Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
75mm is a touch under 3 inches. My STi has more clearance than that underneath, and Subaru engineers still found reason to put a front undertray and two center smoothing trays on the car. Later models also had a rear diffuser installed from the factory It was a pretty ugly little thing so I sincerely doubt they put it there for looks!

I'm not saying that rock crawler 4x4's should expect much benefit, but I am confident that vehicles sporting normal road car ride heights will benefit.

Interesting to me is the benefit side skirts play in keeping the air under there until it can do some good exiting the rear of the car.

Speaking of diffusers, apparently they also do some good at the trailing edge of front splitters. Here's a sample image:

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bio Deezler (sold) - '03 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
90 day: 50.78 mpg (US)

The Beast. - '03 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT
90 day: 12.86 mpg (US)
Any progress? This thread got me to go look under my rear bumper for a while the other day.....
Old 06-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Punk

Honduh Power - '98 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.37 mpg (US)
Yah I have been thinking about it more lately...

I think I should make an under belly tray first... but I can't decide whether to go with coroplast or aluminum sheet metal... I think aluminum might actually be cheaper but coroplast is probably easier to work with.

Any tips on finding the cheapest coroplast around? Should I bother at the hardware stores? I have tried contacting local sign companies.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
diffuser/mpg

with respect to mpg,the diffuser embodies the very rear portion of a complete belly pan,which begins its upsweep as underchassis components permit,rising vertically at no more than a 2.5-degree angle for attached flow.No vanes would be necessary,unless at the extreme outboard position,to form a rear wheel fairing as well as an undercar horizonatal stabilizer for center of pressure control(crosswind stability)as invented by Dr.Alberto Morelli.Vanes of any orientation other than parallel would probably see separation on their leeward side.Spanwise divergence between the rear wheel fairing/diffuser dams could sustain 7-8 degrees,well within the limit for a divergent nozzle in fluid mechanics.Again,the vertical component of the diffuser upsweep is limited to 2.5-degrees.---------- Not sexy,not racy,but it works.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Punk

Honduh Power - '98 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.37 mpg (US)
ok ok ok ok

I know traditionally diffusers work vertically. Or in some cases, vertically and with the aid of the outward sweeping veins then the diffuser functions cross sectionally.

In this case I want to keep things simple, I want to work with only flat surfaces for easy vein application, and to keep it cheap and easy to make.. blah blah blah. Im only going to make it function horizontally. Flat surface, and veins.

Perhaps Im just an idiot.

Thank you for your input, I will plan on maybe using 7 degrees of seperation between the veins then.

I definitely need to get off my rear and build this stupid thing.

Reply  Post New Thread