Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: germany
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
searching for new vehicle

hi!

I am currently driving a Renault Twizy. My hopes concerning efficient transportation have been dissapointed so i need a new vehicle.
I have had the twizy now for 15 month and drove 27.000 km. I paid for "fuel" (=electricity) less than 100 €, but the other costs are just too high. The brakes get worn out too fast and so do the tires. The twizy has a lot of issues and has to go.

I read about the Honda Innova and Honda Wave and got really excited. Less than 2 L/100 km petrol, 2000 € new buying price, low insurance costs.
My girlfriend and i travel a lot and i dont know if that is possible with such a vehicle. We did two europe-trips with my twizy (from Germany to Great Britain and France) so little space and problematical weather conditions are not bothering us. But we have to carry some luggage (tent, sleeping bags etc). How much luggage could you fit on a Honda Wave?
I also thought about buying two Waves, but two will consume the same fuel of a little car.

A VW Up! Ecofuel or Mii CNG/Citigo CNG would be great but with 10.000 € its too expensive. Also a regular Up! or a Mitsubishi Space Star would fit, but they are also too expensive. The benefits of a car would be that we could sleep in it, would be safe from rain etc and could travel more comfortable.

Maybe you have some suggestions about a suitable vehicle. Some efficient vehicle between Wave and Space Star.

I nearly went to the next Honda dealer today to buy a Wave. I was so excited to be able to drive with 300 € for fuel to China.


greetings from Germany,
peak


Last edited by peak_me; 11-29-2013 at 03:14 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 11-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
euromodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 4,666

GasDwarf - '13 Volkswagen up! EcoFuel CNG
Thanks: 176
Thanked 641 Times in 508 Posts
Willkommen to ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak_me View Post
The twizy has a lot of issues and has to go.
Sorry to hear that.

Quote:
I read about the Honda Innova and Honda Wave and got really excited. Less than 2 L/100 km petrol, 2000 € new buying price, low insurance costs.
You might consider the SH (Mode) 125 or CBF125 as well.

The benefit of the CBF is that it's a manual shift bike rather than an automatic scooter.
You could change the gearing if you want to.


Another bike that's been pretty solid from what I've heard is the Suzuki TU250 Volty - also came in 125cc versions - it's been around a while, so you should be able to pick one up cheap on the 2nd hand market.


Quote:
My girlfriend and i travel a lot and i dont know if that is possible with such a vehicle.
Way back in time, people used small-displacement motorcycles the way we use heavy motorcycles now.
A 350 cc once was a big engine ... a long time ago.

But 2-up + luggage, is going to put some strain on the bike.
Then again, if you see what they do with them in south east Asia, they can take a lot of abuse.

Quote:
A VW Up! Ecofuel or Mii CNG/Citigo CNG would be great but with 10.000 € its too expensive.
They're cheap on fuel though.
The Seat is the cheapest to buy.

If I had to pay for all the fuel - I've gotten a 500 euro Gutschein from a CNG supplier when I bought the up! and you can get even better bonuses in Germany - I'd be paying around 3,2 euro/100km.

If you get 2L from the Honda, you'll pay about as much for fuel as petrol is far more expensive.

If you took the same roads you'd be realistically limited to with a 110/125cc bike 2 passengers + luggage, you'd be on the roads the up/mii/citigo likes best: Landesstraßen.

165 or 175 14" tyres are dead cheap too - a lot cheaper in the long run than bike tyres.


Quote:
The benefits of a car would be that we could sleep in it, would be safe from rain etc and could travel more comfortable.
The VAG trio is quite spacious for what it is.
This little puppy still surprises me.
__________________
GasDwarf's fuel consumption :
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: germany
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
But 2-up + luggage, is going to put some strain on the bike.
That's true but they are dead cheap. I am thinking about buying two, that would give more space for luggage.

Quote:
If you get 2L from the Honda, you'll pay about as much for fuel as petrol is far more expensive.
true! But the loss in value per km is less with the motorcycle. And the insurance is ridiculously higher with a car. I would insure a used old car only with basic liability and that would cost me around 1000 € per year. The rates for a new car are lower, but it had to be insured fully insured with a comprehensive cover. So insurance for a car would cost me per year as much as a used bike.

What i am looking for is a twizy-like car with a combustion engine. I could buy an isetta but it doesnt have an up to date fuel-consumption.
Arent there any Velomobiles with a little petrol engine? I am sure you could get a consumption of less than 1 L/100 km with that.

The CUB-bikes are very tempting. Just put 2000 € on the table and off you go. But you cant sleep in it
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 8,118
Thanks: 0
Thanked 881 Times in 781 Posts
If you're considering to take road trips with a considerable amount of luggage, anything under 250cc would probably not be so suitable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: germany
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
If you're considering to take road trips with a considerable amount of luggage, anything under 250cc would probably not be so suitable.
In terms of comfort or of efficiency?

I had some other ideas. Cant you take a go-kart and put a velomobile-like cover on it? Or are there already stock-go-karts with a consumption of 2 L/100 km?
I also came across this: Elio 3-wheeler discussion thread
That's the type of vehicle i am looking for.

PS:
cant link the elio-thread
"To be able to post links or images your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 2 posts."
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 8,118
Thanks: 0
Thanked 881 Times in 781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peak_me View Post
In terms of comfort or of efficiency?
A 250cc motorcycle, at least for me, seems to offer a good balance between power for road trips while still retaining some respectable fuel-efficiency.


Quote:
Cant you take a go-kart and put a velomobile-like cover on it?
That's also possible.


Quote:
I also came across this: Elio 3-wheeler discussion thread
That's the type of vehicle i am looking for.
I'm also very favorable to tricycles. I'd love to get a Piaggio Ape.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Jyden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Denmark, Europe
Posts: 338

Enduro E-bike - '11 PowerPedals Enduro
90 day: 2236 mpg (US)

Jota - '14 Toyota Yaris Hybrid H1
90 day: 53.11 mpg (US)
Thanks: 138
Thanked 42 Times in 35 Posts
How about a Smart for Two - 2. hand? Should be possible to find a used one to reasonable money?
__________________
My Yaris Hybrid thread:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...s-c-27995.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: germany
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
A 250cc motorcycle, at least for me, seems to offer a good balance between power for road trips while still retaining some respectable fuel-efficiency.
The power is not a problem at all. 6,4 kW of the Honda Wave are fine.

Quote:
I'm also very favorable to tricycles. I'd love to get a Piaggio Ape.
T thought about that too, but the consumption is the same as a small car.

Quote:
How about a Smart for Two - 2. hand? Should be possible to find a used one to reasonable money?
Surprisingly there are a lot cheap uses Smarts for sale. You could get a nice one for 2000 €. But the best you can get with a petrol version is 4 L/100 km and with diesel 3 L/100 km. With a Aygo or similar vehicle i can get the same consumption, but i can tilt the seats and can sleep in the car.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 8,118
Thanks: 0
Thanked 881 Times in 781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peak_me View Post
Surprisingly there are a lot cheap uses Smarts for sale. You could get a nice one for 2000 €. But the best you can get with a petrol version is 4 L/100 km and with diesel 3 L/100 km. With a Aygo or similar vehicle i can get the same consumption, but i can tilt the seats and can sleep in the car.
I might tell you that I actually don't like the Smart, altough it's easy for parking it's too expensive for its size and capacities.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: germany
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
To be able to post links or images your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 4 posts.
sry, to post the image in the next post i have to create this annoying post

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com