Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 07:14 PM   #71 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Hello -

I took off the vertical coroplast you see above because it was creating a backpressure and making the AC work harder (the fan already scrapes, so you could hear it scrape even more). The top horizontal shade is still fine because there is no "pressure-venting". When I detached the lower part of the vertical Coroplast (a hard disk magnet), it angled out close to 45 degrees from the exhaust pressure.

I would like to put a lightweight "shady tarp" in it's place, but it would need to be fire retardant because the AC exhaust is very hot. I might retest the coroplast without the lower magnet-anchor to see if the backpressure problem goes away. I couldn't do that last time because I didn't want to leave my wife "stuck" with the problem .... Ding! I know, I'll just use S-hooks. Easy-on, easy-off.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #72 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Can't you just hang something on the top so that it just sticks straight out, so that it blocks the sun from above?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #73 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Arminius -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
Can't you just hang something on the top so that it just sticks straight out, so that it blocks the sun from above?
Yes, that's a good idea too. I can "extend" the shade with more coroplast.

Ooooh, I know what. I can calculate the sun angles for June through August. All I need to know is how much sun is "hitting" the side over daylight hours X to Y and extend/shade accordingly.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 06-24-2008, 10:23 PM   #74 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2000FordRanger - '00 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooelecherokee View Post
I have a fin comb in the mail so that I can straighten out the fins that my 3 year old has pressed over and get even better efficiency out of it.
Thanks, I didn't know about fin combs. The different products at Amazon.com are a bit confusing. How did you decide what to get?

Lane
Old 06-26-2008, 02:11 AM   #75 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
A/C Compressor Quit

So I don't hijack the current thread-line, here's the latest on the A/C.

RH77

_
_
Old 06-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #76 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

N8sPony - '98 Ford Mustang
Mine's not too bad, I only have a 1bd apartment to cool, so I usually turn it on when I get home from work, leave the blinds closed all day, and then turn it off when the apartment's cooled down, leave it off while I sleep, and leave it off til I get back from work the next day, so it's usually only running for maybe 2-3 hours a day. and I live in oklahoma, where it's like 98 out right now and humid, god I miss the dry heat of new mexico...
Old 07-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #77 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Cool-n-mist power savings

I have had this cool-n-save thing on my AC compressor for couple years, but never figured out how much it actually helped. Until today... I just got an idea to measure the current the compressor consumes. I have an clamp on current meter that I can easily clamp on the wires.

Today it was hot day in Texas, about 99F, and I fired up the AC. (Believe it or not... I really do not use our central AC much... I use mostly window AC units on the rooms we reside) At first without Cool-n-save operating the current consumption was ~18.3A. When I turned the cool-n-save on the current dropped to ~17.4A. This is on a 3.5 ton Carrier brand compressor from 2001.

Calculating back you can see about 5% reduction in power consumption. This is on the compressor only, but I do not think the compressor does "work more" BTU's. Does it? The reason for my thinking is that it is a piston based compressor and always compress the same amount of gas to condenser coil... and the RPM stays the same due to motor locked to 60Hz. (But I could be wrong... I'm not AC expert.)

It really seem to help more if the water is sprayed to the coils and evaporates there, rather than in air. But as most you know the buildup of deposit is rather serious problem. It is not easy to wash out. I have tried to use CLR but it can remove some of it, not all. (At least when not tried intensive brushing...)

I think the same or better effect would be achieved with geothermal system where the compressor condenser would be cooled with earth cool water. This is more expensive system but in the long run should pay itself back. It could also be used as heat pump during winter.

By the way, my first post here!

Last edited by Mara; 07-05-2008 at 09:03 PM..
Old 07-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #78 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Window AC performance improvement

I have two Kenmore window AC units that I was always wondering why the design was made such that some of the condensed water was always left in the bottom, so that the fan blades hit the water and splash it to the condenser coil. Now I know the reason! It does provide the same effect than cool-n-save does for the central AC compressor...

The AC unit has a drain hole on the back which is plugged with a rubber plug. I thought it was stupid to keep water in there and removed the plugs... Now I'm putting them back.

