Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2022, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Scott Adams Thread (Garfield Cartoonist)

At freebeard's suggestion, here's the Scott Adams thread. Scott has a daily Youtube show called Real Coffee with Scott Adams that begins at 7am PST.

The show talks about current events, offers non-expert ideas for solutions, and makes predictions, later circling back to see how well those predictions turned out.

The episodes that stood out enough for me to give a thumbs up are 1861, 1817, 1794, 1415, 1016, and 799.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I was thinking a few minutes ago that we need a Scott Adams thread. Because I was disagreeing....
?t=1185
But then he said that the USofA and Russia could bond over Outer Space.
?t=1737
I had a college professor in the 1960s speculating that in the future we might see politics being driven by the Strategic Air Command and the Soviet's air force colluding. Now here we are with Roscosmos and NASA bonding over [countering China in] Outer Space.
First link talks about the Spiderman burden, that if you see a problem and you're the only one that can solve it, you kinda don't have a choice. freebeard needs to expound on his disagreement here.

Second link talks about an alliance with Russian in space as a way to cool US/Russian tensions.

Regarding the Spiderman discussion, this is how most of the ultra wealthy go from having humble beginnings, to dominating an industry. You see a problem that isn't being addressed sufficiently, and then you solve it. You see a need for regular folks to be able to send and receive money online, and you invent Paypal. You see the potential for EVs to become the fun and cost effective form of transportation, and you build an EV company. You start off selling used books from your house, and then you sell every product there is online.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 10-12-2022 at 02:38 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Dodge 1996 4x4 Dan (01-02-2023)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-10-2022, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
I rather discuss the second part, but -- oh well....

I reached back too far. I agree Elon Musk is uniquely positioned to bring the two sides together.
?t=1320
I believe I mentioned the constant straw-manning. He picks an arbitrary starting point for the 'movie in three acts' in 2022 instead of 2014.

But, boy howdy, is Space ever a high-ground maneuver.
Quote:
(Garfield Cartoonist)
I see what you did there. Dogbert cartoonist.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
I rather discuss the second part, but -- oh well....

I reached back too far. I agree Elon Musk is uniquely positioned to bring the two sides together.
?t=1320
I believe I mentioned the constant straw-manning. He picks an arbitrary starting point for the 'movie in three acts' in 2022 instead of 2014.

But, boy howdy, is Space ever a high-ground maneuver.

I see what you did there. Dogbert cartoonist.
As evidenced by my behavior in all other threads, I consider this a public forum where anyone can discuss anything they want, inspired either by the OP, or any conversation that occurs after.

I don't see relations improving with Russia until Putin is dead, and the Russians abandon more of their corrupt holdover ideas from the Soviet era. That might just mean folks of Putin's vintage passing on.

I also see war and conflict becoming less commonplace as technology continues to deliver abundance. When nations can power themselves, and resources can be mined locally, and products built locally, micro economies can begin to exist within the broader global market.

Cracking the next levels of automation and producing cheap electricity locally will result in unimaginable abundance, and should reduce the temptation to seek these ends violently.

Space- inevitably is a collaborative project. I don't see it as a way to reconcile conflict on the ground though.

Old 10-10-2022, 06:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I don't see relations improving with Russia until Putin is dead, and the Russians abandon more of their corrupt holdover ideas from the Soviet era. That might just mean folks of Putin's vintage passing on.
The Soviet era is living rent-free in your head.

When Elon Musk claimed first-mover status on peace the Russians were receptive, and Zelensky freaked out.

As I understand it, it was a Polish count or Prince playing both sides that precipitated WWII. We dodged WWIII when the Polish request to have and hold American nukes was denied.

So. do you follow Natalie and Clayton Morris on Redacted? Here's what they have to say today about what is going on. It has begun, Putin unleashes CRUSHING attack on Ukraine | Redacted with Clayton Morris

No nukes required. Ukraine has entered the '...and find out' phase.

Old 10-10-2022, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Geography and history are not areas of much interest for me. I'm just going by what I generally know; that Putin hails from the KGB era of Soviet history, and that Oligarchs were part of what remained in place when communism gave way.

Just seems crazy they have so much land and I assume resources, yet live like thugs. Russians should have abundant wealth but instead they allow corruption to get in the way.

I don't listen to Redacted. I'm sure Musk has given a lot of study to the current situation and has reasonable ideas.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Back before the decades of Bolshevik oppression there was Greater Tartartia. It's fascinating for me. The deeper currents of history and all.

Where from here?
China’s Communist Power Struggle Breakdown | Xi Jinping vs Jiang Zemin

Is Skynet watching you already?

Why Everyone Needs An AR-15
The problem with watching Scott Adams live at 7AM Pacific time is he's best at 1.75x.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I normally listen at 1.25x. Occasionally I'll tune in live if I want to comment, but usually I don't because he encourages Shi7posting by reading all the dumb stuff and reacting. Maybe if he'd leave it alone, we wouldn't be subjected to a constant stream of garbage chatter.

The topic that most intrigued me was how fairness is an illusion, and we arbitrarily define categories in which we say there is fair competition. We would say it is fair if Mike Tyson and I are in a boxing competition because he is an adult male, and I am an adult male. There's nothing "fair" about the advantages Mike has in a ring compared to me.

While Scott is successful in dismantling the illusion of fairness, I don't think that's reason to abandon the categories of competition we have created, like actual women competing against actual other women.

Here's my favorite talk so far at about the 16min mark.
https://youtu.be/XEHHMIX9T4Q?t=992

Last edited by redpoint5; 02-26-2023 at 11:23 PM..
Old 10-10-2022, 08:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

He doesn't really care, he's just shaking the box? Is there more after that?

I recommend the third link. Civilian arms have always been superior. The brown rifle (wood stock, internal clip, bolt action) is a weapon of war while a black rifle (external clip, pistol grip, adjustable stock) is civilian. Politicians say just the opposite. Why is that?

Old 10-10-2022, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
He doesn't really care, he's just shaking the box? Is there more after that?

I recommend the third link. Civilian arms have always been superior. The brown rifle (wood stock, internal clip, bolt action) is a weapon of war while a black rifle (external clip, pistol grip, adjustable stock) is civilian. Politicians say just the opposite. Why is that?
Yeah, he does start off saying just that, little care of sports in general. The interesting part is how he takes a listener on a persuasive journey. It's a magic trick performed live, where each element of the trick is fully explained.

Regarding politicians, they employ fear by any means necessary to achieve their own ends; usually to increase their authority, power and wealth by getting the fearful to willingly surrender their sovereignty and dignity in exchange for the facade of safety.

Creating an imaginary fear and then solving it in the imagination of others is the simplest trick in the book of manipulation. To tie this in with the SA episode above, he begins by saying he will persuade by starting at a point of agreement, and building upon that initial foundation of agreement. You can start with something everyone agrees, that a rifle painted black is capable of being used to kill others, and then you can go from there either following a coherent line of reasoning, or deceiving people.

Last edited by redpoint5; 10-10-2022 at 08:53 PM..
Old 10-10-2022, 09:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Creating an imaginary fear and then solving it in the imagination of others is the simplest trick in the book of manipulation.
The term of art is Hegelian Dialectic

Original argument pro:
Quote:
https://christianobserver.net › what-is-the-hegelian-dialectic
What is The HEGELIAN DIALECTIC? - Christian Observer
The Hegelian dialectic is the ridiculous idea that constant conflict and continual merging of opposite ideologies, as established by extreme right or left belief systems, will lead spiritual mankind into final perfection. (Americans understood man's spiritual quests to be outside the realm of government control).
Modern argument against:
Quote:
https://areweallreallyeducated.com › hegelian-dialectic
Hegelian Dialectic: What It Is & How Does It Apply To You?
Hegelian dialectic is 'PROBLEM-REACTION-SOLUTION' and how it works is like this: The government creates or exploits a problem in which attributes blame to others. The people react by asking the govt for protecton and help (safety and security) to help solve the problem.
The problem is manufactured, the solution steers the herd to fleecing. Or worse.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (10-10-2022)
Reply  Post New Thread