Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2022, 05:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddylackn View Post
His gas mileage dropped to under 20 mpg when he was over 100 mph.

He could use a few aero mods. Wouldn't take much to see benefits in mpg at 100 mph.
Or just not use an old Prius and use a newer Prius or Ioniq or any other modern hybrid. I get 33mpg when driving at 115 mph. Only did it for a few min in the Arizona desert. Kinda scary cruising at 115 thru hilly one lane roads honestly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
freebeard (10-22-2022)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-22-2022, 07:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Were they pulse-and-glide hills?

Old 10-22-2022, 08:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ecomodding Apprentice

Long Island\New mexico. Temperature, humidity, fuel type, laden weight, car condition, age, tyre pressures, mean soc. Vehicle comparisons are not possible without enviroment variable data submitted
The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan jones For This Useful Post:
Yippeekyaa (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 04:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Goldie - '11 Toyota Prius
90 day: 48.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonker View Post
Congrats! That is a huge bucket list experience for me. I'm very jealous.

I was hoping they do another of the sub 100hp runs like they did last year. I believe they called it the Musketball Rally.

Would love taking my Metro to that event.
The musketball was my first run and was so much fun. Sadly John Ficarra that organized the event said it would be the last time he runs one. Maybe someone will step up in the future. The metro would be perfect for it. John did a vinwiki about it a few months ago. He briefly mentions my car on the dyno.

https://youtu.be/TJwZra8lXOo
Old 10-23-2022, 04:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddylackn View Post
His gas mileage dropped to under 20 mpg when he was over 100 mph.

He could use a few aero mods. Wouldn't take much to see benefits in mpg at 100 mph.
You may have misunderstood some facts from the video. Can see how the confusion exists. Let me help clear that up a bit. On my first run during the musketball i ran basically wide open for extended amounts of time. The gen4 Prius tops out at 115. Can briefly get it to 116 even 117 under certain conditions but it quickly settles down to the electronically limited 115. During a 6 hour section of that run i managed to drive 648 miles. It was during that segment i learned that a prius at speeds of 110-115 gets horrible mpg. Best i can estimate is 21 mpg. Drop those speeds down by 10 to 100-105 and it gets low 30’s. With 102 hp available and at 115 mph, the engine is basically maxed out hence the low economy. For the recent record run i did consider aero mods. Did some test runs with the passenger mirror removed and it did slightly improve the economy at 100. But i just didnt feel comfortable without it it those speeds so it was left for safety. The only other mods i seriously considered was rear fender skirts. It could have possibly improved the economy but at what cost? Decided the time to build it and add it, plus the loss of stealth just wasn’t worth the effort. Stealth is an important part of doing a run like this. It was a cost versus benefit decision to leave the car as stock and plain looking as possible. Aero mods work for hypermiling and work well. But the effort involved for my purposes would have been of little benefit. For example, say i spent many hours doing multiple aero mods and lets toss some hypothetical numbers out. Say it improved my economy by 10%. Which is a very high number to gain for this car but i digress. Used 90 gallons on my run. Could have lowered it to a theoretical 81 gallons using that 10% improvement math. I would have still needed the third fuel tank to ensure i made it with stopping for fuel. See my point? Now with all that being said, ill reveal that plans are being made for a run in October of next year in which aero mods will be of huge benefit. Ill make a separate post on that in the near future as the ecomodder community could be of assistance with ideas for the run.
Ecky (10-25-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 05:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
Or just not use an old Prius and use a newer Prius or Ioniq or any other modern hybrid. I get 33mpg when driving at 115 mph. Only did it for a few min in the Arizona desert. Kinda scary cruising at 115 thru hilly one lane roads honestly.
On my run i used a 2017 4th generation prius. As the gen5 is not out yet i fail to understand what you are implying. So you managed to get 33mpg at 115 for a few minutes. For a few minutes is not the same as 33 hours at those speeds. The spreadsheet my virtual team kept shows the average speed per hour on my run. The highest was 97mph. There were a total of 14 hours where the average per hour was over 90. The lowest was 57 for the last hour in California. I can assure you that multiple hours at 115 will not bring a 33mpg result in any hybrid car.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
Now with all that being said, ill reveal that plans are being made for a run in October of next year in which aero mods will be of huge benefit. Ill make a separate post on that in the near future as the ecomodder community could be of assistance with ideas for the run.
Stealth aero. An interesting concept. Standing by.

Old 10-23-2022, 09:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Yeah our hybrid only gets a little over 20mpg at 100mph.
Seems like the run would be the perfect application for aero mods.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Stealth aero. An interesting concept. Standing by.
Stealth for a cannonball run car is actually a strategy that many use. From the choice of car to doing visual modifications that dont draw unwanted attention to the car. The current overall record holder modified an audi a6 to look like a ford taurus police car.

https://www.arnesantics.com/projects...older-audi-s6/

For my upcoming run that is being planned stealth will not be needed as speed laws wont be broken. Just a quick rundown of the plan. A c2c2c or double cannonball. That is NY to LA to NY, 5608 miles. Done in my prius with the current fuel tank setup, nonstop. Nonstop is defined as no fuel stops. It will be for charity. Any aero mods will help and dont have to be hidden.
Ecky (10-25-2022), freebeard (10-24-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 11:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekyaa View Post
On my run i used a 2017 4th generation prius. As the gen5 is not out yet i fail to understand what you are implying. So you managed to get 33mpg at 115 for a few minutes. For a few minutes is not the same as 33 hours at those speeds. The spreadsheet my virtual team kept shows the average speed per hour on my run. The highest was 97mph. There were a total of 14 hours where the average per hour was over 90. The lowest was 57 for the last hour in California. I can assure you that multiple hours at 115 will not bring a 33mpg result in any hybrid car.
Maybe not 33 at longer intervals, but still would be higher than 20 or numbers you were getting since the Ioniq already has a much higher base fuel economy on the highway, then I have no side mirrors and wheel skirts and pretty good eco hubcaps

Reply  Post New Thread