend of mine down south (not too bad, but does ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET J2 AND J3 WIRES PRE-ASSEMBLED?!)
5. FINALLY finishing the 1000amp SR control board.
6. Assemble the power section for the 1000amp prototype. It's already drilled and everything. Just sitting there without a control board.
7. Modify the 3 phase control board to monitor voltage.
8. And do all this in my spare time before 9am each day, until my son wakes up. hahaha. That's when the old work day comes to an end. That little stinker!

Heck ya! it's 7:29! Finals are about to start!!!! bye!