Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSatz View Post
So the wheel skirts have had a noticeable affect on FE and drag? Have you felt longer glides?

I have a Civic too, but it's an 8thgen sedan. Thinking about getting aeromods. In the spring (or, the next time I drive to/from school and it isn't freezing), I'm going to do a big 260 mile test with masking tape mods to make my hubcaps smooth, block the top grille, maybe skirts or miniskirts, and covering up some seams that look obtrusive. Or is that dumb, to use masking tape (which is, after all, designed to come off...)...I just want something very temporary and cheap.

Also, could you explain how you mounted the rear skirts?
Wheel skirts have little noticeable affect on FE and and drag, but every small thing counts. With all my aero mods I hear less wind noise that way I know they affecting air drag.
On the first place I would put grill block with bellypan and front wheels deflector, then second wheel skirts with eliminated parachute effect, last smooth hubcaps.
If you want something temporary and cheap masking tape is perfect. You can also try weight reduction if you need better acceleration.
I've cut 1" wide, 1/16" thick and 2" long metal strips and bent them 90* on vise. Next drilled mounts directly to inner edge of wheel well with self-tapping screws. Painted and sealed with waterproof glue. Finally screwed in skirt again with self-tapping screws.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Nice work, holypaulie. The radiator venting is impressive too.

More information about smooth wheel covers (including tape experiments in a wind tunnel) in this thread: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-6-a-4368.html
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 01-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSatz View Post
So the wheel skirts have had a noticeable affect on FE and drag? Have you felt longer glides?

I have a Civic too, but it's an 8thgen sedan. Thinking about getting aeromods. In the spring (or, the next time I drive to/from school and it isn't freezing), I'm going to do a big 260 mile test with masking tape mods to make my hubcaps smooth, block the top grille, maybe skirts or miniskirts, and covering up some seams that look obtrusive. Or is that dumb, to use masking tape (which is, after all, designed to come off...)...I just want something very temporary and cheap.

Also, could you explain how you mounted the rear skirts?
Wheel skirts have little noticeable affect on FE and and drag, but every small thing counts. With all my aero mods I hear less wind noise that way I know they affecting air drag.
On the first place I would put grill block with bellypan and front wheels deflector, then second wheel skirts with eliminated parachute effect, last smooth hubcaps.
If you want something temporary and cheap masking tape is perfect. You can also try weight reduction if you need better acceleration.
I've cut 1" wide, 1/16" thick and 2" long metal strips and bent them 90* on vise. Next drilled mounts directly to inner edge of wheel well with self-tapping screws. Painted and sealed with waterproof glue. Finally screwed in skirt again with self-tapping screws.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cause I'm an 80's Baby!!

Festiva hauler - '02 Chevorlet S-10
90 day: 27.98 mpg (US)
nice upgrade!