Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

POS - '97 Ford Aspire
90 day: 47 mpg (US)
Define "subsidize," because if you are talking about tax breaks, who do you think ultimalty benifits from thoes? You and me. Both in lower prices at the pump (ALL taxes on ALL busnesses are passed to the consumer) and in higher stock values (any one own an IRA/401K/mutual fund that does NOT invest in energy?). Higher taxes lead to less money in low and middle-income families, both from paying at the pump and at retail stores. the top 10% of income earners pay 70% of the tax, so these "subsidies" are paid for by the rich (not that i'm for the current unfair tax system). In CT taxes are over $0.44/gal!! Oil companies on average make 8% on the sale of gas. Most retail stores have a markup of up to 40%!! Do we need to raise taxes on these small businesses because they have a high profit margine? The oil companies have huge profits because they produce a product that you and I desire, and we buy lots of it! Its called capitalism and it is what makes America GREAT! You are complaining about a "war over oil"?? what war? what county's producton have we taken over? what additional oil supplies do we have from OIF? NONE! You better educate yourself before posting

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket View Post
Define "subsidize," because if you are talking about tax breaks, who do you think ultimalty benifits from thoes? You and me. Both in lower prices at the pump (ALL taxes on ALL busnesses are passed to the consumer) and in higher stock values (any one own an IRA/401K/mutual fund that does NOT invest in energy?).
Subsidies benefit the executives and investors. The only place subsidies make sense is where an emerging technology needs investment to build more infrastructure. The oil companies are not using that subsidy to build infrastructure (why would they? More infrastructure would just lower prices, and thus, profit), and they're certainly not passing it on to consumers.

Quote:
Higher taxes lead to less money in low and middle-income families, both from paying at the pump and at retail stores.
Too bad we didn't think about low and middle-income families before we started spending $300 billion a year in Iraq.

Quote:
the top 10% of income earners pay 70% of the tax, so these "subsidies" are paid for by the rich (not that i'm for the current unfair tax system).
The top 10% of income earners also rake in 48.5% of all "reported" income. Average yearly income increased for the top 10%, and decreased for the bottom 90%. And specific to gas taxes, the top 10% pay the same measly 4.6% federal gas tax as everyone else, but only pay more because they use much more, so I'm not crying for them.

Quote:
In CT taxes are over $0.44/gal!! Oil companies on average make 8% on the sale of gas. Most retail stores have a markup of up to 40%!!
Oil companies make 8% on the artificially inflated prices THEY created by shutting down refineries (especially in the 90's) to, according to internal memos from Texaco and others, increase profits.

I don't know what retail operations you're referring to that have a 40% profit margin, but Walmart's margin is 3.38%, and they haven't colluded with all other retailers to keep newcomers from opening new stores and artificially keep prices high.

Quote:
The oil companies have huge profits because they produce a product that you and I desire, and we buy lots of it! Its called capitalism and it is what makes America GREAT!
Really? I thought it was called an oligopoly, cronyism and anti-competitive behavior.

Quote:
You are complaining about a "war over oil"?? what war? what county's producton have we taken over? what additional oil supplies do we have from OIF? NONE! You better educate yourself before posting
You better educate yourself. One of the talking points when Bush was trying to sell us this war was that the "New Iraq(tm)" would be able to pay for the war and reconstruction using profits from its oil sales. Obviously that's not going to happen now.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Whoa. Did this thread take an ugly bounce.
modmonster; I usually go ahead and bump start at the last second when coasting up to a stoplight. I've heard that key starting shoots a squirt of gas. I don't know if it makes much difference.
Bump starting saves the wear and tear on the ignition switch.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Charlie View Post
Whoa. Did this thread take an ugly bounce.
Sorry about that. I'll try to keep my off-topic posts to the Lounge. :-)

Old 09-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
It is a laughing matter

The ROFL Box - '05 Scion xB
90 day: 46.85 mpg (US)
whats great is with the larger exhaust that I have on the xB, when I use the clutch to start the car (if im coming to a light that just changed) I always tend to scare those around me...
Old 09-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFL Box View Post
whats great is with the larger exhaust that I have on the xB, when I use the clutch to start the car (if im coming to a light that just changed) I always tend to scare those around me...

Um you're in Iowa now, it's not your exhaust ... LOL

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 09-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ranger - '08 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 20.73 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to adrive7
Bumper Sticker Idea: "I didn't stall, I shut it down about 1/2 mile back! - ecomodder.com"
Old 09-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Weight Reduction

4x4 - '06 Nissan Altima 2.5 Special Edition
90 day: 29.04 mpg (US)

Mom's Van - '99 Plymouth Voyager SE
90 day: 25.62 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to ankit
A couple of times I've gotten a really wierd look. This is because the car is shiny and doesn't look like one that would stall out. But most of the time people don't know (usually only EOC in my neighborhood), especially since my music & tire noise is usually louder then my engine would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrive7 View Post
Bumper Sticker Idea: "I didn't stall, I shut it down about 1/2 mile back! - ecomodder.com"
Nice idea.

Quote:
Live Simply So Others Can Simply Live
-Ed Begley Jr.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

LOL @ this turning into a debate on gas prices.

Sounds like I am inline with most posters here--and I consider it an honor to have my personal feelings shared by members on this board.

Not too worried about what others think when we know we're doing something right.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoMod Wannabe

Taurusaurus Rex - '97 Ford Taurus GL (Sedan)
90 day: 19.39 mpg (US)

Blue Wagon - '00 Ford Taurus Wagon SE Comfort
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
i saw a good bumper sticker today:

I drive like this
to piss you off!