Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2016, 08:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

None - '00 Chevy Malibu LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoD~ View Post
There's 2 "dangers" to it.

1. Steering is harder on most cards without power steering. Most cars will be very hard without the assist, especially under ~1MPH. This could be dangerous if you can't turn your wheel when you need to (out of a tight parking space).

2. You don't seal up your install properly and something gets in there and causes the steering to seize up. This isn't likely to happen while driving instantly and unexpectedly, but not impossible. As soon as you squirt out the fluid by going full left and right a few times, loop that line and clamp them tight! Don't neglect the pinion off the steering column. Either loop those or cap them. They won't be pumping anything (like air or fluids) between two chambers like the rack will be, so looping isn't necessary. I think when I did mine on my Neon, I capped them with the original metal lines by using pliers to pinch them shut, then folded the end over... I want to say I even put some silicone in there before doing that to make sure it was extra tight. Even a tiny, invisible hole can get moisture in there, which can do some damage and possible cause seizure.

So yeah, it's dangerous. But really, any time you mod your car, it's potentially hazardous. Just always make sure to do your homework and think things out before you execute.

Make sure you know all the information before you go doing anything you aren't familiar or comfortable with. Google "power steering line loop" and do some reading. I'd never recommend doing anything like this without that minimal type of research first!

I'm only confident because I've done it a few times and it's never given me any issues. I just pulled the non-working electric power steering off my Insight and it was definitely a nice difference, but it's a very different system from the traditional hydraulic systems.

Good luck either way!

thanks!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-10-2016, 08:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I cant seem to find a shorter serpentine belt for a 2000 chevy malibu ls. My car uses a single belt for everything if im not mistaken

I plan on deleting the ac system as well, and there seems to be a bypass pulley for this vehicle for that.

Can I do this w/o a bypass pulley?

cant seem to find a shorter belt anywhere, would love to do away with the pulleys altogether but will make it work with a bypass if i can

also, in this video, the which may apply to my car as well, do i simply remove the two hard lines coming from the rack as show in the video and loop them with some silicon hose? Also attached is a routing diagram for my belt. Assuming the power steering and ac pumps will be deleted, i would need a shorter belt to accommodate * preferably*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	26
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	20058  

Last edited by Sunaj; 05-10-2016 at 10:53 AM..
Old 05-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

bumping to see if any one has any ideas?
Old 05-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
Can you verify that your pulley system is like this one?

The Following User Says Thank You to NoD~ For This Useful Post:
Sunaj (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 11:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Can you verify that your pulley system is like this one?

yep, thats it.

Im in need of a belt that would accommodate that setup minus the ac compressor and ps pump
Old 05-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Here's the problem...

Take those out and no belt will work. No belt, plus no water pump.

You'd probably be best to leave the AC one on as it doesn't add a lot of resistance when off. As somebody who has taken out AC of a car... if it works, keep it. Unless you are in a constantly cold climate, that is.

Even if you just removed the PS pump...

Looks like you still won't be hitting that water pump. So to do it, you'd have to either get a pulley to replace the pump, or relocate the water pump (likely go electric... which isn't cheap).

I'd say you might be best, in this car, to leave the power steering in place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	no PS AC.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	20060   Click image for larger version

Name:	no PS.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	20061  
Old 05-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I think I may just go with an AC delete pulley. Do you think there would be a way to detach the pulley from the power steering pump and connect it to the bracket putting the belt on that?
Old 05-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaj View Post
I think I may just go with an AC delete pulley. Do you think there would be a way to detach the pulley from the power steering pump and connect it to the bracket putting the belt on that?
You mean PS delete pulley? Just making sure...

I'm sure there's a way, but that's beyond the help I can give ya. Definitely dig around, the internet is deep.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
You mean PS delete pulley? Just making sure...

I'm sure there's a way, but that's beyond the help I can give ya. Definitely dig around, the internet is deep.

The AC delete pulley- luckily I can purchase one for my vehicle. I'm going to remove the entire AC system from my vehicle since it is not functioning and don't have the funds to afford a fix.

I may be out of luck unless I can find a way to adapt just the pulley from the power steering pump to the accessory bracket. I would really love to do away with this. Among the reasons concerning space and a little less weight. I can't even get to the fuel pressure port to test fuel pressure with the power steering stuff in the way. Not really feeling the design of this particular engine/car

EDIT: after looking under my hood, noticed there were two idler pulleys missing from your diagram.. please see attached diagram for my exact setup
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3400-V6-Belt.gif
Views:	25
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	20063  

Last edited by Sunaj; 05-11-2016 at 02:42 PM..
Old 05-11-2016, 03:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
If you can, install a pulley on a spindle as an idler where the PS pulley was. It's a parasitic drag but nothing like the PS.

Alternatively, move the alternator to where the PS was. Find a belt short enough to give the tensioner a little resistance to keep everything else turning.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Reply  Post New Thread