Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Homer - '02 Pontiac Sunfire SE
Team Pontiac
90 day: 30.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantthought View Post
I'm pretty sure I've read about some cars where if they were aligned without a weight on the interior to simulate passengers their alignment would end up being off. Possibly something like that?
I was thinking the same thing. Most people who do new suspension will drive for about a week to break it in before aligning but if they don't they'll weight the trunk and drivers seat to simulate the weight of passengers and cargo. It could be that your car was misaligned and may need to be realigned with weight inside.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wear on the edge of a tire is camber, not toe. Toe causes the whole tire thread to feather or to wear unevenly across the whole tread. Camber causes tire to wear on the inner edge, outer edge or center. I lowered my vehicles, therefore they have a negative camber and wear on the inner edge. They also corner better as the weight builds the whole surface of the tire makes contact with the road. If the camber was 0, then as I go into a corner hard the weight would shift to just the outer edge.

Yes, you should have your vehicle setup during the alignment as it will be used in service. Full weight, full tank of fuel, full set of tools, etc.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #33 (permalink)
What did I just do?!

Angry Bird - '10 Toyota Prius
90 day: 62.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Wear on the edge of a tire is camber, not toe. Toe causes the whole tire thread to feather or to wear unevenly across the whole tread. Camber causes tire to wear on the inner edge, outer edge or center. I lowered my vehicles, therefore they have a negative camber and wear on the inner edge. They also corner better as the weight builds the whole surface of the tire makes contact with the road. If the camber was 0, then as I go into a corner hard the weight would shift to just the outer edge.

Yes, you should have your vehicle setup during the alignment as it will be used in service. Full weight, full tank of fuel, full set of tools, etc.
Might be best for me to go with a proper alignment anyway then. Since I use it for courier work the weight inside differs greatly, from sometimes just a couple pounds to over 600 (not including myself). This is day to day and I never know what I'll have.

Alright, so what would be the recommendation to try? I'm always up for a good experiment. From what I've read, toe can also cause wear on the outsides of the tire and I did only specify to change the toe and not camber or caster. Tuesday is when I'll be going back in for the alignment, so what would you suggest? Is the possible efficiency gains worth it? Will these things wear my tires out more. And to keep in mind, I don't mind if the vehicle is a little less stable on the road. While it's neat and all to be able to take your hands off the steering wheel and still have it go straight for a half mile...you shouldn't be taking your hands off the wheel anyway.

So what are the thoughts?

Old 06-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It should be aligned to specs. The insight requires a zero toe, but that can cause some wiggles in windy weather. Since I am lowered I am -1 camber on both sides. This could be adjusted with camber bolts, but I rather keep it.

When you get alignment fill up gas tank and see if you can get a load that would be typical of you carrying.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #35 (permalink)
What did I just do?!

I know I've been silent for a bit but yay, I'm returned!

I've now installed the ECT Spoofer that's available over at Prius Chat. I'm not sure of it's effectiveness yet but it does work as intended I can say that. I'll do some more messing around with it later on to make sure. And post some pictures as well. Along with the story of me setting off, I think, every error code the Hybrid system has to offer. So nothing but good times and laughs ahead

Old 07-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Cool

Nothing like making the dash board like up like a Christmas tree.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #37 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Nothing like a pix to provide the "...other 999 words..."

Old 07-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #38 (permalink)
What did I just do?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Nothing like a pix to provide the "...other 999 words..."

Nice pics! Of course, I had the alignment set to spec a week ago :P And I can say it lowered my mpg about 5mpg (according to the on-screen display which I still need to see how much it's on or off). After I had the toe set to 0, mpg was reading about 62, since setting to spec again it reads 56. This is with only using cruise control and similar weather conditions. No wind, warm, dry. So it definitely had an effect. Other than some wear on the insides of the tires XD

Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The prius 3 doesnt require a zero toe like the gen 2 insight?
Old 07-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #40 (permalink)
What did I just do?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
The prius 3 doesnt require a zero toe like the gen 2 insight?
I believe the shop said to be in spec it's .2 to .4? Not sure...though I'm going to be taking it back soon. Ever since the alignment it has been all over the road...slightest wind and I'm nearly pushed into oncoming traffic. I imagine this wasn't by design. XD

Reply  Post New Thread