Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
eco....something or other

wood hauler - '91 Ford F-250
Team Pontiac
90 day: 18.97 mpg (US)

Rav - '06 Toyota Rav4 Base
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
I don't think i can use a shorter belt because of routing

if anyone knows how i can bypass the pump please let me know.
I have the 3800 Series II not supercharged. and you guys are sure i don't have to fight the pump/pressure relief or anything? This magnasteer thing has me kinda confused because it changes the flow to the rack with some type of spool valve i think.....what is my best option for the least money?

1991 F-250:
4.9L, Mazda 5 speed, 4.10 10.25" rear
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
My suggestion - focus on an easier/more worthwhile mod.

Have you done any of the easier aeromods yet?

Old 09-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
IsaacCarlson and Christ -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
My suggestion - focus on an easier/more worthwhile mod.

Have you done any of the easier aeromods yet?
+1. As others have said on other threads, we like to call the easier mods the "low hanging fruit".

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Well, consider mine removed: loosened 2-12mm bolts, a wingnut tension assist, and it slipped right off. I'm leaving the wrench and belt in the car in case I need to install it quickly.

Tomorrow's commute will tell the tale.

(wondering why I didn't do it sooner)...

EDIT: So, what kind of FE boost am I looking at (in addition to the health benefits of a workout to park)? It's been a while since the actual value was discussed...

RH77

_
_

Last edited by RH77; 09-02-2009 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: % Inquiry
Old 09-02-2009, 11:51 PM   #25 (permalink)

I'm considering doing it on Cara, but I don't remember the belt routing... I'll have to check it out tomorrow while I'm out playing, and maybe drive 'er around the block a few times without PS. Shouldn't be too bad, and my wife doesn't drive 'er anyway.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #26 (permalink)
eco....something or other

wood hauler - '91 Ford F-250
Team Pontiac
90 day: 18.97 mpg (US)

Rav - '06 Toyota Rav4 Base
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
i have already added rear wheel skirts and have tried

blocking what grille there is but if i block more than a little bit it overheats.
i am running max sidewall pressure +1 for 45 psi. I also drive at 50 mph including on interstate. i am going to add a lower air dam and belly pan. i would like do do without the p/s anyway. my biggest problem is that it is run with my 1 serpentine belt. I don't think there is an alternate routing because of the way the pulleys are set up. maybe i could just pull the hoses, p/s computer, magnetic sensor coils, control valve, wires, drain the fluid and let the pump run empty?

Turns out i was right about fighting the pump/valves, i cant even turn the wheel going 50 with the car off.....THE STUPID VALVES CLOSE when the pump stops turning and the engine turns off.....IT NEEDS TO GO ASAP!!!!

1991 F-250:
4.9L, Mazda 5 speed, 4.10 10.25" rear
Old 09-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacCarlson View Post
blocking what grille there is but if i block more than a little bit it overheats.
i am running max sidewall pressure +1 for 45 psi. I also drive at 50 mph including on interstate. i am going to add a lower air dam and belly pan. i would like do do without the p/s anyway. my biggest problem is that it is run with my 1 serpentine belt. I don't think there is an alternate routing because of the way the pulleys are set up. maybe i could just pull the hoses, p/s computer, magnetic sensor coils, control valve, wires, drain the fluid and let the pump run empty?

Turns out i was right about fighting the pump/valves, i cant even turn the wheel going 50 with the car off.....THE STUPID VALVES CLOSE when the pump stops turning and the engine turns off.....IT NEEDS TO GO ASAP!!!!
You can loop the lines at the rack, which may fix the problem, and remove the PS pump using a shorter belt.

You can take a string and route it the way you want the belt to run, then cut it and take it to a parts store, they'll find you a belt that will fit.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
I can't believe it didn't do this sooner!

On a route that ranges from 31-34 MPG, today I pulled-off a 38.3 MPG run over 80.1 miles. Count me converted! (Today's weather was closer to a "34" kind of day, so the FE boost is likely closer to 12% vs. 23%. Either way, I'll take it for sure).

Advantages: holding hills at a lower TPS, less strain to restart, and the butt-dyno reports more low-end power. It was just easier to get better FE with less foot. You're also more in-tune with the road surface, which is good. That pump must really eat up a lot of power.

Disadvantages: Of course, more grunt to park -- but it's just like my old Civic -- no biggie. Making 90-degree turns from a stop sometimes required more than a 1/2-turn of the wheel. Beyond the half mark, the wheel tends to want to keep going when under accel -- which is likely the requirement to pull the opposite direction for return-to-center (which is reduced without power).

Idea: For those that need the pump, would it be possible to hook up a separate DC motor and belt (separate from the engine), to turn the pulley as needed? I'm not sure what kind of power draw it would put on the car, but the infrequent use and added weight wouldn't come close to the overall FE savings. I'm guessing that it helps smaller engines more that larger ones.

Thanks to all for the support to go ahead with the project!

RH77

_
_
Old 09-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
I can't believe it didn't do this sooner!

On a route that ranges from 31-34 MPG, today I pulled-off a 38.3 MPG run over 80.1 miles. Count me converted! (Today's weather was closer to a "34" kind of day, so the FE boost is likely closer to 12% vs. 23%. Either way, I'll take it for sure).

Advantages: holding hills at a lower TPS, less strain to restart, and the butt-dyno reports more low-end power. It was just easier to get better FE with less foot. You're also more in-tune with the road surface, which is good. That pump must really eat up a lot of power.

Disadvantages: Of course, more grunt to park -- but it's just like my old Civic -- no biggie. Making 90-degree turns from a stop sometimes required more than a 1/2-turn of the wheel. Beyond the half mark, the wheel tends to want to keep going when under accel -- which is likely the requirement to pull the opposite direction for return-to-center (which is reduced without power).

Idea: For those that need the pump, would it be possible to hook up a separate DC motor and belt (separate from the engine), to turn the pulley as needed? I'm not sure what kind of power draw it would put on the car, but the infrequent use and added weight wouldn't come close to the overall FE savings. I'm guessing that it helps smaller engines more that larger ones.

Thanks to all for the support to go ahead with the project!

RH77
Makes ya wish you'd tried it earlier, eh?

Old 09-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
RH77 -

Cool beans! I seem to remember that manual steering in my CRX as being opposite of my power steering Saturn. Manual is hard at slow speeds and "touchy" at high speeds. Power is easy at low speeds and becomes "sluggish" at high speeds. More updates please.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread