Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Cevic - '09 Honda Civic DX-G, coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 39.79 mpg (US)
Scangauge display closing when EOC, fueltype set to Hybrid

Hi,

I've been trying to beat my tank-to-tanks fuel economy since a month or two already, and now I would feel safe trying to engine off coast on some of the hills I get to travel during my commute. What I am noticing is that the display closes after a short time (closing with the key, then back to ON)

From what I've read, setting fuel type to Hybrid should keep the unit awake. I don't mind the display closing, but is the unit still computing the distance I travel ?

Am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
No, turning the key turns off the ScanGauge, and it can't record your distance. Turning the key backwards powers down lots of systems: the ECU, the OBD-II port, speedometer, turn signals, headlights, wipers, ABS, SRS. A fuel injector kill switch is the best way to kill your engine and keep your mpg logging accurate.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Set the fuel type to hybrid. If you are turning back ON, the SG will stay awake. That's the only difference the Hybrid setting makes. I think it should be the default. You will lose whatever distance you travel while the key is off, but that is small. If the SG display turns off, it is no longer calculating anything.

Fuel Type Gas: Scangauge powers down when the engine is not running, even with ignition on
Fuel Type Hybrid: Scangauge powers down only when the ignition is turned off

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 06-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
I've got the same problem: When in "Diesel" fuel mode it goes blank when EO(ff)C'ing, but when I switch to "Hybrid" it still shuts off, plus show totally wierd data when on. When EO(ff)C'ing the car's OEM fuel consumption computer doesn't register distance, even though it's on, but the electronic odometer in the dashboard does. I've learned to live with it.
If you want accurate distance logging, totally independent of anything else, you can try what a Swiss ecomodder did: He hooked up a bicycle speedometer sensor and magnet to one of the front wheels and calibrated it to be closer to true than the car's speedo/odo. I can never find the link, I know it's here somewhere...

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 06-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Like I said, the Hybrid setting should be default. The fact that you can't choose Hybrid-diesel is a big problem. It would only take a few likes of code to change that, too.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 07-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wildfire - '96 Ford Bronco XL
90 day: 14.88 mpg (US)

Blackford - '96 Ford Bronco XLT
90 day: 20.26 mpg (US)

Y2k - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 73.98 mpg (US)

Redford V10 - '01 Ford F250 Lariat
90 day: 15.64 mpg (US)

FireFly - '00 Honda Insight DX
90 day: 69.43 mpg (US)

LittleRed - '00 Honda Insight
Hybrid doesn't work either for me. If I turn the key off just long enough for the engine to quit when EOCing, then turn the key back on (in the run position), SGII will turn off after a few seconds. While still doing the same EOCing and hit any button on the SGII it will come back on for a few seconds then turn back off. I may try the fuel injector circuit interrupt and see if that works instead of turn the key off then back on. NOW I know what I can use that A/C button for!
Old 05-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Good news!
It appears that updating the ScanGauge's firmware gives a new option to keep it on during EOC. You can now keep your fuel type (no switching to 'Hybrid', unless that is your case). Here is what to do:
From the start screen press MORE, then cycle through the options until ADV SETTINGS, enter EDIT and cycle to SLEEP EVENT. By default this is set to 0 RPM, so the SGII shuts off when the engine stops. But if set to NO COM, then the ScanGauge should stay on during EOC. NO COM is default when in Hybrid fuel mode.
Warning: This may cause your ECU and SGII to stay on and drain the battery. Make sure that they turn off properly when you key off and leave the vehicle.

My SGII was recently upgraded (ver. 4.0.1 iirc) and I found this new option. It appears to work just fine, even though I have a diesel
+1 for LL

EDIT: In my SGII the SLEEP EVENT has a third option: VOLT. I can't find any info on this option, the SG manual only mentions 0 RPM and NO COM. Maybe it is for electric vehicles?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 05-15-2012 at 05:57 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
Daox (05-14-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread