Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2015, 12:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Turtle - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 48.37 mpg (US)

SVO - '86 Ford Mustang SVO
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
It's funny, I started a thread on the Chevy Cruze forum about the downsides of aftermarket intakes. I pointed out that most K&N dyno charts don't go down to low rpm ranges because (most likely) they want to hide the fact that you'll lose low-rpm torque. Take this one for example. It cuts off below 2100 rpm.

http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/69-4522_dyno.pdf

Anyway, there were only a few comments and they were all negative. Some people just don't want to hear it. That's something I appreciate about ecomodder.
Not necessarily. 2100 rpm could just be where they started the dyno pull. I don't really see why a company like K and N would try to hide a loss of very little hp/torque when they make products focused on WOT performance.

I was a little worried when I originally saw the CAI on the car, but after seeing the rest of the car in person it looked like it was taken care of pretty well.

As for the mirrors, I got them from Amazon. I'll have to double check which vendor it was and get back to you. But ya they're not amazing quality by any means but they'll do the job and I've been able to adjust them to where I need them so I'm happy.

Last edited by bluesteel93; 01-10-2015 at 01:12 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Team Honda

Team Turbocharged!
Here's the Amazon link to the spoon mirrors I bought.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0019C190S/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1420913980&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=418vhK%2BhhfL&ref=p lSrch

Let me know if you have anymore questions
Old 01-10-2015, 01:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
Growin a stash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel93 View Post
Not necessarily. 2100 rpm could just be where they started the dyno pull.
I doubt they "happened" to start the dyno pull exactly where the stock and K&N curves cross.

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
Old 01-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Team Honda

Team Turbocharged!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
I doubt they "happened" to start the dyno pull exactly where the stock and K&N curves cross.
Maybe. Maybe not. No way to know for sure. Here is my dyno pull from my 93 Mustang for reference.

The pull starts around 2200 rpm. We weren't trying to trick anyone by starting it there, just wanted to know the numbers.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Team Honda

Team Turbocharged!
Filled up again this afternoon. Averaged 47.6 mpg on this tank. Only changes were the spoon mirrors and HX wheels with tires inflated to 45 psi. I'm pretty happy with my results so far, especially considering I haven't converted it to lean burn yet.

I did work on getting the MPGuino installed today. Didn't finish until after dark so I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. Right now it's just Velcro mounted to the steering column. I think it looks good and I can't wait to see what kind of impact it makes on my driving and MPG's.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Team Honda

Team Turbocharged!
Here are a couple pics of the MPGuino installed.

Like I said its just velcro mounted to the steering column for right now until I can make a more permanent mount for it. I really like it there though because its easy to see and access.

Right now I'm just using the calibration values that were on the wiki for a 49-state VX. I'm assuming they'll be the same for my CA VX since the VSS sensor and injectors are the same. So far the values seem pretty accurate, but I'll know for sure next time I fill up.

I also wanted to use this post to make an outline of all of the mods I have done or plan to do for increasing fuel efficiency. That way I can keep track and people can know what to expect in the future.

Completed Mods:
-Rebuilt transmission
-HX wheels (will be repainted or polished in the future)
-Spoon replica mirrors
-MPGuino

Future Mods:
-Convert to 49-state version with lean burn
-Lowering springs
-Vacuum gauge
-Bridgestone RE92 165/65-14 tires
-Kill switch for EOC
-Warm air intake
-Aluminum grill block
-Aluminum side skirts
-Aluminum front lip
-Aluminum full underbelly with small front splitter and rear diffuser
-Aluminum kammback

I think that's it. If I forgot something I'll add it to the list later. I'm also still in the process of doing general maintenance/tune-up work to the car too, so that will be covered as it is completed.

Please feel free to leave comments or questions about my list
The Following User Says Thank You to bluesteel93 For This Useful Post:
The donkey CRX (01-16-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Nice!! Great thread. Keep it up!
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

The Following User Says Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
bluesteel93 (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 07:21 AM   #28 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Ey blue, I'm sorry to go off topic, but what would you recommend for suspension on a '91 Mustang? I see you have 2 Foxbodys, and the suspension is toast on my '91 and I need to find something that's good for street cruising but also a little strip time.

Where in Cali are you at?

I can't really give you advice on your build except for the tires. RE92'S make a HUGE difference when compared to almost any other 14" tire. Other than converting to lean burn, I don't think you will get any bigger benefit from any of your other mods than you will with Re92's. I was struggling for 55 a tank before my RE92'S. Now I get 62-65 doing 70-75mph with a lot of stop and go traffic and city driving. I would definitely put them at the highest of your priorities. If you live close(ish) to me I can do a cruise down to your place and we can swap my wheels on (HX wheels with RE92'S). So you can see the difference.

I had 185/65R14 on before my RE92.

Last edited by Baltothewolf; 01-17-2015 at 07:27 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Baltothewolf For This Useful Post:
bluesteel93 (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #29 (permalink)
Beating EPA Unmodded

Blue Eagle - '10 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)
Nice MPGuino install! Also nice steering wheel, looks nicely leather wrapped!

The Following User Says Thank You to awcook For This Useful Post:
bluesteel93 (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Team Honda

Team Turbocharged!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Ey blue, I'm sorry to go off topic, but what would you recommend for suspension on a '91 Mustang? I see you have 2 Foxbodys, and the suspension is toast on my '91 and I need to find something that's good for street cruising but also a little strip time.

Where in Cali are you at?

I can't really give you advice on your build except for the tires. RE92'S make a HUGE difference when compared to almost any other 14" tire. Other than converting to lean burn, I don't think you will get any bigger benefit from any of your other mods than you will with Re92's. I was struggling for 55 a tank before my RE92'S. Now I get 62-65 doing 70-75mph with a lot of stop and go traffic and city driving. I would definitely put them at the highest of your priorities. If you live close(ish) to me I can do a cruise down to your place and we can swap my wheels on (HX wheels with RE92'S). So you can see the difference.

I had 185/65R14 on before my RE92.
Hey wolf. So my 93 GT has the Bullitt suspension shock and spring kit on it which is decently priced and it handles ok too. The bad thing is it sits like a 4x4. My SVO has H&R race springs with tokico illumina shocks. I love the way it sits and handles but it was a more expensive set up. So I guess it depends on what you want haha.

As for the tires they are definitely a priority. My list isn't really in order by priority. I'm thinking I should be able to get them next month sometime. But I'm planning on converting it to lean burn and lowering it before then. I live in south OC though and you're more then welcome to make the trip if you want to. I have plenty of free time because I'm still off of work from my knee injury. PM me if you want to set something up.

Reply  Post New Thread