Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2022, 03:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I replaced Mom's range hood--and broke the new one! :D

Her old one was filthy and she told me to clean it with dish soap and a nylon brush. I finally started removing the grease when the paint started coming off. I told Mom I could remove the grease and paint and repaint it, but she said to replace it.

I finally started following Popular Mechanics' used car inspection guide after seeing one whole client in Holbrook and I got all of the way to step 31/101 before it got dark.

I mowed the lawn and finally brought in the new fan.

The box says to absolutely positively have two people for installation.

Sure thing!

As soon as I reproduce by fission!

I swear it took an hour to get the new one to stay on the four screws and then I wired it.

Everything worked and I tried to replace the electrical panel in the vent.

Wires always seemed to be in the way and it was awkward to lean over the stove, which was still warm from Mom heating up dinner. I couldn't see without my crazy-bright headlamp, but then the batteries died--and then the last set.

Each time I tried to reinstall that panel wires were in the way and I couldn't see where the screw hole was.

Then the fan suddenly spun for a second.

The exposed wire ends were safely secured in wire nuts!

I finally reinstalled the panel and nothing worked.

It was a pain to twist them together. The original wire is thick and solid, while the new wires are thin and made of various strands.

I pulled on them to ensure they were properly connected, but somehow one came loose. I redid the nut and now the lights work, but not the fan!

Did I short its motor?!

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-23-2022, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Not Doug

I turned off the power while I was working, but turned it back on to test my work. The light and fan worked, but apparently I needed to turn off the power before reinstalling a metal cover.
It has bad wire management and it was extremely difficult to reinstall the cover because wires were always in the way.
I don't know how one got loose, but I guess it happened when I reinstalled the cover.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
So.... onward to bigger and better problems?

Old 10-23-2022, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Not Doug

I didn't want to do this. I really didn't want to do this.

...yet...

I installed the vent without researching anything or reading directions and I would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for those pesky kids!

[Removes mask]

It's me! Mario!

I need a nap.

This is the Samsung NK30B3000US range hood that I ordered. Curiously, when I clicked on my receipt it didn't link to it. When I searched for the model number it didn't show Lowe's, and they didn't show up when I went to Google Shopping, but when I clicked on Track my Order I got a link.

I know where my order is! I picked it up 3 months ago!

It costs $199, but with my Veteran's discount, I bought it for a $194.20 gift card--including $15.10 in tax.

Honey suggested buying a $194.20 gift card for $185.19, so it would have been $215.78 without discounts.

Best Buy shows up first, $180, but $267 shipped.

Why didn't I buy theirs?!

They say that GreenToe (?!) would ship it for $167, but I don't know how often that is right.

I need to create an account for science. Then the stupid site popped up saying "Name your price and we negotiate for me!"
For me?
"We're sad to see you go!"
I changed windows.
"Enter your e-mail so we can send you special offers."
GreenToe is a special name...

I gave them my temporary e-mail address and it sent a suspicious link.
That seems like why we have Tor, but I just removed the first redirect from the URL and opened it in a private tab, whatever good that does.

All of that code and it took me to the main page, which popped up saying "We're sad to see you go!"

Lame.

It just advertises Name Your Price.

I used the temp e-mail address to create an account and it says no taxes, shipping, or other fees, but it seems like they are dropshippers
Quote:
You are placing an offer on a brand-new product which includes a full Samsung USA warranty from a Samsung authorized retailer.
Quote:
Mr. MarrapodiÂ’s company, Greentoe.com, which has Silicon Valley venture capital money behind it, opened this year. It lets consumers submit offers on merchandise listed in five categories, including cameras, baby equipment, household appliances and home theater. The companyÂ’s software determines whether the offer is reasonable and sends it to a network of retailers that encompasses both big-box stores and small dealers. (All are vendors that are authorized by the brands.) If the merchant accepts the offer, it makes the transaction directly with the consumer.

James Myers of Walton, Ky., went to Greentoe.com to make an offer on a Panasonic 60-inch plasma TV with voice control that was priced at over $2,000 at many retailers. He offered $1,539. After a little haggling, he was able to buy it from one of GreentoeÂ’s retail partners for $1,749 (shipping included).

“I truly feel that the shopping landscape is going to change,” Mr. Marrapodi said. “It’s going to be much more driven by the consumer and ability to negotiate.”

In the coming year, Greentoe, which has more than 50 retail partners and 50,000 registered users, plans to add categories, including possibly exercise equipment, handbags and luggage.
New York Times: More Retailers See Haggling as a Price of Doing Business

I already bought it, but I may look into this the next time I buy something.

