Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Request: Concise article on the project

It would be very helpful if you were to sticky an article, maybe a wiki, on
1. What MPGuino is and does
2. the current status of the project - does it work? Flawlessly?
3. What parts are needed, where to source them, and the differences between various *duinos. e.g. this one appears to be smaller and cheaper than the FreeUdino. Is it any good?

The current 25-page workspace isn't very friendly to newcomers.

Your project looks promising, and I'd like to build one if someone could answer questions 2 and 3. TIA.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
2. the current status of the project - does it work? Flawlessly?
3. What parts are needed, where to source them, and the differences between various *duinos. e.g. this one appears to be smaller and cheaper than the FreeUdino. Is it any good?

The current 25-page workspace isn't very friendly to newcomers.

Your project looks promising, and I'd like to build one if someone could answer questions 2 and 3. TIA.
2. I know people are running them in their cars already, but some have complaints about some screen settings not working well, and sometimes there are jumpy numbers on the screen, but overall people seem really happy with them, and you can reprogram them, so if you find flaws, have at it or seek help from others.

3. I am currently building an "iGuino", so you may want to check it out. There are some extra parts you do need, like a voltage regulator, a large capacitor and a couple others. I have a parts list, and you can actually buy most of the parts from Fundamental Logic (makers of the iDuino). Once I am sure mine is running, I will be posting pictures for all to oogle over (or criticize). Hopefully everything I have done can be easily replicated by others.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I wrote this: MPGuino: Open-source, DIY Fuel Economy Instrumentation for under $50 | Hypermiling, Fuel Economy, and EcoModding News - EcoModder.com

You only really need to read the first post in the release one thread anyway.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
SVOBoy, I wish I had found that article first. Yeah, that's exactly the kind of introduction to MPGuino that a newbie needs.

Wyatt, thanks for the link. I'm a mechanical engineer, not electrical, so I'm a little bit out of my element here. I don't understand how the circuit works or what each of its parts do. But if you think your parts list is a good one, I'll order the parts tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Wyatt, thanks for the link. I'm a mechanical engineer, not electrical, so I'm a little bit out of my element here. I don't understand how the circuit works or what each of its parts do. But if you think your parts list is a good one, I'll order the parts tomorrow.
The only thing I might change would be the large capacitor to the 330, since that's what was originally recommended... I too feel your pain at being an ME, I really only know a little about circuits and such, but I am going to use the 470, since that's what I have in hand.