Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
Re: the OP's question, it should read 9999mpg when you are DFCO'ing.
And it's an 04 focus. It'll have DFCO. My 92 civic had it and my 04 yaris has it.

MisterJeeves,

You say you get better mpg (than DFCO) in neutral. That sounds right. You will coast further in neutral than DFCO. You, with a 2.3 litre, would experience savage engine braking while DFCO'ing. This loss of speed would have to be made up at some point with the resultant loss of mpg. Coasting would use fuel while doing so but there would be a net saving over DFCO. This being a point often overlooked (deliberately?) by the hypermiling detractors.

But for now just make sure you calibrate your SG2 as best you can. After that, just enjoy the feedback it gives. What fun eh??

ollie

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nice to see another Focus driver on these forums!
Old 03-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TBSS - '08 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS 2WD
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '09 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 22.96 mpg (US)

Big Blue Hippo - '06 Chevrolet HHR 2LT
90 day: 45.99 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec-e View Post
MisterJeeves,

You say you get better mpg (than DFCO) in neutral. That sounds right. You will coast further in neutral than DFCO. You, with a 2.3 litre, would experience savage engine braking while DFCO'ing. This loss of speed would have to be made up at some point with the resultant loss of mpg. Coasting would use fuel while doing so but there would be a net saving over DFCO.
There's a big exception to this, however, on long hills. If a hill is long enough so that you need to brake while coasting (to avoid going out of control...or to avoid a speeding ticket), it's better to stay in gear and let the engine brake (i.e. DFCO). I have this exact case on my commute home from work. I have to go down a long hill (about 1 mile of 6-8% grade) with lots of curves. I just stay in gear and let the engine brake and then near the bottom of the hill I shift to neutral (to gain some extra kinetic energy) and coast as far as possible. I end up getting about 1 mile of no fuel use and almost another mile of very low fuel use (coasting). Of course, I pay for it in the morning on the way up to work...
vtec-e (03-20-2010)
Old 03-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speed5 View Post
Of course, I pay for it in the morning on the way up to work...
"...what goes UP, must come DOWN..."

...and that same "exhange" takes place for longer distances too.

...for me, there's a 220 ft difference between home and work, but it's not one long gradual increase in altitude, but rather many UP & DOWN rollercoaster-like mounds on the freeway, that ends up with a cumulative height change of 220 ft.

...so, driving technique (and milage) differs between "going" to work and "returning" from work.

Last edited by gone-ot; 03-20-2010 at 04:18 PM..
Old 03-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TBSS - '08 Chevrolet Trailblazer SS 2WD
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '09 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 22.96 mpg (US)

Big Blue Hippo - '06 Chevrolet HHR 2LT
90 day: 45.99 mpg (US)
Definitely in my case. I've got about a 700 ft altitude change from home to work.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

De Yaris - '04 toyota yaris T2
90 day: 69.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speed5 View Post
There's a big exception to this...............
True, i stand corrected. On suitably steep downhills DFCO is yer only man!
I use it a lot on some hills around here and also coming up to a red light, with brakes if there is a chance it'll go green by the time i get there. I know, i should be slowing much earlier so as not to brake, but i may get run off the road.
And that would be a Very Bad Thing!

I forgot to add to my earlier post that i coast in neutral if the hill is slight and DFCO would slow me too much/at all.
Coasting then allows me to maintain speed or bleed off as little as possible, thereby carrying as much as possible to the next uphill, where i try DWL but find my rate of decceleration often matches that while coasting uphill in neutral. So i often just hold my speed or pulse up to 80-90kph and hold that on the uphill. It seems to use less than if i crawled uphill at, say, 60kph.

ollie
Old 04-27-2010, 03:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
My next SGII problem: I've been experimenting with EOC and the SGII turns off shortly after the engine stops. Of course, after turning the key to "0" to stop the engine I immediately turn to "I". (My ignition only has 3, not 4, positions: "0", "I", and "Start". I don't know if it's because it's a diesel, or a Peugeot.) The fuel type is 'diesela'. After switching the fuel type to 'hybrid' I got weird fuel readings, like 1.5-2.5 liter per hour in idle (in 'diesela' mode it's 0.6 l/h), fuel consuption increasing when it should decrease, non-zero value when engine braking, plus it still shuts off on a long coast. In either fuel type it does not display speed or increasing distance while EOCing, but the car's speedo and odometer do.

I'm guessing that my car somehow signals that the engine is on or off, since many other accessories shut down along with the engine (ventilation fan, lights), even if I kill the engine by stalling instead of turning the key. Maybe there is a wire which changes voltage? If I could tap into it then I could have ventilation while engine-offing at a red light

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 04-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mater - '98 Dodge 3500 Dually

Wilber - '99 Toyota Corolla LX

Minyatta - '93 Mazda Miata MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Unless your focus is a hybrid, then you won't see 9999 MPG with the engine running.
The only way you are going to get 9999 MPG on the SG on a non-hybrid is if you shut off the engine and EOC. Or if you have a car that has fuel cutoff while in gear (DFCO?), then you can coast in gear down hills and see 9999 after a few seconds. Good luck, and welcome to Ecomodder!
I get the 9999 on mine in my Corolla. I've been using mine for a few weeks & love the feedback it gives me. It is amazing that on the same commute, I can have variences in economy, such as driving back home. I like seeing how many miles I've driven in a day, fuel cost, & MPG display for the day. I'm having lots of enjoyment. On the way to a gig I got 46.1 & on the way back home, & I thought I was even watching closer got 45.5. My overall average is like 44.5. I think that's great especially since I onlt thought I would get around 30 in a 4dr car. I only got 32-33 in a 98 4dr Elantra, but it was an automatic.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Piwoslaw,

We gasoline fueled drivers use the SG's hybrid fuel type setting to keep our SGs on after ignition shut-off. Since that doesn't work for your diesel, I don't think there's any easy solution for you.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Reply  Post New Thread