It also mentioned many stores price-matching, but they mentioned stores matching Amazon, while I have always been told they need to be physical stores, which is why I price-matched my no-spill funnel with a vendor on Home Depot.

SoureAssets supposedly ships it for $175.

I haven't heard of them.

When I clicked on Google Pay it says "Free shipping. $160."

Nordam Appliances shows up as the next best, but the $176 appliance automatically comes with a $170 extended warranty.

They don't ship.

Samsung says they have it for $179, but they won't ship it here.

So, I saved $30 over Lowe's full price, but now I can find it for less.

Fun.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Cash. Brick. Mortar.

$30 is about what I'd expect to pay at the recyclers or Goodwill/St. Vincent dePaul.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Not Doug

I wasn't trying to find a better price, but when I searched for the model number and parts I found stores selling the whole thing!

I replaced the part number with the description and still mostly got stores selling the whole thing.

Five stores advertised selling Samsung range hood parts, but they are filters, blowers, chimneys, and other accessories and paraphernalia.

Costco sells an Ancona 325 CFM range hood for $200.

This is 200 CFM.

The only site that actually sold parts was Samsung Parts USA and right away I see the range hood grease filter for $207 shipped.

I don't know what DG81-02239C Control is, but it is $345 before shipping and handing.

Would I ever break even if I bought 5 and sold them for parts?

There are only 12 parts and only 3 have pictures.

"DG81-02543A Motor Complete Assembly" sounds like it might be the complete motor assembly, but it says "$191.30," "This motor complete assembly is for microwave" and "Out of stock."

Hey, is that my old friend, Impending Sense of Doom?!

Sears Parts Direct will ship it for $290, so if I cannot fix it I will try to use the warranty.

If Samsung won't replace it I will buy the cheapest one I can, cut a piece of plywood to support the middle and a 4x4 to fit between it and a bottle jack, using the bottle jack to position the range hood, then tack in 1x1s to support each edge.

Then I could simply screw in the corners and wire it.

For the record, if you replace a range hood, if at all possible remove the stove first! It is ridiculously frustrating to try to lean over it!
Old 10-23-2022, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Not Doug

When I was first choosing a fan I kept finding standalone ones.

I don't know if we discussed this, but upper kitchen cabinets are out of style. That doesn't make any sense against a wall, but fashion never makes sense.

Someone ripped out the cabinets between my grandparents' old kitchen and their living room, which is great for talking with people in the other room without contorting oneself, but where shall you keep your cheese?! Word on the street is this is all well and good if you have a pantry, but would you rather walk back and forth to what is, in effect, another room, than simply opening cabinets at eye level?

What if you don't have a pantry?

Shall we knock out the corner of my brother's bedroom in order to put in one?

It just happens to be where he has his bed, but we can move that, or perhaps cut out a significant corner.

It would be a rare pantry with a window!

How fancy!

It would reduce the storage area and undoubtedly make it worse for the food we can fit in there, but we would feel special!

Or at least my brother would until he retires to his windowless room and attempts to sleep on the L-shaped remainder of his bed!

I had thought that everywhere I lived had a range hood that vented through an upper cabinet. There is less room in that cabinet, but Mom always stored cookbooks and stuff there.

It is still good for something.

It wasn't until I removed the old one that I realized it simply doesn't vent.

The silly thing merely recirculates and filters air.

When the pandemic first started I bought an air filter and figured that I would duct-tape it to my box fan if I got sick.

If there was a delay repairing or replacing Mom's range hood I could get my box fan out of storage, although I don't know that we need to catch viruses, so perhaps I would purchase a filter that would allow more airflow.
Old 10-25-2022, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Since we are talking kitchens - I finally ordered a new stove. On our old range the two front "burners" will randomly go to full power so we have to watch it like a hawk. (The stove recently destroyed a nice All-Clad deep skillet in about 5 minutes)

Nothing too fancy - it is a basic Samsung electric range with a glass top. On sale for $999 from Costco - delivered and installed.

Old 10-25-2022, 07:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Not Doug

I love my Samsung electronics, but I hope that you have better luck with Samsung appliances than we have!
Old 10-25-2022, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
This is our 3rd Samsung kitchen appliance and the last of the original appliances to be replaced. Our Samsung fridge has worked flawlessly for 7 years. The dishwasher is only about a year old but no problems yet.

We try to buy something in the low-mid range. Not the cheapest rental grade appliance but not something with a bunch of features we won't use and a computer chip that could power a Russian cruise missile.

Reply  Post New Thread