Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Weight Reduction

4x4 - '06 Nissan Altima 2.5 Special Edition
90 day: 29.04 mpg (US)

Mom's Van - '99 Plymouth Voyager SE
90 day: 25.62 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to ankit
Returning after 2-3 year hiatus-New ride

Hey guys,

I don't know if many/any of you remember me. I have a 2.5L Nissan Altima that I was not getting the best mileage with. I then left for college (without my car) and had no use for hypermiling. I got my car down here last year and didn't use it too much. I'm now a Senior at Virginia Tech and have more need for my car. But I've picked up a new ride (that gets way better fuel economy).

I present to you my Raleigh Misceo:

(Me on the left in exercise mode)

(Stock photo of similar rig)

At first my regular 5 mile commute was tough. But now 5 miles is becoming a warm up. I usually average 10.5 mph-11.5 mph for the usual hilly commute. I did not have a bike computer until a few weeks ago. In that period, I have put on ~200 miles. I don't know how many total in the past two semesters but it would be atleast 600 miles. Technically it is a hybrid bike (has some suspension, handlebar configurations from mountain bike; has gearing, tires more like road bike).

Quote:
Live Simply So Others Can Simply Live
-Ed Begley Jr.

Last edited by ankit; 05-02-2013 at 11:33 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
Hey, this is EcoMODDER.com. Where's the streamline blade spokes, the aero pedals, the streamline helmet, the skin tight cycling shirt and shorts, ....?

It looks like the young woman has her bike seat set too low.

And good going on the fitness.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.23 mpg (US)
^^^what he said! Need to streamline that bike in every way possible! At first when you said hybrid, I was still in car mode and thought you had the generator/battery setup, but then I realized you meant the bike version of a hybrid!

In all seriousness, good looking bike!

Good luck on finishing school and welcome back to EM! You probably got like a thousand or two threads to catch up on!

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I would love to see a bike setup like a vetter motorcycle. I think that's a thing...but I imagine the weight would off set gains for aero, unless super lightweight or your trips are down hill both ways

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I would love to see a bike setup like a vetter motorcycle. I think that's a thing...but I imagine the weight would off set gains for aero, unless super lightweight or your trips are down hill both ways
You'd be surprised. At his current speed of 11 MPH, aero drag is at least half of his total drag. When he gets more fit and gets up to 15 MPH or so, aero is really significant.

Also, bicycle tire pressure really affects rolling resistance. More so than with car tires.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
You'd be surprised. At his current speed of 11 MPH, aero drag is at least half of his total drag. When he gets more fit and gets up to 15 MPH or so, aero is really significant.

Also, bicycle tire pressure really affects rolling resistance. More so than with car tires.
Interesting. Do you know of any previous builds on bikes?

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Weight Reduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post

This guy knows what he is talking about. Her seat was too low but she has a nicer setup now (Raleigh comfort hybrid) and is really getting into riding now.

I want to get smoother tires but I do a good amount of "off road" riding on gravel and grass (abaout 15-20% of my ride) so I don't think that would be a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
gains for aero, unless super lightweight or your trips are down hill both ways
Like JR said, aero affects the ride A LOT. So it is more like uphill both ways. It is just absurd when I get upwards of 25-30 miles per hour.

I will get an updated picture of my "aero" mod but don't hold your breath because it's not all that impressive. I'm in the process of finding a new headlight and computer. I've got two more hybrid bikes just sitting there at the moment so I'm going to try to trade for a road bike this summer.

Quote:
-Ed Begley Jr.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Got MPG?

The Car - '09 Toyota Corolla CE Enhanced
Whatever setup she has...it seems to be working for her.

Ecomodding cars are one thing, but for me when it comes to pedal bikes...clothing, tight tires & an aero helmet like the Tour de France riders and you're doing well enough. Velodome riders and their sprint bikes don't look normal at all and aren't practical because you have varied terrain & you get cross winds...in other words you interact with real life conditions. Aero mods can quickly work against you in a cross wind situation and if you are contending with traffic and other people it can even be a hazard.

You are exercising, not running a car for that period of time, and enjoying nature. Its a total win on all accounts.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Weight Reduction

Yea. But if I'm commuting, i wear my normal clothes. Sneakers, khakis or jeans, and a button up or a polo shirt. What I'm wearing in the picture is not normal. I also wear a helmet more often then not now. If I mod this bike (not likely), it will be to have nicer components, safety mods (lights/reflectors), and cargo.

But with the nicer weather, I find myself using $5-10 of fuel every couple of weeks. This is down from $15-20 a week or more. After riding for a couple of weeks, my pants definitely feel looser and that is nothing to complain about (weight reduction mod?).

Quote:
-Ed Begley Jr.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Got MPG?

The Car - '09 Toyota Corolla CE Enhanced
Its great that you are seeing results.

When I commuted on bike one of the best mods I ever did was add a seat post mounted rack fully removable. It allowed me to carry and change of clothes so I could wear tighter lighter weight riding gear, change into fresh clothes while I work. It saved on work clothes getting dirty from road grime and I didn't smell like a locker room for the day. The bicycling clothes really reduce drag as bulkier clothing acts like a sail in the wind. It also allows for better physical movement.

Thumbs up for the safety mods, especially the helmet. The head is one part that doesn't stand up too well to impacts.

Reply  Post New Thread