I measured the input power of the AC unit by using Kill-a-watt power meter. I can see about 10% power decrease after plugging the hole.

With this in place now the AC can maybe live up to its 10.8 EER rating...
Old 07-07-2008, 02:42 AM   #79 (permalink)
T-100 Road Warrior

BZP T-100 (2010) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 24 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2011) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 23.66 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2009) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 19.01 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2012) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 25.45 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2013) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 25.79 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2014) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 23.18 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2015) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 23.85 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2016) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 17.62 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2017) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
90 day: 20.78 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2018) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2019) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5

BZP T-100 (2020) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5

2012 Scion iQ - '12 Scion iQ Base
Thanked 1,395 Times in 968 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to BamZipPow
You need to build a screen system that allows any water that hasn't evaporated to filter through. Think of it like a shield system. I would build it at least 6-12" away from the coils and cap off the top. This would force the incoming cooler air through the screen. Any build up would be on the screen material instead of the coils. I would suggest the poly window screen material to build with.

I built a sun shade that kept the condenser coils out of the sun fer my friend in San Antonio as his AC was working hard and hardly cooling. His condenser unit got full sun all day until the evening time (about 5pm). Needless to say, the umbrella like shade made it much cooler in his house that you almost had to use blankets in the main room. Total cost fer the big roll of shade was about $30...6' wide by 20' long. I only used about $15 worth fer the condenser unit. It's that sun shade stuff you put over yer patio...usually in green, black, or ivory. You can even buy it in bulk, too! I even put some on some of the windows that were facing the sun. Key point is to keep the heat out of the house in the first place, right? That kept that bedroom temp stable as it would always feel like a furnace when you went in there.

What do you think?

Old 01-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #80 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Installed. I'll see how it goes when it warms up a bit here.

From online sources (and I live in an area where A/C is practically year round):

Remember the Quartet For Indoor Comfort:

• Air temperature (heating & cooling)
• Air movement (circulation, ventilation and filtration)
• Mean Radiant Temperature (building envelope with good insulation and glazing)
• Relative Humidity (tight building envelope)

"The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install."

E-BOOK ($69 w/survey coupon) MIKE NEWBERRY
How To Repair Air Conditioners

Condenser Concerns

Here's a good study on A/C shading. Shading's not as helpful as common sense would make you think..Note the surprising volume of air a system moves through the condenser. No wonder shading can be problematic in regards to minimizing re-ingestion of hot air by the unit.

FSEC-PF-302-96

Obstruction of air flow of the condensing unit:

• Refrain from the urge to build a shed, frame or cover for the condensing unit. It is designed to be able to withstand the elements of the outdoors and must be allowed to "breathe" properly. A minimum of five feet of totally free air space is necessary for the fan's exhausted air before it should encounter any objects.

• Don't forget that foliage will also obstruct the air coming into the condenser.

• Additionally, be mindful that the best ventilation of the air around the unit will be more efficient. If hot summer exhausted air is bounced off anything and is allowed to recirculate into the unit, the temperature of the unit is increased dramatically and your operating cost will be higher for it and the life of the unit will be shortened

Misters on the condenser can help but not many areas have good enough water quality not to cause damage over the long term from scale buildup or corrosion. Here in central FL there is a premium condenser spec that is used for beachside installs...special coils made to withstand salt air corrosion. Also hear some AC pros warn about compressor damage from liquid entering compressor because the coils were over-cooled during certain ambient temperatures, but this may be anecdotal.

Grass clippings, dog hair and dryer lint are murder on efficiency. I'd build a hard apron around that unit before anything else (rock, etc, that can be blown clear and keeps animals away!).

Let me share a little-known fact about dogs and the condenser coil fins.

• These fins are made of aluminum and the urine of male dogs will react as a strong alkali on that area of the fins and they will powder-up, crumble and fall off the unit. You end up with a huge hole in the condenser coils or an area of dead aluminum mass that will either pass unused air or will be too dense a mass of gunk to pass any air through that area of damaged fins. Needless to say, this is bad.

• Animals should not be allowed within ten feet of the condensers. Dogs love to lay in the moving air of the intake of the unit and the fins of the coil fill solid with their hair and cost you money. It is nearly impossible to get out of the coil.

