Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2024, 06:13 PM   #621 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,818 Times in 7,275 Posts
Democrats projecting: Did Trump call Kackles a b*tch?

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com › watch?v=L6HlAo68mPA
Remember That One Time Kamala Harris Said She's A '***** ... - YouTube
Kamala Harris says there is a fine line for a woman to be tough, or a *****. For once, and this will be the last time, I agree....
edit: Women initiate 90% of marriage failures:

Quote:
https://www.bibleref.com › Proverbs › 21 › Proverbs-21-19.html
What does Proverbs 21:19 mean? | BibleRef.com
Proverbs 21:19. ESV It is better to live in a desert land than with a quarrelsome and fretful woman. NIV Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and nagging wife. NASB It is better to live in a desert land Than with a contentious and irritating woman. CSB Better to live in a wilderness than with a

Last edited by freebeard; 08-10-2024 at 06:33 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-11-2024, 06:16 PM   #622 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD

Van - '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Thanked 4,458 Times in 3,424 Posts
I found the source of Scott's mention of Mark Cubin, which was a discussion with Vivak Ramaswamy. Mark is known as having placed a risky bet against the dotcom bubble at just the right time, and getting a yuuge payout.

Vivek seemed to miss opportunities to frame things in a way that optimally explains his position, which is uncharacteristic. That might just be my bias of finding philosophy compelling, while most people respond to anecdotes.

The example of Mark winning yuuge when everyone else lost primed me to notice his motivation for supporting DEI (pronounced Die). In practically any situation in which a roughly binary outcome will occur (x will do better or x will do worse, x will do better than y), profit can be made by correctly betting on the outcome, regardless if the outcome is generally positive or not.

What became apparent to me is that Mark owns significant portions of Big Business. Large corporations are motivated to support heavy regulation, for instance, because HairMart can pass the cost of required certifications, inspections, and insurance along to the customer while pushing Betty's Hair Service out of business.

In the Vietnam war of DEI, Mark has bet on the Vietcong instead of the South Vietnamese. By getting first dibs on the "diversity" talent pool and then pushing for compulsion by everyone else, he's shorting meritocracy while positioned to gain from this failure.

I respect placing a bet against any particular thing, but not while simultaneously influencing the outcome, especially when it requires compromising functional values and systems.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it" - Upton Sinclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
edit: Women initiate 90% of marriage failures:
As Scott would say, the system determines outcome. If the system creates incentives for certain behavior, with little to no disincentive, then you will see more of that behavior. You think those in favor of equity over equality are going to pick this discrepancy in divorce initiation up, demanding social unrest until people identifying as men initiate 50% of the divorces?

Quote:
'Hate speech' = hypnosis? I'm not sure I get it.
I meant to clarify. The right broadly defends 1st amendment freedom of speech to include equating a political figure to Hitler, and creating a fantasy narrative of the end of democracy should that figure represent 1/3rd of the federal government. Such rhetoric is surely a catalyst for people with poor mental health to act violently and tragically. Despite all that, the juice is worth the squeeze to those who see the value of the 1st amendment.

As an aside, the rest of the West is broadly deciding that the juice is not worth the squeeze, and they appear to be nations in decline. I wonder if intolerance for diversity of opinion, and decline, are related somehow.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 08-12-2024 at 01:43 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-11-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 03:41 PM   #623 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The paywalled cartoonist gaslights everyone about the Stanford Marshmallow Experiment. The claim is there was one 'free' marshmallow and taking it didn't result in any punishment.

Quote:
Stanford marshmallow experiment
The Stanford marshmallow experiment was a study on delayed gratification in 1970 led by psychologist Walter Mischel, a professor at Stanford University. In this study, a child was offered a choice between one small but immediate reward, or two small rewards if they waited for a period of time. Wikipedia
Good thing he doesn't experience embarrassment.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 06:38 PM   #624 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
The paywalled cartoonist gaslights everyone about the Stanford Marshmallow Experiment. The claim is there was one 'free' marshmallow and taking it didn't result in any punishment.

Good thing he doesn't experience embarrassment.
I wouldn't characterize his being underinformed as gaslighting exactly, but that was the topic I took the most exception to. Most advances are borne by some form of delayed gratification, and it stands to reason that people willing to endure temporary austerity have accumulated resources that can be leveraged for the future.

His other recent topic that grates on reason is conjuring up a new currency as a means of alleviating national debt, which makes me question his understanding of his economics background in ways that make me question AOC's degree in economics.

Assigning value to a new crypto currency doesn't relieve the debt obligations of the previous currency, unless we decide it's ok to rob debt holders of their delayed gratification investment of owning debt which has an agreed upon value.

People are susceptible to view money as some mysterious thing that contains value, when in reality it is a placeholder for value. If someone is paid to build a fence, and they never build the fence, then no value has been created and the payment is fraudulent. On the other hand, if someone builds a fence and then receives no payment, then the value they have added has no representation and is fraudulent.

A robust currency closely represents the value one has contributed, and is not printed at will, or debased in other ways. Debasement is theft, and there is no other way to view it. Anyone purposely debasing currency is more morally reprehensible than a pick-pocket, yet it is legal.

freebeard (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 07:49 PM   #625 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I wouldn't characterize his being underinformed as gaslighting exactly
Mis- dis- or mal-information?

The new currency has existed since 2008's white paper from Satoshi Nakamoto.

National Debt is $35T, of which $6T is held by the Federal Reserve. Control of currency was ceded to the Fed, but Congress still controls coinage. That's why I support Congress minting a platinum coin the size of a medium pizza, valuing it at $6T and handing it to the Federal Reserve --and then taking it out behind the shed and shooting it.

In other news:
Quote:
Asteroid Mining | Ami Exploration
The AMi Exploration Program's first asteroid mining mission will aim to return 1,000 kg of platinum. At current prices of around $34,000 per kilogram, that payload would convert into $34,000,000. However, the Recovery Capsule return capacity is up to 2,500 kg, which would be worth $85,000,000.
They're associated to ARCA space:
Quote:
ECOROCKET | arcaspace
EcoRocket Heavy is an ecological, reusable, unprecedentedly low-cost rocket, able to launch 24. tons to LEO. ARCA will use this rocket for the AMi Exploration, asteroid mining program. EcoRocket Heavy will use the EcoRocket Demonstrator's uprated first stage as a Propulsion Module (PM), which is an
Their current focus is missile counterbatteries:
The A1 anti missile interceptor is specifically designed to provide protection to high value assets
Quote:
The development of the A1 product is in line with ARCA's policy of producing exclusively defensive, non-lethal weapons, with the proceeds being allocated to the development of the civilian AMi Exploration and EcoRocket programs.

redpoint5 (08-16-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 02:06 AM   #626 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Mis- dis- or mal-information?
Asking about how he was victimized, or how he creates victims?

Quote:
The new currency has existed since 2008's white paper from Satoshi Nakamoto.
It's not a currency because it possesses none of the characteristics of one. Think of it more as an NFT than anything else.

That's not to say digital distributed ledger currencies won't be a thing someday, only that Bitcoin is for sure not it.

Old 08-17-2024, 02:46 AM   #627 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Asking about how he was victimized, or how he creates victims?
What he said.

Quote:
Is Bitcoin an Investment or a Currency ? - Decrypt
On a global scale, thanks to Bitcoin's growth in value, it satisfies the criteria that the currency can be a Store of Value. As a currency. Bitcoin's original purpose - as laid out in the original paper published by Satoshi Nakamoto was to be a decentralised payment method.
NFTs are a [derivative?] {derivation?] of the blockchain:
Quote:
Non-fungible token - Wikipedia
Non-fungible token. A non-fungible token ( NFT) is a unique digital identifier that is recorded on a blockchain and is used to certify ownership and authenticity. It cannot be copied, substituted, or subdivided. [ 1] The ownership of an NFT is recorded in the blockchain and can be transferred by the

Old 08-17-2024, 02:02 PM   #628 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
NFTs are a [derivative?] {derivation?] of the blockchain:
Right, which also have the same sporadic changes in perceived value, with the ultimate value returning to zero in the not so distant future.

A good currency needs a stable value, it needs to not cost $75 per transaction in electricity, it needs the ability to scale the volume of transactions, and it needs the ability to expand in quantity as economies grow. All people supporting Bitcoin are shilling in the hope for a short-term profit, or don't understand what it is.

There will be a digital currency, probably containing design elements of Bitcoin, but it will not be Bitcoin.

freebeard (08-17-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 03:10 PM   #629 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Searching Ecomodder today for 'Scott Adams' returned no results. I had to search for threads started by me, which are relatively few.

Today Scott mentioned that the ROI on cannibalism is excellent, especially when you simply proclaim it as fact, and present no cost/benefit analysis.

When not spoken in an economics context, it's a catch-phrase meant to get people to "think past the sale". Why wouldn't you participate in cannibalism considering the ROI is so positive? It's a fantastic hedge against unprecedented cost increases for groceries.

Old 08-19-2024, 05:15 PM   #630 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Searching Ecomodder today for 'Scott Adams' returned no results. I had to search for threads started by me, which are relatively few.
I've been trying to find a post I made in 2024-01. The [Google] search function maxes out at 500 posts.

redpoint5 (08-19-2024)
Reply  Post New Thread