Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2015, 12:43 AM   #61 (permalink)
BeginnerModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimer6 View Post
Let the fun begin!
Oh yeah!
Quote:
If the adapter plate is .500'' thick the throwout bearing and the clutch disk will sit in the same place as the stock setup. However.....
Exactly! I measured the "magic number" back at the start and came up with some .470 aluminum plate.

As for the pilot shaft. I considered this: Drill out the crank using the current pilot bearing as a guide. Get it nice and centered using the pilot bearing, and then, pull the old bearing out, enlarge the hole slightly, replace the pilot bearing with a new one, and then get the tranny colinear using the new bearing as a guide (along with the dial indicators). Nothing is settled yet.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-15-2015, 02:32 AM   #62 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Sounds good

That should work! I probably should fire up my Diesel Metro. Its been sitting a long time.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #63 (permalink)
BeginnerModder

Here's the difference between the bolts. The 5 are the flywheel bolts, and the 1 odd one is a flexplate bolt for comparison.

A freshly washed transmission:

It started like this:

The plan for tonight is to drill a new hole for the dipstick, remove the oil pan, and set the engine on the mating cradle.

Kimer, how did you move your oil filter? Mine looks like it should just swap to the other side where the block off plate is, but... the block off plate does not key into the oil filter mount...
Old 12-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #64 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Wow, I made mine in October 2008. I THINK I made my own block off plate for the oil filter on the injector pump (RIGHT) side of the engine. The thing that gave me concern was that by using brazing rods, I poked inside the oil passages to the new location and determined that the present passages would BYPASS the oil flow through the oil filter.
I made a disc that covered most of the passage in the engine block in the NEW filter location and it had a channel cut into it that directed flow into the outside holes of the spin on filter. This disc was held in by the hollow bolt that the filter cartridge spins onto. The oil flow comes out of the block through the slot in the disc, enters the outside holes of the spin on filter, then clean oil exits through the hollow filter mounting bolt back into the engine.

You have 3 oil holes under the plate covering the new filter location. The 2 outside holes will connect to each other if you just spin on the filter as is. My blocking disc covered one hole and forced the dirty oil to go through the filter and out through the hollow spin on bolt, the third oil hole.

I will dig up my old laptop that I was using in 2008 and see if I have the photos of that plate. The Japanese did us a favor by keeping the same threads in the crank between the Geo and Kubota engines. The starter teeth are also the same as I recall. But I want to smack a plate of wasabi sushi into the engineer's face at Kubota who didn't make the 2 oil filter locations completely stupid proof and 100% interchangeable.

Also, I kept my wiring all stock and uncut to adapt it to the diesel alternator, starter, temp sender, etc., so I could drop in the gas engine as needed. I hate cutting wiring harnesses. I know you aren't there yet...but you can think about it in your off hours.

If my old laptop won't run and I can't access old photos, I will see if I can dig out the car and take some pictures. The 2 transmission mounts are the same but I rigged up a new left front motor mount. Also, I made a home built low thermostat housing to clear the hood. You'll get there....
Old 12-17-2015, 08:01 PM   #65 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Oil filter plate

Here are a few old pictures from the Diesel Geo Metro project. The oil filter plate was something that I determined was necessary at the time. I cannot recall the details but remember that oil would pressurize the filter but bypass it without that flow plate. I think I made the hollow bolt, too. Good old Harbor Freight Tools lathe! Precision exceeded only by a jackhammer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gutless.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	19312

Name:	6 valve.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	19313

Name:	diesel 2.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	19314

Name:	PICT0780.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	19315
Old 12-17-2015, 09:03 PM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2012 Golf TDI - '12 Volkswagen Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 45.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Here are a few old pictures from the Diesel Geo Metro project. The oil filter plate was something that I determined was necessary at the time. I cannot recall the details but remember that oil would pressurize the filter but bypass it without that flow plate. I think I made the hollow bolt, too. Good old Harbor Freight Tools lathe! Precision exceeded only by a jackhammer.

Attachment 19312

Attachment 19313

Attachment 19314

Attachment 19315

sorry...had to...

BP-turbo 93 Festiva (long gone)
1/4 mile - 12.50@111.5
Best MPG - 36.8
Old 12-18-2015, 03:40 PM   #67 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Subscribed. Late to the party!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 01-15-2016, 10:47 PM   #68 (permalink)
BeginnerModder

Well, you might have thought I died. nope. Just got stupidly busy with family B.S., the Holidays, and vacation.

I've returned to my work, and if it does one thing it sucks the life out of me. To rejuvenate my mind I work in the garage.

Here's a progress report on the Diesel Geo:

I think everybody saw this. It was the plate adapted to the engine.

The workshop:

The Plate, with the holes drilled for the engine AND the transmission:

The plate, trimmed:

So last night I mated the two parts. The engine's crankshaft and the Transmission's input shaft are collinear - it took a long time to get them just where I wanted and get the holes reamed to the correct size. I'm not sure that it's perfect, but I feel very confident that it'll work (for a while, maybe a short while maybe a long while).

Last edited by planejob; 01-16-2016 at 10:19 AM..
Old 01-16-2016, 12:08 AM   #69 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Garage

You know, of course, that a clean garage is the sign of a sick mind....
My garage is a bit more cluttered.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:21 AM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

For some reason I can't see the photos.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joggernot For This Useful Post:
planejob (01-16-2016)
Reply  Post New Thread