Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Audi - '05 Audi S4
90 day: 17.82 mpg (US)

Saturn - '01 Saturn SC SOHC
90 day: 46.81 mpg (US)
do you think this would work on a car?
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...questid=121588

interesting fuel-water seperator vid:

Last edited by al_capwn; 03-22-2010 at 08:40 PM..

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
Safe to assume little engines suffer the ethanol.

my sube does not like it , a 1781 cc two barrel (tiny barrels)

I even changed rubber lines to aluminum as directed by maine state website...
my car hates the ethanol..

but if to step up to premium, increased mileage may offset the pennies difference?

playing with chemicals in my parkng spot is out of the question. what would dissolve ethanol as an additive?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
See, I look at it another way. If you were to do this with E85..

You can get REALLY cheap 190 proof liquor this way. Right?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brucey For This Useful Post:
Christ (03-22-2010), Funny (03-30-2010)
Old 03-22-2010, 08:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...ethanol "eats" aluminum.

...and (did you know, I didn't!) that it's also electrically conductive...not a nice situation inside a fuel tank.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Audi - '05 Audi S4
90 day: 17.82 mpg (US)

Saturn - '01 Saturn SC SOHC
90 day: 46.81 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post

WTF!

Old 03-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...here's what the NMMA has to say about ethanol's propensity to absorb water, attack aluminum, and conduct electrical (galvanic) current:
http://www.nmma.org/lib/docs/nmma/gr...tion_Paper.doc

Old 03-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys View Post
You know frank you could be right. Maybe its not the Ethanol. I don't know. all anecdotal evidence clearly says its fuel. This "appears" to be confirmed when I go out of state where ethanol is not used as much and my Fuel Economy suddenly returns to normal.

I will still fully admit it could be my cars. but WHAT could afflict so many cars from some many generations and manufacturer's all the same way? as for testing on NON ethanol after going to ethanol I have only done that on 3 cars.

The van when I travel out of state. its mileage returned to normal.

The Jeep I ran it on stale gas from the RV and its FE went back to normal while I was on that gas (it was 4 or 5 years old so it was pre ethanol at the time over a year ago)

My minivan. when I changed the fuel pump in my second it still had about 10 gallons of pre ethanol fuel in the tank. I thought it was bad fuel (it was the pump not the fuel)

not wanting to waste what was at the time $40 in gasoline I decided to dump it into the minivan filling its take with almost the entire 10 gallons.

on that nearly 50/50 mixture my MPG's went up to 26 (not quite the 28 I used to get) on the next tank it was back down to 18mpg (this was before I found out wawa got me better mpg's)

but I admit as daming as this is its not long term enough to be conclusive thats why I want to try this. Get to the bottom of it even if it means its not the fuel at least I will know.
Centrifuge might release suspended water from gasoline, but it might also separate other blended components. Keep in mind, the stuff is mixed in a batch blender (with other methods as well), so all the ingredients are only being held together by tension between each ingredient.

There is only a physical relationship between them, no chemical binders (that I know of).

Old 03-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl
I have better things to do with my time. I guess if your time isn't worth much than you can spend it doing this. I don't see the cost benefit playing out. And that's not counting the fact that all the water you use to "wash" your gas, is now toxic waste, and I have my doubts that you are disposing of it legally.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post

...and (did you know, I didn't!) that it's also electrically conductive...not a nice situation inside a fuel tank.
What's wrong with conducting electricity? It doesn't create electricity, it conducts it.

Also, a spark won't ignite a liquid fuel. That's why there's never been a reported tank explosion from a faulty fuel pump, that I'm aware of.

IF you want to test the theory, dump some 190 Alcohol in a bucket. Secure a lid to the bucket, and secure a glove to a hole in the lid so that it's all airtight.

Inside the bucket, place a torch lighter (the sparky thing), so that you can reach into the glove and pick it up. Click it a few times, and be amazed when nothing happens.

Do the same thing with a bucket of gasoline, and once again, be amazed when nothing happens.

Obviously, you probably shouldn't try this without a professional present. You could die.

In reality, the only way you'll get a spark to ignite gasoline is in the case where the spark transfers enough energy to the liquid fuel that it begins to vaporize it in the presence of oxygen. If it's in a bucket, you'll have to wait until the lid pops off the bucket because of the pressure building from the phase change, then when oxygen comes in, wait for the spark to be introduced to fuel (vaporized) and air in the proper quantities before anything spectacular happens.

Of course, once it does light off, you won't have a chance to run.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
I have better things to do with my time. I guess if your time isn't worth much than you can spend it doing this. I don't see the cost benefit playing out. And that's not counting the fact that all the water you use to "wash" your gas, is now toxic waste, and I have my doubts that you are disposing of it legally.
If it's fact, you'll have no trouble providing evidence?

Ethanol is biodegradable... and the only other ingredients will be whatever was in the water to begin with as contaminants, some of which are surely much worse than any amount of ethanol he could dump in the back yard, such as (depending on location) the drugs that people dump down the toilet when they've expired, which water treatment plants are now admitting they're not equipped to handle.

Gasoline, being an oil, will not actually mix with water, so it can't contaminate "Wash" water.

If oils and waters would mix without a catalyst, you'd be able to yell at everyone that makes their own bio-diesel, as well. They wash with water to get the soap/fat out of the batch, and the remaining product can simply be washed down the drain, if one so desired.

And they wonder why I don't drink "clean city water supply" water.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread