Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2020, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 608
Thanks: 4
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
PCM Tuner

OK here is what I want to do:

GM in the 85 to 95 Chevy's had a hidden program called: Lean Burn Cruse/ Highway Mode where the PCM would smoothly lean the Air fuel mix to around 16/17 to 1 and give about an extra 10MPG.

I want to be able to do that with modern cars and trucks.

In my case a 1993 383 Chevy Van, a 2002 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6, a 03 Crown Vic 4.6 V8.

And perhaps add more ERG at the same time both making more MPG by displacing some of the incoming, cooling the incoming burn, and cutting pumping losses.

Any help here??

Rich

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 09-30-2020, 10:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Amherst, Ohio
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm currently running a MPG tune on my 2017 Ford Fusion Sport.
Tuner is a BDX Rev X from Unleashed Tuning.
Unfortunately I'm starting with a twin turbo 2.7 V6 so not a ton of improvement to be had. From what I can tell most of the gains are from the transmission shifting, stock under light acceleration my car would rev up to around 2700-3000 rpm before it shifted, (even when accelerating down hill), now closer to 2000, but it raises with pedal input.

Improvements are around 2-3 MPG's, more in the city and slightly less on the highway. I'm averaging 26ish, most Fusion Sport guys are low 20's

I just reloaded the MPG tune last week, during the summer I run a 93 octane performance tune for fun.

If you research I'm sure there's a tuner for your vehicles, you'll have to see what's available for your older ones.
Probably not much for your van, the newer the vehicle most likely the easier it is to tune.

Crown Vic Tuner
https://5startuning.com/product-cate...r-programmers/
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 608
Thanks: 4
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
The problem I run into is there are tons of power tuners, easy fix: add fuel and timing...higher shift points, everyone can do it.

BUT I cannot not find any tuners that will program what GM did back in the 80s and 90s, program the computer to lean out at a cruse setting of light load and light throttle, and to fade back to normal A/F ratios at any incress in load and throttle.

They seemly are afraid of the old wife's tail of burning up an engine by running lean.

I have tested all of that and under light load and throttle there is no danger, that IS a risk at full throttle and higher RPMS as in a race but if programed to switch back to normal A/F tables no risk.

Rich
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Amherst, Ohio
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think you'll have to head over to Moates and do some research.
For my 86 Dodge Omni race car I have a Moates Burn 2 that I burn my
own "chips" to mount on the logic module
I had to replace the original chip with a socket, then I burn calibrations to the chips and mount them in the socket.
It appears you could use the Roadrunner burner for 96 and up GM vehicles

GM 1996-present : Moates.Net


After a little searching I found an interesting lean burn thread on BITOG
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...e-them.208298/
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 608
Thanks: 4
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keito View Post
I think you'll have to head over to Moates and do some research.
For my 86 Dodge Omni race car I have a Moates Burn 2 that I burn my
own "chips" to mount on the logic module
I had to replace the original chip with a socket, then I burn calibrations to the chips and mount them in the socket.
It appears you could use the Roadrunner burner for 96 and up GM vehicles

GM 1996-present : Moates.Net


After a little searching I found an interesting lean burn thread on BITOG
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...e-them.208298/
Getting into and reprogramming OBDII is Much harder that the older systems.

WOW that www.bobistheoilguy.com thread was a real find...I joined and am posting there already, THANKS.

Rich
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Amherst, Ohio
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post
Getting into and reprogramming OBDII is Much harder that the older systems.

WOW that www.bobistheoilguy.com thread was a real find...I joined and am posting there already, THANKS.

Rich
OBD II is really easy if you simply buy a handheld programmer and hire a guy to tune your vehicle.
Like mentioned earlier I bought a BDX programmer from Unleashed Tuning, with the purchase of the programmer he included two tunes for free.
I told the guy what I wanted and he wrote me two tunes. Heck the programmer is even wifi capable, he uploads the tune to a cloud and I tell the programmer to download it and program the car.
Never even connect the programmer to a computer. I can use the programmer to datalog the vehicle, upload the datalog to the cloud and the tuner can look at it and make changes to the tune, I prefer to download it to my PC so I can look at it first to check spark knock.
He charges $100 for additional tunes and will make changes for free until we are both happy with the performance.

Currently I run a 93 octane performance tune, it was good for 12.94@106 in the 1/4 mile.
My second tune is an MPG tune for daily/winter driving .
I run 87 octane and like I mentioned earlier it' good for around 26 mpg's combined driving
Most Fusion Sport owners get around 20 mpg's

I think you can find a tuner that uses HPTuners that could help you with GM vehicles, just going to have to research.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 608
Thanks: 4
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keito View Post
OBD II is really easy if you simply buy a handheld programmer and hire a guy to tune your vehicle.

Like mentioned earlier I bought a BDX programmer from Unleashed Tuning, with the purchase of the programmer he included two tunes for free.
I told the guy what I wanted and he wrote me two tunes. Heck the programmer is even wifi capable, he uploads the tune to a cloud and I tell the programmer to download it and program the car.
Never even connect the programmer to a computer. I can use the programmer to datalog the vehicle, upload the datalog to the cloud and the tuner can look at it and make changes to the tune, I prefer to download it to my PC so I can look at it first to check spark knock.
He charges $100 for additional tunes and will make changes for free until we are both happy with the performance.

Currently I run a 93 octane performance tune, it was good for 12.94@106 in the 1/4 mile.
My second tune is an MPG tune for daily/winter driving .
I run 87 octane and like I mentioned earlier it' good for around 26 mpg's combined driving
Most Fusion Sport owners get around 20 mpg's

I think you can find a tuner that uses HPTuners that could help you with GM vehicles, just going to have to research.
One of the problems I run into is both the costs, $300/400 dollars and $50/100 more per tune, and then all tuners I have talked with will only give a light MPG tune...the costs are not worth the returns.

The Lean burn/highway mode which is mild as is all factory tuning, gave 5 to 10MPG and if a little more effort I believe one might get 15MPG...

But again it takes some effort to match the best tune to your car.

OBDI you could do it with a laptop and a program your self.

Rich

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com