Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #31 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I got a call back from the guy at Electrical Rebuilders, they do starters,alternators, generators etc. They do a lot of work on busses, firetrucks, etc.

He said they can build 56V generator systems, I would just need to hook an engine up to it.

Unfortunately the setup would be about $1000 for the generator!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-13-2009, 12:05 AM   #32 (permalink)
Losing the MISinformation

Quad Cam - '00 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX
Last 3: 25.94 mpg (US)
I don't mean to start this back in another circle, but since you're just looking to EXTEND you mileage, how about a small diesel engine running one of those windmill generators???Something homemade, working like the one mattW suggested that makes 60 amps or so, will extend your range on the bike a lot. EBay has the generators, and some small diesel engines, at times...

The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal...
Old 05-13-2009, 12:12 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

If Boss Hoss can fit then I beleive Hybrid can fit :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
Last week, at a local showing of WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR?, one of the questions from the audience was if there are any hybrid motorcycles out there.

I briefly spoke about my electric motorcycle conversion, but mentioned that its a bit difficult to cram a gas engine, electric motor, batteries, and everything else all within a motorcycle frame.

I have seen photos of several "range-extending" trailers for automotive EV's.

Why not a sidecar for an electric motorcycle? Instead of space for a passenger, it could carry a generator. Ideally the generator would run bio-diesel or some other renewable fuel.

The only trouble is - I have never ridden with a sidecar, know little about generators, and don't have a clue as to how to hook it up without frying my controller!

That's where you guys come in. I'm sure that with guys like Mazda Matt, Wherewolf, and MPaulHolmes, we could create the Ecomodder EV-Extender Sidecar!

In the end, the electric motorcycle with sidecar would have similar specs to GM's Volt.

Of the list of suggested names for Paul's open source controller, I rather liked "Open ReVolt". As a less expensive (and cooler!) alternative to the Chevy Volt, the name would fit perfect. Motorcycle culture always seems to go for the bad-boy attitude. Maybe I could paint a skull and crossed lightning bolts on there!

So go ahead, let loose with your ideas, concepts, and encouragement!
if a V8 and a turbo 350 tranny can fit there is no reason a hybrid cannot fit?? The Boss Hoss setup is bigger than the whole Prius setup http://www.alumrad.com/BossHossRad.JPG
Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
6000 WATTS SILENT DIESEL GENERATOR REMOTE ELECT START! - (eBay.ca item 280341809386 end time 14-May-09 12:20:04 EDT)

Click the link for 6KW EPA approved diesel generator for under 1000 dollars. It has 120/240 output at 40/20 amps. It even has a 12V output at 8.3A for your accesories!

That all sounds well and good, but can the bike handle towing a 370lb generator on a trailer (likely another 80 pounds, minimum)
Old 05-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Howdy, while a sidecar motorcycle is not the easiest thing to drive, however it does offer advantages, 8 maybe even 10 batteries total for one, along with storage of things if you mount/build a box above the batteries, and it can go in the snow, at least as long as the roads have been plowed, I drive one in the winter here in madison wi. I have been driving a homebuilt sidecar on a BMW motorcycle now for 5 years, and am waiting for the Revolt controller to be available so I can build another bike/sidecar combination with electric drive. be careful of a push trailer, the DOT may chase you for a license for a car, if you have four wheels.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

how about one of the little gensets and a charger? 'bout $125 for a 1k gen::

ETQ Portable Generator — 1200 Surge Watts, 1000 Rated Watts, Model# TG1200 | Buy now for just $124.99! 15X16X13 size. northern tools
Old 05-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Trailer and side car offer the same advantages, except that a trailer is more aero and a sidecar is probably easier to park than backing up a trailer on a bike.

You need to size the generator to be able to output the average power usage of the bike. So assuming that range extension means he's going on a long drive, then it has to provide power equal to the bike's consumption at speed. If ben could find a small trailer and load it up with cinder blocks, he could drive till the batteries are down, time how long it takes, then meter the electricity required to top off the batteries. power usage in kWh divided by the run-down time gives you the kW required to drive the bike, on average.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #38 (permalink)
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
I put together a series hybrid range extender for my electric bicycle, see here:

Series Hybrid with Hubmotor - MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum

You could do this pretty easily.

A 2 kW brushed permanent magnet electric motor (or a little bigger) with rated voltage at about 80V - 100V at around 10,000 rpm. You want to get about 10 - 20V over your rated battery voltage at the highest torque rpm of the gas motor (below).

A 5hp gas motor, preferably with a governor.

A coupling to tie the output shafts together.

A switch to connect the dc motor output with the batteries.

Adjust the governor rpm to output about 10V over your battery voltage.

When you run it under load, it is self regulating because your amp draw is more than the motor can put out. When you are idling, it may fast charge your batteries but only when you have no load on the electric system. Just make sure your max dc generator output is lower than your controller can handle.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm thinking that buying a generator may be more fuel and power efficient than buying an engine not intended for use as a generator and a DC motor not intended for use as a generator and coupling them. I also think that a rectified AC would be better or else your DC motor will be trying to turn over the engine when the engine isn't running (this could be solved with a bigass diode, though).
Old 05-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #40 (permalink)
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
The dc motor will start the gas motor when it is switched on. This allows for easy control of the hybrid system, just switch it on and it provides power. You need a good coupling to do this.

A three phase motor (rectified) is more efficient (I believe) and probably lighter weight for the same power output but will not do the auto start that the dc permanent magnet motor will do. If you have another way to start the gas motor, or just leave the gas motor running all the time, a three phase generator would be preferred. You could also use a belt drive if you did not expect the electric motor/generator to start the gas motor.

Permanent Magnet Alternator Wind Blue High Wind

A gas motor of the typical Briggs and Stratton type will do fine as a generator motor.