Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #5771 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Donovan had suggested some special low temperature solder that I think I'll try. I still haven't spent the money for a new attempt, since we're trying to get our first house. I'm going to get just a couple mosfets, 2 diodes and then test it that way with my new fake motor. That won't be too expensive. But I'm about to start teaching for the summer, and I'll have classes from 7:30am to 9:30pm with almost no breaks for a little while haha.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #5772 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am about to start testing the control board and had a couple of questions.

Adam, I ordered the RS-232 to USB adaptor board from Digikey. It didn't come with any software or instructions. My question is do I need any drivers for this board on Windows 7 (64-bit) and do I need to change any jumpers on the board to allow it to work with RTD Explorer?

Michael, in using the two resistors to fool the controller into thinking it is getting a signal, do I connect the current sensor to the controller up and once powered on connect the voltage divider or is the controller powered up and the voltage divider connected to simulate the current. Also, do I need to connect the throttle pot?

Thanks guys!
Old 06-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #5773 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

electricstorm

When I got a usb to rs232 the driver that came with it was not windows 7.
I downloaded the driver from manufactor's site.

I think the resistor divider takes the place of the sensor.

And without pot you might get high peddle error.

Alvin
The Following User Says Thank You to apowers For This Useful Post:
electricstorm (06-30-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #5774 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Ya, you need 2.5v to trick the controller into thinking that there's a current sensor there. To do that, just use like a 2.2k (or whatever you want) and a 2.2k from 5v to ground, and pick the middle as your 2.5v point.

And as my ex-brother in law would say, you definitely need the pot.
electricstorm (06-30-2012), twotires (07-03-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #5775 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks Paul!

I don't have a scope, but my electronics instructor said to bring it in and we would use it as a class lab to use the scope to check the signals. I'll still have to set the values to allow me to see the waveforms (kpi and something else I think!) before taking it to class. Should be interesting anyway for the class. My instructor thinks it's great and to tell you you and the rest of the contributors have done a fine job with this open source project.

Jim
Old 07-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #5776 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricstorm View Post
I am about to start testing the control board and had a couple of questions.

Adam, I ordered the RS-232 to USB adaptor board from Digikey. It didn't come with any software or instructions. My question is do I need any drivers for this board on Windows 7 (64-bit) and do I need to change any jumpers on the board to allow it to work with RTD Explorer?

Michael, in using the two resistors to fool the controller into thinking it is getting a signal, do I connect the current sensor to the controller up and once powered on connect the voltage divider or is the controller powered up and the voltage divider connected to simulate the current. Also, do I need to connect the throttle pot?

Thanks guys!
You should just be able to plug it in. If not, you can get the driver here:

Virtual COM Port Drivers

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com
Old 07-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #5777 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks Adam!

I bought the one you gave me the link for a while back (bought two of them). It's just like the one in your videos.

Thanks again!!

Jim
Old 07-02-2012, 05:36 AM   #5778 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Oh,No, Something is wrong. For three months almost every morning I read for half an hour or so. Now, suddenly, there are no more pages, no more "Last>>". YIKES! I have come to the end of the thread! Oh man! Now what will I do each morning? I know.... start soldering!
Old 07-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #5779 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Reverse?

I haven't seen this thread in a looong time. Admittedly, I didn't go through all the pages. Has anybody thought about a reverse circuit for those of us using designs without transmissions? If this has already been discussed, it's ok to cuss at me.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #5780 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by princeton View Post
Has anybody thought about a reverse circuit?...
That's real easy and isn't part of the motor controller. If you look at nearly any wire diagram from Curtis, Alltrax, or any of the other commercial motor controller manufacturers, they all show how you can have a "reversing contactor" as part of the circuit.

A reversing contactor normally completes the circuit, but has a second set of power connections, that when actived, breaks the circuit, and then reconnects it with the polarity reversed.

On a permanent magnet motor, you simply reverse the positive and negative, to make the motor spin the other way.

On a series-wound motor, it's just slightly more complicated - you need four power connectors going to the motor (two for the field, and two for the armature) and the reversing contactor just reverses one or the other to make the motor spin in reverse. (If you reversed BOTH the field and armature, the motor would still spin the same direction.)

If you look at a typical electric forklift, that's exactly how they work. The motor is connected to the wheels through a differential, and reverse is done electrically through a reversing contactor. Drive motors will always have four power connector on them. Series-wound pump motors sometimes only have two, as those motors are usually designed just to run one direction.

Also, be careful of brush timing is you want to reverse your motor. If you advance your brushes for higher voltage, they will be retarded for reverse!

Some commercial motor controllers also have a pin in for when you are in reverse. When the controller knows you are in reverse, the controller limits speed to half.

On my Electric Geo Metro (With an Open Revolt controller) I just use the mechanical reverse gear, and I have every bit as much speed/power in reverse as I do in forward - actually even more, as reverse gears tend to be even lower than 1st, and I NEVER use first gear in my car because of how much torque the motor has.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (07-07-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread