Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #91 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

MULE VX - '92 Honda civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 92.6 mpg (US)

White 94 VX "Show Car" - '94 Honda Civic VX VX
90 day: 79.92 mpg (US)

The Walrus - '02 Honda Insight base
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 100.88 mpg (US)
What I meant by smaller is better was a smaller kammback will have more style, but the larger one should give you more aero benefit. It looks like on our two VXs that the larger and more extreme aero mods are worth about 10 more MPG, but the white one hopefully is a lot more stylist

The Following User Says Thank You to The donkey CRX For This Useful Post:
bluesteel93 (07-15-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-19-2015, 12:15 PM   #92 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Turtle - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 48.37 mpg (US)

SVO - '86 Ford Mustang SVO
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Installed the coilovers and modified my kammback a couple days ago at my brothers. I didn't take any pics of the actual process as I only had a day and a half to get things done before I had to drive back home, but I have a few "after" pics, and can take more if anybody wants me to.

The coilover install was pretty simple and straight forward. The coilovers are a set of Raceland Ultimos. They're pretty inexpensive and offer a lot of ride height adjustability. I can probably go about another inch or so lower if I wanted to, but I think the ride height is pretty much perfect for me right now. I don't have any caster/camber adjustability right now, so I'll be monitoring my tire wear and if it looks like I need to align them in the future I'll purchase some adjustable upper control arms.

For the kammback, I just cut it shorter in length (from 18" off of the back of the rear roofline to 12"), and cut it shorter on the sides. My goal was to make the sides resemble The Donkey CRX's kammback on the White VX, and I think they came pretty close. I'm a lot happier with the way that it looks now compared to before. Even if it wont offer the same aerodynamic benefit.

Enough of me talking, here's a few pics.

Before

After

Thanks for looking guys! Let me know what you think.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bluesteel93 For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (07-19-2015), iveyjh (07-19-2015), ME_Andy (07-19-2015), OG VX (07-20-2015), RPM (07-20-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #93 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

none - '98 Honda Civic HX

none - '00 Chevy (Geo) Metro base

none - '00 Saturn SL1 base
Looks good...
The Following User Says Thank You to iveyjh For This Useful Post:
bluesteel93 (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 02:46 PM   #94 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Camber looks good to me, at least from those pictures.

regards
mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
bluesteel93 (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #95 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel93 View Post

Thanks for looking guys! Let me know what you think.
I think it looks excellent, and this last photo really shows it. I love how precise, relative to most of our EM workmanship, your meeting points of the Kamm and the window framing are. Also, it is possible that the 12" is better than the 18" ... others will know more/better, but afer a while the kamm, sticking out behind the car without sides extending its length, wouod start to get hit by airflow from the sides of the car and might start to produce its own turbulence.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
bluesteel93 (07-19-2015), OG VX (07-20-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 04:27 PM   #96 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Team Honda

Team Turbocharged!
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I think it looks excellent, and this last photo really shows it. I love how precise, relative to most of our EM workmanship, your meeting points of the Kamm and the window framing are. Also, it is possible that the 12" is better than the 18" ... others will know more/better, but afer a while the kamm, sticking out behind the car without sides extending its length, wouod start to get hit by airflow from the sides of the car and might start to produce its own turbulence.
Thanks for the kind words everyone. California98Civic, thank you especially and this means a lot to me. Although, while I do think the quality of the kammback is acceptable, there are a couple minor cosmetic problems that are hard to see in the pictures, but that I do plan to fix in the future. The first being the bow in the center of the kamm where it meets the roofline. This was caused by the heat from welding on the mounting points which made the aluminum warp slightly. It is also slightly uneven on the top of the kamm, above the mounting points, from where I ground down the penetrating welds. Some filler bondo and a little sanding should take care of these issues though, and I plan to work on it again soon... hopefully. None of these issues should affect the functionality though, they are just little things that bug me.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #97 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Great mods! Car is looking amazing! Love the new cuts on the Kamm. Man, that's sharp. Keep it up!
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Old 07-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #98 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Team Honda

Team Turbocharged!
Hey guys! Haven't been on here in awhile and just wanted to give everyone a heads up that the car is for sale. I had a great time building this car to its current state and learning about ecomodding. Pm me if anyone is interested or has any questions. I have an ad in the classified's section.

Reply  Post New Thread