Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #31 (permalink)
Ecomodding Amateur

Cold Fusion - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 67.34 mpg (US)

Finally got to wash my car now that the water restrictions have been relaxed.

Yesterday, on the way home from work (37 miles on I-95), with a 12 MPH tailwind, 72.1 MPG at 59 MPH, 86F. A new record for me.

For the entire 67 mile trip, 73.5 MPG, also a new record.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #32 (permalink)
Lurkaliscious

Location: Anacortes, Washington, USA, Planet Earth, Sol System
Nicely done.

For the mirror delete, did you use bondo to fill in the hole left over from the original mounting? Can you recommend a good place to look for interior mirrors?

I'm looking to do a mirror delete on my Golf, and I'm having a hard time finding appropriate mirrors to go on the inside, and panels for the mounting plates.

The lower grille cover looks awesome.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #33 (permalink)
Ecomodding Amateur

Cold Fusion - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 67.34 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dradus View Post
Nicely done.

For the mirror delete, did you use bondo to fill in the hole left over from the original mounting? Can you recommend a good place to look for interior mirrors?

I'm looking to do a mirror delete on my Golf, and I'm having a hard time finding appropriate mirrors to go on the inside, and panels for the mounting plates.

Yes,
I used bondo. My inside mirror came from Walmart.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

White 07 Civic - '07 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 38.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
I met with Frank with Hybrideffects.com last Saturday. We used my car to make a mold of a lower grille block. Frank will be making me a fiberglass panel that will fit over the lower opening and hopefully I will have it installed soon. I will post pictures when I get them.
Any additional details on how he did this? I'm looking for some direction on how to do something similar to my civic.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

K

I have around 25 years of custom corvette painting experiece and mold making it helps. You will need to make your front bumper flush and then make a mold of the front bumper. I used fiberglass to make mold and bondo to make the bumper a plug.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Frontier - '04 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 24.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb View Post
Note: see also Autospeed article: adding a chin undertray to a 1st gen Prius

This is the 1st gen Prius tray.

I did this about a month ago....

Compare to the Prius undertray in this article: Autospeed article: adding a chin undertray to a 1st gen Prius

At least we are on the same page.

Yesterday I kicked it up a notch.....

Prius Rear Undertray Rear View. The drivers side does come with a tray (diffuser) but the passenger side is open due to the complication of the muffler and exhaust. I used a screw thru the coroplast about 1" long that rests on the muffler to keep a gap between the coroplast and the muffler. From the rear, the white coroplast was quite visible. The green paint was all I had. I also ran out of coroplast. Once I get more I will do something less piecemeal and paint it black. I have yet to go for a drive. Hopefully nothing falls off.
Which thickness of coroplast do you use. The choices available to me are 1/8", 1/4", and 3/8". With 4x8 sheet prices of $18, $45, and $60 respectively. Should I use the same thickness for both the underside and the wheel skirts. I have found no references to coroplast thickness in any of the articles.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb View Post
Update:
I met with Frank with Hybrideffects.com last Saturday. We used my car to make a mold of a lower grille block. Frank will be making me a fiberglass panel that will fit over the lower opening and hopefully I will have it installed soon. I will post pictures when I get them.

The grille block will have no openings to begin with. If I need more than the upper grille for cooling, then I will use a hole saw to cut a few openings. I will use a rubber plug to close them when I don't need the extra airflow.

I was able to get a 4x8 sheet of black coroplast. It is getting quite pricey now. The first time I bought coroplast, I paid $15. Now it is up to $30. I guess we can blame the ecomodding craze for that.

This weekend I hope to do a complete underbody pan. I also plan on working on a RH mirror delete cover panel and a windshield wiper shield.

A few weeks ago I installed new tires, ContiPremierContact in the OEM 185/65/15 size. These were highly rated by CR for low rolling resistance but they have fallen far short of my expectations. At first, my FE dropped by 10%. After 2000 miles, I still see a 5% reduction. When I put the Integrity's back on, the FE goes back up to the previous levels. When I finally do some tests to determine the effectiveness of all of these mods, I am hoping that the Conti's break in fully and get me back to where the Integrity's were. What would be really great is if I can find someone local with a Prius who could do a few highway runs so that we could do some comparisons. PM me you are willing to participate.
Which thickness of coroplast do you use. The choices available to me are 1/8", 1/4", and 3/8". With 4x8 sheet prices of $18, $45, and $60 respectively. Should I use the same thickness for both the underside and the wheel skirts. I have found no references to coroplast thickness in any of the articles.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi,

I'm curious where you got your flush wheel covers, and how they are working for you?

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 10-25-2008, 10:24 PM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am confused. My post asked how thick the coroplast was that was used to make grill shields and belly covers. I still need an answer to that question. Coroplast is available here in 1/8", 1/4", and 3/8".
Old 10-25-2008, 11:35 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi,

Most Coroplast used around here is the 4mm, which is 0.157" so, roughly 1/8".

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Reply  Post New Thread