A Watersaber would be a better expenditure of money. A good cleaning trumps gimmicks, overall.

You might also look into a 5-2-1 Hard Start Kit for the compressor (see YouTube video). Investigate.

Add the following to your unit which it should have had from the factory (to run more efficiently for all conditions):

A] Low pressure cut out CO=40psi and CI=80psi,
B] Anti-restart timer 3-5 minutes,
C] High pressure cut out manual reset,
D] Crank-case heater if a reciprocating compressor,
E] Expansion valve AND sight glass (see below),
F] Head pressure controller if you are going to operate the system when it is cold outside.

If you make all these modifications then you can run your system continuously with out hurting anything. note: no ice will form on the coil and you will have to make sure the system is properly charged. But if you want the house to be a "meat locker" because you sleep during the day or have health problems then add the above items and "freeze your self out". A larger coil (than normally spec'd for the unit) will make a huge difference too.

HVAC Performance

The A/C Enhancer

Enhances the Efficiency and Dehumidification Capacity of your existing Central Air Conditioning System.

The Standard Un-Enhanced System:
*The most inefficient time in the operation of an air conditioning system is the start-up time.* The more the system starts and stops the less efficient it will be.* For the average system it takes between 8 to 10 minutes of operation for the system to reach its peak operating efficiency and its peak dehumidification capacity.* The other problem is when the air conditioner stops the inside coil is saturated with moisture.* Some of this moisture runs off, but a lot of it stays on the coil, up to 3 gallons on some new high efficiency coils.* When the air conditioner comes back on and the fan starts blowing the warm air across this warm coil, the moisture is blown off the coil back into the house.* It then takes about 8 minutes of operation to get the coil cold and moist to start the dehumidification process.* This is very inefficient.* Some variable speed units have come out with what they call an enhanced mode that runs the blower at a reduced speed for 8 ½ minutes every time the system starts.* This time is not adjustable and in humid climates will cause the unit, ductwork, and grilles to condense water and sweat.*
*This is unacceptable.

The AC-EnhancerTM is the Solution to the problems of the Un-Enhanced System.

*How It Works:
The AC-EnhancerTM allows the condensing unit to cool the inside evaporator coil below the dew point temperature before the blower is brought on.* This allows the coil to start dehumidifying the air before the blower comes on.* With the coil pre-cooled it reduces the “blow-off” of moisture, thus reducing the time it takes the system to start the dehumidification process and increasing the overall dehumidification capacity of the system.* The compressor is allowed to start with a reduced load so that it can reach its peak efficiency faster.*

The AC-EnhancerTM *then brings the blower on at a reduced speed to allow the compressor to increase its load at a controlled rate before bringing the blower up to its full speed.* This allows the system to get up to its peak capacity and efficiency in 2 minutes or less and will not cause sweating of the system, ducts, or grilles.*

Why Don’t the Manufacturers Do this?

*The AC-EnhancerTM *increases the overall delivered efficiency and dehumidification capacity of the air conditioning system.* The manufacturer’s SEER ratings of the equipment are based on a unit in a laboratory environment with continuous run time.* They do not measure start-up inefficiencies when rating the equipment.* Therefore, the manufacturers would not gain any SEER rating increase, but the homeowner can benefit greatly with this technology

(See Powerpoint presentation):

Aeroseal

If $30 of every $100 on your summer A/C bill is going into the attic . . . .

HEAT RECOVERY

If you are in a hotter area like Florida or Texas, consider a heat recovery unit for free hot water and further A/C efficiency increase. A $30-$50 monthly saving is average for electric water units. (Gas water heaters take longer, but they'll pay for themselves and the HVAC will work easier & longer). The longer the cooling season, the faster the payout.

(See JSMENEEN site, above)

Trevor-Martin Corporation

http://www.p2pays.org/ref/11/10104.pdf

Enviro-Pak Home

http://www.achrnews.com/copyright/BN...536?view=print

How can hot water heat recovery air conditioning reduce your power bill?

These units have been around for decades and kick solar hot water to the curb every time in hotter climates.

Reply  Post New Thread