Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2016, 08:26 PM   #191 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Got part numbers on tht there thermostat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by planejob View Post
Ok, folks. Major news.

First of all, NOTHING happened for almost 3 weeks. I traveled for work.

Then today I went to Napa Auto Parts in Wylie Texas and Jeremy, an awesome guy there at the store, helped me find an o-ring with a 65mm OD. It took some time, but he sourced it from some parts pack and sold it to me for an all too reasonable price.

I came home and installed it on the oil filter block off plate - that plate we spent like 3 pages talking about because I couldn't figure out how to plumb it. It didn't leak. (Now, there's a long story here about this damn plate leaking and me shaving .125 off of it using a ... belt sander... so that the o-ring could engage in the new position, and the destruction of the o-ring, but I'll spare you.)

That leads me to the coolant system. The Kubota water pump has a plug on it that threaded and has a plug in it. I drained about half a gallon of coolant out of the bottom of the radiator and then pulled the plug out of the water pump. I took it up to the same Napa (hey, they are good, why stop now) and they helped me source the fan switch I desired. It happens to be a GM part, but it screws directly in to the water pump and turns the fan on at 205*F and off at 195*F. I got it home, it fit perfectly. It still needs to be wired up, but the plumbing is done.

I fired up the engine, I'm still using the three foot long jumper wire to go from the starter to the positive terminal of the battery. I let it run for a few minutes to confirm that there were no oil leaks and no coolant leaks - none!

After another few minutes the top radiator hose and fittings went from room temp to HOT in about 5 seconds - the thermostat opened! that's a good sign.

I shut it off and did a last trip around to check all of the nuts and bolts, and then tried to account for all of my wrenches, etc.

It drives. Driving with the governor is cool - Just do what's known in racingg circles a "flat foot shifting", that is, you never lift the gas pedal, and just clutch and shift. It works brilliantly.

I'm now researching this as my next move, Rooster. In third gear, flat out, I found myself going 30 to 32 mph indicated.

So the cool thing: going up hill results in it maintaining speed by increasingg fueling which means it rolls coal. Not like a 16 year old in a truck with a confederate flag rolling coal, but it noticeably blows smoke. There is no smoke at normal speeds.

Hey, so that brings up the exhaust. Right now, it blows directly forward, right out through the radiator support. No, not through the radiator. I've got a muffler that came with it, but it doesn't fit in the package. I guess I'll have to take this over to the muffler shop and see how bad it's going to hurt to have a pipe put out the rear. Or maybe I'll just cut a hole in the radiator support and hood and run it straight up using the original muffer?

My wife agreed to take some video, so let me get out there and see if we can make a movie for you crazy kids.
Hi Planejob. Would you share the part number of the thermostat? I could use one in my kubota MG project.
Thank you

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-31-2016, 10:12 PM   #192 (permalink)
BeginnerModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustygirl View Post
Hi Planejob. Would you share the part number of the thermostat? I could use one in my kubota MG project.
Thank you
Hey, two things. first, Can you email me a high resolution copy of your engine bolt pattern? I printed the attachment out, and I can't read the numbers because they got all pixelated.

Second
I did not replace the thermostat, just the housing. Do you want me to see if I can find the part number for the housing?

Edit: Here's where I bought it from, and they sell thermostats, too.

Last edited by planejob; 03-31-2016 at 10:17 PM..
Old 04-01-2016, 04:47 AM   #193 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yes i will email you the files today, they are on my work computer.

Don't worry about finding the stat housing number. I had to make a custom one. I upped the thermostat to 195. But i could use the fan switch part number. Currently the fan is on a manual switch.
THX
The Following User Says Thank You to rustygirl For This Useful Post:
planejob (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 03:18 PM   #194 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Tranny update - not the Jenner kind, the gearset kind.
Nicely done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beau For This Useful Post:
planejob (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 11:08 PM   #195 (permalink)
BeginnerModder

I pulled the *4 speed* transmission out tonight. It took an hour and 20 minutes, I didn't break anything. I've got a line on a 89 Metro... let's hope it's manual and 1.3. That would be wicked.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:49 PM   #196 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
I pulled the *4 speed* transmission out tonight. It took an hour and 20 minutes, I didn't break anything. I've got a line on a 89 Metro... let's hope it's manual and 1.3. That would be wicked.
An '89 Metro will be a 1.0L.
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

Old 04-02-2016, 09:15 PM   #197 (permalink)
BeginnerModder

well hell, i looked at 9 Geo Metros today, and 8 of them of them were automatic, number 9 had the transmission previously harvested. The cool thing it, it had the transmission, shifter and pedal cluster harvested, so somebody was embarking on a worthwhile project!

I decided to say "F your 30 dollar scam" and just rebuild my gear box. I bought a 3.52 final drive and 5th gear froma forum member and I'm excited to get to fiddling the spanners.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:04 PM   #198 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

If you start a GoFundMe account, I will cheerfully chip in.......
Old 04-03-2016, 08:54 AM   #199 (permalink)
BeginnerModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimer6 View Post
If you start a GoFundMe account, I will cheerfully chip in.......
For the recovery of the 30 dollars?

I couldn't, in good conscience, ask people to fund my hobbies... That would just Bern me up.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:56 PM   #200 (permalink)
BeginnerModder

Well, It's been slow going the last few weeks. I have acquired new 5th gear set, and a 3.52 final drive ratio. This will provide me with a 16% higher final drive than what's in there now. I should be able to cruise at 60.

I borrowed a 12 ton floor press, and bought a full set of replacement bearings, seals and synchronizers. I GOT THIS.

Reply  Post New Thread