Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 03:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
El Mirage Dry Lake Bed (Southern California)

Hello -

Looks like Bonneville light :

El Mirage Dry Lake Bed

El Mirage Main Page

El Mirage and Bonneville Land Speed Racing Event Schedule
Quote:
May 15-16
Jun 13
Jul 11
Sep 12
Oct 24
Nov 13-14
This could be a great place to test aero mods in SoCal, but I can't tell how much it costs, or where our "stock" cars would fit in terms of class.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Bow
Old School Hashiriya

Fred - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 26.57 mpg (US)
I want to run out there on the salt SOOOO bad...

I built an engine for doing it, I just need an car to run it in...

Old 01-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
El Mirage

I just visited with family in Phoenix/Peoria,AZ.
One of my nephews worked for a sport truck racing team owned by a Mr.Cenni.
They did development work at El Mirage and my nephew claims that the lake bed is "open",not gated like Bonneville.
You might call the Adelanto Sheriff's Dept. and check.
Or you can join the Southern California Timing Association and run at one of their scheduled meets.
Snell approved helmet,5-lb fire extinguisher,metal valve stems,caps,and forward driveshaft sling ( if RWD ) is all that is required for "street class".
They provide fire and rescue,ambulance,and CARE-Flight if necessary.
Tires must be rated for your anticipated speed and you may have to do a 100-mph handling run to make sure your speed-indicating equipment is reasonably calibrated.
Get someone to video your run.The dust rooster-tail will reveal your wake.
Much cheaper than a big wind tunnel.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

Team Saturn
aerohead -

Thanks for the info. It's about 70 minutes from home, so I may go up and investigate. Even though faster speeds make aeromods more "visible" in the data (right?!?!?!), I doubt I would go over 70 MPH. I can datalog the OBD-II protocol, so I think I could do "quality" testing with/without aeromods. I think a good aeromod would show a lower engine load (OBD-II parameter LOD) at X RPM * Y MPH.

CarloSW2

Last edited by cfg83; 01-27-2010 at 08:14 PM..
Old 01-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow View Post
I want to run out there on the salt SOOOO bad...

I built an engine for doing it, I just need an car to run it in...
I notice you live in Texas.
Are you familiar with the Texas Mile ?
TEXAS MILE // OFFICIAL SITE // 3 DAYS, 1 MILE: NO SPEED LIMIT

Not too far from where you live actually.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bow
Old School Hashiriya

Fred - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 26.57 mpg (US)
Yes Sir, I have read a lot about it, but I have yet to make it to a meet...

and that $200 enter fee to run is a bit discouraging...

Old 01-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
aerohead -

Thanks for the info. It's about 70 minutes from home, so I may go up and investigate. Even though faster speeds make aeromods more "visible" in the data (right?!?!?!), I doubt I would go over 70 MPH. I can datalog the OBD-II protocol, so I think I could do "quality" testing with/without aeromods. I think a good aeromod would show a lower engine load (OBD-II parameter LOD) at X RPM * Y MPH.

CarloSW2
Yes,the square/cube relationship for aero drag/power really shows with speed.That's why top speed remains a telling indicator of efficiency.
The beauty of the OBD-II tech is that you don't have to burn through tankfulls of fuel to learn if a mod is working.It's the way of the future.
In addition to tuft testing,El Mirage could make for "dramatic" video.If you run up there,you might take along a co-pilot which could shoot footage as you drive at normal highway velocity across the lakebed,capturing your car's wake.
I hope to do this one day with the T-100/Viking combo.And with the gap-fillers!
Old 01-31-2010, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

Team Saturn
Hello -

Ok, I visited it with my friend yesterday. It looks like anyone can use the lake bed and there are no racing/safety requirements like the SCTA has.

The visitor center closes at 4:30 PM. We got there around 4 PM and they didn't charge us because we were only on a scouting mission. Besides, the lake bed was closed because it is still wet/muddy from the recent Southern California rains. Here is more info :

El Mirage OHV Recreation Area, Barstow Field Office, Bureau of Land Management California

Quote:
El Mirage Lakebed

The lakebed is a flat playa formed in an undrained basin. Silt and clay are deposited into this basin during periods of heavy rain. When the "lake" dries, a hard pan dry lakebed is left.

This hard, smooth surface is ideal for the unique activities conducted at El Mirage. These include ultra-light aircraft and gyrocopter flying, model rocketry, remote control airplane flying, landsailing and straight track racing. Many private pilots land on the lakebed to spend the day. The surface character has attracted the interest of many filming companies. Several major movies have scenes filmed here.

There is no speed limit on the open lakebed, but vehicle operators are responsible for their own safety, OHV rules and regulations, and knowing what is going on around them. The maximum speed limit is 15 miles per hour within 50 feet of camps and staging areas.

During permitted events, special speed limits and traffic restrictions are posted. Please watch for these events. To maintain a smooth surface, the lakebed is closed when wet or muddy. The California Highway Patrol, San Bernardino County Sheriff, and BLM Rangers patrol the area to encourage safe use by visitors.

Camping is permitted on the lakebed, but no more than 100 feet from the edge. This keeps the smooth center section of the lakebed clear for night riders.
The permits are:

$15 for a one day permit, valid from dawn to dusk
$30 for a weekly permit, valid for 7 days
$90 for an annual permit, valid from October 1, 2009 - September 30, 2010

The areas of interests include El Mirage Dry Lakebed, the Shadow Mountains, El Mirage Basin, and the Twin Hills area. This makes up a 24,000 acre of public and private land. Elevations range from about 2,800 feet at the El Mirage Dry Lake to more that 3,800 feet in the Shadow Mountains.

During summer months, temperatures can reach a high of 120 degrees F. Summer thunderstorms can come with spectacular force, although most of the minimal precipitation falls during winter months. Winter lows can fall to 5 degrees F. at night, with highs in the 60 to 70 degree F. range during the day. Spring and Fall temperatures are moderate and fall between these extremes.
Based on what I am seeing this would be perfect for aeromod testing when these conditions are met :

1 - Non windy (consult weather.com for Barstow and cross your fingers it doesn't change)
2 - Not-too-many-other-people day (aka weekday?)
3 - Not-a-special-event-day (mostly weekends)

Driving notes: I haven't driven up a real hill in my car in a long time. I had to downshift from 5th to 4th gear for a few stretches because my 5th gear + hot-air-intake was making me powerless, and my grill block was heating my coolant up more than I like (in still-chilly weather). If/when I go again, I think I will remove the HAI and grill block for the uphill portion of the trip and restore them for the downhill.

CarloSW2

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfg83 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-01-2010), California98Civic (01-28-2012)
Old 02-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mojave Airport

Quote:
Hello -

Ok, I visited it with my friend yesterday. It looks like anyone can use the lake bed and there are no racing/safety requirements like the SCTA has.

The visitor center closes at 4:30 PM. We got there around 4 PM and they didn't charge us because we were only on a scouting mission. Besides, the lake bed was closed because it is still wet/muddy from the recent Southern California rains. Here is more info :

El Mirage OHV Recreation Area, Barstow Field Office, Bureau of Land Management California

Based on what I am seeing this would be perfect for aeromod testing when these conditions are met :

1 - Non windy (consult weather.com for Barstow and cross your fingers it doesn't change)
2 - Not-too-many-other-people day (aka weekday?)
3 - Not-a-special-event-day (mostly weekends)

Driving notes: I haven't driven up a real hill in my car in a long time. I had to downshift from 5th to 4th gear for a few stretches because my 5th gear + hot-air-intake was making me powerless, and my grill block was heating my coolant up more than I like (in still-chilly weather). If/when I go again, I think I will remove the HAI and grill block for the uphill portion of the trip and restore them for the downhill.

CarloSW2
Carlo,you'll also kinda be near Mojave,north of Landcaster,Rosamond.
The Rutan Bros. Scaled Composites is their and they use the airport runways or taxiways for aero testing.You might want to drop by and see if they might share info about their setup.I hope to do so when/if I get back that way.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
This would be a cool SoCal meet up site?

Quote:
Eventually, this is a great possible site for SoCal meet-ups and testing?

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread