Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

GoldFocus - '09 Ford Focus SE
Unfortunately, while IR thermometers are great, especially now that their prices have come down substantially, they don't read through glass. The temperature reading through the sight glass won't be accurate or of much value in giving the ninja's oil temp.

As for the thermocouple, it will work. The wire is very thin and flexible. While looking at your oil fill opening, the clutch basket is to the left. There's more then enough clearance for the wire to slide down the sidecover to the oil level. On your bike, the thermocouple will have no problem. In fact, this is the whole reason and purpose for their use, getting into tight, tough spots.

As a side, the wire will also feed easily into an auto dipstick tube. The wires are also usually supplied in 3ft lengths but just about any length can be ordered.

Doug

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #32 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Glass has a high thermal transfer coefficient, doesn't it?

That means the glass should be at the same temp as the oil within a few mins...

Old 12-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

GoldFocus - '09 Ford Focus SE
Interesting point but take into account the oil level doesn't exceed the full length of glass. In this scenario, it would likely be better to focus on the engine below the oil level near the bottom of the sump; however as heat is being applied externally to the engine, I'd have reservations about validity of this reading. It would be best to compare results with a thermocouple submerged in the oil but then after getting such a thermometer - the questions becomes mute.

Doug
Old 12-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #34 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I was just coming back to fix that... I forgot he's applying external heat, so the oil won't transfer the heat with the same efficiency as it would if it were actually being heated. (I think oil is formulated to disperse heat, not absorb it... I could be wrong)

But regardless, the IR thermometer probably isn't going to get you a very good reading.

Oh - Regarding the glass, watch MythBusters. YOU CAN defeat an IR camera security system with a pane of glass in front of you.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Just FYI guys, I wanna repeat something I said last week:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Atomic Ass View Post
...while the rear of the engine, directly beneath the carburetors is not cold to the touch, and, most importantly, the engine cranks up without choke. It also begins registering coolant temp within a block, as well as the engine-oil-bathed transmission shifts remarkably smoother...
I think this speaks volumes more than knowing what temperature my oil is exactly.

Reply  Post New Thread