Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Injector connection? Make sure you mentally note the precise thing you did that "fixed it", cause it ain't fixed until you clean that connection thoroughly. If you can't find a ground from a valve cover bolt to the radiator support, MAKE ONE. You can't have too many grounds. My 84 CRX had a bad ground when it was built. Right radio speaker open circuit, factory new wiring harness. I just added a ground.

Also no need to garden hose the engine, a spray bottle like windex is fine. You could damage the engine if done completely wrong.

regards
mech

Last edited by user removed; 05-19-2015 at 08:03 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (05-19-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #32 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Injector connection? Make sure you mentally note the precise thing you did that "fixed it", cause it ain't fixed until...
If it was mine, I wouldn't be disapointed to end up eventually replacing the connector w/ pigtail, and possibly the component it's hooked up to. Considering how much trouble you've gone through. Of course if you find a broken or chaffed wire, maybe just a simple wire repair. Either way I would continue pursuing this issue until it's resolved better than just getting it to go away for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2000mc For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #33 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
update

After 20 or 25 miles of normal operation, the problem returned as I began the return commute. I stopped repeatedly, checking one connection at a time until the problem went away again. It turned out to be the connector into the MAP sensor. Back in March or April, when I repaired the fuel pressure regulator the second time, I relocated my extra brake booster and it seems the vacuum line began to conact and stress the wires into the connector for the MAP. Since it was behind and under the air cleaner box, against the firewall, I did not notice. As soon as I repositioned the vacuum line and reattached the MAP sensor connector, the problem went away.

Perhaps the problem is solved, but only driving will "prove" it.

Thanks!

James
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (05-20-2015), phh (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 06:42 PM   #34 (permalink)
phh
EcoModding Lurker

Wifie's car - '89 Eagle Summit DL
Update?

It's been a while since your last post. Is it fixed? Anything new to report?

My wife's car is experiencing the same problems. Since it's an 1989 model, the on-board diagnostics give limited info. I've taken many of the same steps as you but so far no success. I'm checking the wiring harness next.

Thanks!
Peter
Old 07-30-2015, 08:31 PM   #35 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phh View Post
It's been a while since your last post. Is it fixed? Anything new to report?

My wife's car is experiencing the same problems. Since it's an 1989 model, the on-board diagnostics give limited info. I've taken many of the same steps as you but so far no success. I'm checking the wiring harness next.

Thanks!
Peter
The problem has not returned. Maybe take a look at this other thread and the responses... if you are not familiar with this technique for pulling codes on OBD1 and OBD0, I bet this will help you get more info: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post487287
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
phh (07-31-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 01:36 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

89 would be non-OBD. The only way to check the codes is to pull up the front of the passenger's carpet and look at the ECU when the key is on. There is a window in it, with an LED that will blink out the codes. No long/short blinks, just count the number of blinks until it pauses.

Generally the codes are only blinked out if the check-engine light (CEL) is on.

-soD
The Following User Says Thank You to some_other_dave For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (08-04-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #37 (permalink)
phh
EcoModding Lurker

Wifie's car - '89 Eagle Summit DL
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
89 would be non-OBD. The only way to check the codes is to pull up the front of the passenger's carpet and look at the ECU when the key is on. There is a window in it, with an LED that will blink out the codes. No long/short blinks, just count the number of blinks until it pauses.

Generally the codes are only blinked out if the check-engine light (CEL) is on.

-soD
The car is actually a Mitsubishi Mirage rebadged as an Eagle Summit, not a Honda. I was able to retrieve the trouble-codes with a voltmeter. Unfortunately the codes aren't concise enough and I still need to diagnose by hand (ugh!)

I used California98Civic's post as a rough guide and found it helpful.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hahaha! Whoops, I assumed you were talking about an 89 Civic, since the thread started on Civics.

-soD

Reply  Post New Thread