Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ran across another product (Datalogger)

I just ran across this ODBII compliant data-logger.
Car Chip Pro Engine Performance Monitor
No real-time feedback, but an interesting product none-the-less.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

chevynova - '88 Chevy Nova
90 day: 31.84 mpg (US)

Fit - '08 Honda Fit Sport MT
90 day: 39.63 mpg (US)
This is very cool. I have a scan gauge and wouldn't give it up because I like the instant feedback, but I could see myself buying this as another tool within a year or so. I like the fact that it logs the data. I'd like to know more about how you can access/view the data logged. I assume that somehow it will easily be imported to excel (or open office calc) and graphs made showing all of the recorded data. This could then be installed in your friends car to help them trouble shoot an intermittent problem.

edit: I just looked at the specs some more and I definately think that it should be able to log more than 4 parameters. I'd sacrifice most of the 300 hours of capability if it could be 8. I only realistically see a need for ~12 hours tops.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Figjam74 -

I think RH77 has one. I was interested in it, but I think it only logs 4 data points :

ThinkGeek :: Car Chip Pro Engine Performance Monitor
Quote:
- Log up to 4 of 23 engine parameters
CarChip Pro Specs (PDF)
http://www.thinkgeek.com/files/Specs_CarChipPro.pdf
Quote:
Trip Log Report View - Vehicle ID, CarChip data logger ID, start time, end time, duration, time spent at idle, time spent in first speed band, time spent in second speed band, time spent in third speed band, time spent in fourth speed band, distance, average speed, maximum speed, number of hard braking events, number of extreme braking events, number of hard acceleration events, number of extreme acceleration events, list of logged parameters (up to 4 optional data parameters), comments.

Trip Log Plot View - Line graph for vehicle speed and up to 4 optional data parameters
With an Elmscan and the appropriate software, I can log all the data points myself. The Carchip is nifty, but I think it's "window of opportunity" has passed.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 09-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
I see you got your think geek email today also,
These were marketed some years ago as a way for Dads to monitor their kids driving habits, hence the 300 hours of data.
Obviously they are not selling in that market as well anymore so they are now selling them to us info hoarders.
Nice tool though.
May make intermittent problem finding a tad easier.
Schultz

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein
Old 09-24-2008, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
I think RH77 has one. I was interested in it, but I think it only logs 4 data points
That's right (good memory).

It logs 4 parameters that you choose, and vehicle speed, which is a preset -- so a total of 5.

It's handy to monitor what the car is doing after a modification. You can take the data and convert it to a spreadsheet, run reports and trends, etc. The problem is, the SG usually wins the spot for OBDII connecting rights. It takes a snapshot of data every 5-seconds (or longer, depending on your prefs), so maybe hooking the 2 together with a splitter would blink-out the SG momentarily, on that interval. Not sure though...

RH77

_
_
Old 09-25-2008, 11:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Addicted

bbjsw10 - '91 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 51.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroschultz View Post
These were marketed some years ago as a way for Dads to monitor their kids driving habits,
I need this for the wife's car, she always says "I drive easy on it" I could print out a sheet with this. Bwahahaha
Old 09-26-2008, 01:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjsw10 View Post
I need this for the wife's car, she always says "I drive easy on it" I could print out a sheet with this. Bwahahaha
Even better -- it has a G-force meter to track hard stops and starts (you can preset the amount of force to trigger an "event".

I accidentally left it on my Wife's car (was performing a single-blind test of regular vs. premium fuel). She knew I was going to hook it up, but didn't know when. I pulled it and ran the data. I got some "teasing rights" for some top speeds posted

RH77

_
_
Reply  Post New Thread