Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode
 
pgfpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,427

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 41.03 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 483 Times in 315 Posts
Cool they added some two-stroke oil to their fuel.LOL

__________________
Pressure Gradient Force
The Positive Side of the Number Line

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 10-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troy, Pa.
Posts: 8,919

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 430 Times in 353 Posts
NO, it's three-stroke oil. It's 1 better. Thanks, Shell!
__________________
"ʞɐǝɹɟ ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ uǝɥʍ 'ʇı ʇ,usı 'ʎlǝuol s,ʇı"

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Driving the TurboWeasel
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Steuben County, NY
Posts: 459
Thanks: 14
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
No, they just bought Marvel Mystery Oil and are adding it to every tanker going out to a station!
__________________
2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 6MT
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 595
Thanks: 106
Thanked 113 Times in 71 Posts
Just be glad Americans have easy access to marijuana, if they didn't we might be stuck using Opal Fuel like the poor Aussies have to use.

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/AF98167EED7118DCCA2574EF001C9D1F/$File/SWB%20Opal%20Report%20Final.pdf

" a slight reduction in vehicle performance; and
higher fuel consumption by 2-3% "
__________________
2005 Escape 2.3 MT 2WD
2002 Mustang 3.8 AT
2015 Ram 1500 5.7L 4WD
2002 Motobecane 700DS
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troy, Pa.
Posts: 8,919

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 430 Times in 353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99LeCouch View Post
No, they just bought Marvel Mystery Oil and are adding it to every tanker going out to a station!
LOL.. It's Marvelous! It's Mysterious! It's pretty much the same crap that's in petroleum-based paint thinners!!!!

(I use the stuff, though.)
__________________
"ʞɐǝɹɟ ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ uǝɥʍ 'ʇı ʇ,usı 'ʎlǝuol s,ʇı"

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Batman Junior
 
MetroMPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1000 Islands, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 21,641

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 53.78 mpg (US)

Winter beater Metro - '00 Chevrolet Metro
90 day: 61.98 mpg (US)

Fancy Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 58.72 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 66.29 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3,394
Thanked 6,200 Times in 3,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
we might be stuck using Opal Fuel like the poor Aussies have to use.
" a slight reduction in vehicle performance; and
higher fuel consumption by 2-3% "
Heck, we've got ethanol in our fuel to do the equivalent!
__________________
Latest mods: 3-cylinder Mitsubishi Mirage. EcoMods now in progress...
Ecodriving test:
Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown



EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SE US
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just buy ethanol-free gas. That's an immediate fuel-saving blend of 3.3%.

math...

ethanol contains 2/3 the energy of gasoline. Ethanol blends are generally about 10%. 2/3 * 10 = 6.66. Add back in the other 90% at 100% of gasoline's energy (which is exactly 100% because it is gasoline), and you get ~96.7... 100% - 96.7= 3.3333% That is your fuel efficiency loss per volume of pump fuel (no matter how much or little). So, just go back to 100% gasoline, and you get that back. That's what I do. It costs the same, too.

If you read carefully, that is theoretical based on energy in fuel, which is not the same as how much power you can get from the fuels in a gasoline engine. It just so happens, though, that tests have been done (extensively) and, in motorvehicle gasoline engines, those theoretical numbers match up to the tests very closely. And if you don't believe that after researching to find the test numbers, then just go try it yourself.

I highly doubt a 1% fuel efficiency boost is outside the margin of error. It says "up to" a number. That's statistics talk for "BS number." Up to means nothing. A statistically significant average different than original (when done properly) might have meaning. But I doubt those tests were ever done. Anyone want to take bets on whether it was a true double-blind study? lol

It's all BS.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe
 
ShadeTreeMech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 870

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Thanks: 174
Thanked 49 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
Cool they added some two-stroke oil to their fuel.LOL
That's how I read it
__________________
RIP Maxima 1997-2012


Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Hypermiler
 
PaleMelanesian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,313

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Thanks: 605
Thanked 422 Times in 277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Just buy ethanol-free gas. That's an immediate fuel-saving blend of 3.3%.

math...

ethanol contains 2/3 the energy of gasoline. Ethanol blends are generally about 10%. 2/3 * 10 = 6.66. Add back in the other 90% at 100% of gasoline's energy (which is exactly 100% because it is gasoline), and you get ~96.7... 100% - 96.7= 3.3333% That is your fuel efficiency loss per volume of pump fuel (no matter how much or little). So, just go back to 100% gasoline, and you get that back. That's what I do. It costs the same, too.

If you read carefully, that is theoretical based on energy in fuel, which is not the same as how much power you can get from the fuels in a gasoline engine. It just so happens, though, that tests have been done (extensively) and, in motorvehicle gasoline engines, those theoretical numbers match up to the tests very closely. And if you don't believe that after researching to find the test numbers, then just go try it yourself.

I highly doubt a 1% fuel efficiency boost is outside the margin of error. It says "up to" a number. That's statistics talk for "BS number." Up to means nothing. A statistically significant average different than original (when done properly) might have meaning. But I doubt those tests were ever done. Anyone want to take bets on whether it was a true double-blind study? lol

It's all BS.
Looking at the EPA ratings for flex-fuel vehicles bears this out. Their E85 mileage is on average 71% of the gas mileage. The energy content of E85 is about... 71% of gas alone.
__________________



11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: the Perimeter
Posts: 858

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Thanks: 426
Thanked 194 Times in 148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Just buy ethanol-free gas. That's an immediate fuel-saving blend of 3.3%.
Nice gas if you can get it. I can't find it around here at all anymore. They've all gone to 10% ethan-awful.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
smart cdi (diesel) owner from BC, Canada smartzuuk Introductions 29 09-06-2018 03:09 PM
Fuel Economy related papers tasdrouille General Efficiency Discussion 38 09-10-2017 12:48 AM
mileage computer for a carbureted engine diesel_john Instrumentation 221 05-01-2014 10:38 PM
Project: Rebuilding an '01 Honda Insight as a nonhybrid Fabio Hybrids 158 01-12-2013 11:59 AM
Toyota Claims Bigger Engine are Better for Fuel Economy SVOboy EcoModder Blog Discussion 13 03-08-2009 07:42 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com