Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2022, 11:32 AM   #41 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Have some gold $20dollar eagles because they are untaxed at redemption, don't need id, so whomever is the manager of the estate has a not impoundable cash probate fund. Don't care what they return, or if they make a profit /loss but they did double since I bought them.

Why is freebeard looking to hoard specie? My gold dealer does a time payment plan, suspect others do also.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-11-2022, 12:31 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
Why is freebeard looking to hoard specie?
Diversification. Don't want all my savings in ammo and beans.

Old 10-11-2022, 01:00 PM   #43 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Ammo is probably the most useful and tradable item. Seems it should always win in the gold vs ammo decision process. Probably good to invest in ammo reloading tools.

Honey keeps indefinitely. I'd add dry rice to the dry beans cache.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 10-11-2022, 01:26 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There is the problem that the most fungible calibers are of no use to me. I'd expect those to be 9mm and 5.56x45.

I'm invested in 22 rimfire and 5.7x28.

Beans n' rice; of course.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:15 PM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Actually, my favorite way of saving is an amber pharmaceutical vial filled with quarters. Filled until it doesn't rattle when you shake it is $14.00. An ammo can holds about three lays of six or 36x14 or [counts on fingers] more than $500.

But.... I guess if the Federal Reserve Note fails, it takes the coinage authorized to be minted by Congress down with it.

Old 10-11-2022, 03:02 PM   #46 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Have some gold $20dollar eagles because they are untaxed at redemption, don't need id, so whomever is the manager of the estate has a not impoundable cash probate fund. Don't care what they return, or if they make a profit /loss but they did double since I bought them.

Why is freebeard looking to hoard specie? My gold dealer does a time payment plan, suspect others do also.
Taxes shouldn't be an issue unless you have an estate worth more than $5.5 million (double that if you are married)

Gold coins or a pile of cash - it doesn't matter which - it is illegal for the executer of your estate to touch that money until the estate is settled. My parents just went through this when my aunt passed earlier this year. My father had power of attorney and access to all my aunt's accounts right up until the second she passed - then they were locked. My parents ended up paying funeral costs and costs to settle the estate out of pocket which took 4 months.

The estate attorney said this was pretty common and recommend putting the executer of the estate as a joint owner on a bank account. The money in that account passes to the executer outside of the estate upon death. (Legally it is their money before death but I doubt most people worry about the executer of their estate stealing from them). My parents and my in-laws have done that so we should be set when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
There is the problem that the most fungible calibers are of no use to me. I'd expect those to be 9mm and 5.56x45.

I'm invested in 22 rimfire and 5.7x28.
What is 22LR selling for these days? I haven't payed attention for a few years but for awhile it was selling for crazy amounts. I have about 5,000 rounds to liquidate as we get ready to go mobile.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (10-11-2022), Xist (10-15-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 04:14 PM   #47 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
What is 22LR selling for these days? I haven't payed attention for a few years but for awhile it was selling for crazy amounts. I have about 5,000 rounds to liquidate as we get ready to go mobile.
Swing by my parents in Salem on your way out and I'm sure my dad would purchase.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 10-12-2022, 09:49 AM   #48 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
We are a semi corporation, just the officers change on any incapacitation so there's not an estate, no probate. Neighbor next door died, same process same lawyer. It was easy and smooth but not effortless.

Duly noted about another bank account in executors name.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:08 AM   #49 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
We are a semi corporation, just the officers change on any incapacitation so there's not an estate, no probate. Neighbor next door died, same process same lawyer. It was easy and smooth but not effortless.

Yes, a separate account that is set up for that purpose. I forget that lots of people only have one savings and one checking account and many don't have a bank account at all.

My parents were out of pocket about $11K for a basic funeral and another $10K for expenses between my aunts death and the estate settling. (Utilities on the house, repairs to get it ready to sell, etc)

After a series of deaths on both sides of the family both my parents and in-laws are done with the death industrial complex. They don't want a funeral, just the cheapest cremation and a small family get-together. My mother-in-law doesn't even want a death notice. She says the people that need to know she died will know.
Old 10-13-2022, 03:44 PM   #50 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
When the person dies half of the value of that account will belong to the estate and half to the cosigned individual, for tax purposes. Said individual will owe state inheritance tax (check your state) on the half assigned to them. We did this with my mother. When she passed the entire account balance was still available to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
My parents were out of pocket about $11K for a basic funeral and another $10K for expenses between my aunts death and the estate settling. (Utilities on the house, repairs to get it ready to sell, etc)
They should have been able to bill the estate for legitimate expenses.

Quote:
My mother-in-law doesn't even want a death notice. She says the people that need to know she died will know.
There are legal requirements regarding notification of death. It's cute to not want to tell anyone, but probably illegal.

Reply  Post New Thread