Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Should Scott walker and the legislature give up their pensions and health benefits?
Yes I think he and the legislature should volutarily give up all pay this year 7 26.92%
Yes I think the legislature should at least match the cuts and limits proposed to teachers 12 46.15%
Yes the 15% cuts and pension cuts should be across the board 8 30.77%
No he is too important 4 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 03:19 AM   #151 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyone
Everyone else is an extremist because they don't think like me.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-08-2011, 04:14 AM   #152 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Arragonis -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Ha ha. When I finish talking politics to a lot of my friends, I often end with saying "because we're right and they're wrong!".

Question: How many different parties are there in Scotland/UK with real influence on the government? What I am asking is, how much political diversity is tolerated in your country and has "a seat at the table"? My colonial (ha ha) perspective would assume it's the Conservative and Labour parties and not much in between. But this is wrong, yes?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Old 03-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #153 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Ha ha. When I finish talking politics to a lot of my friends, I often end with saying "because we're right and they're wrong!".

Question: How many different parties are there in Scotland/UK with real influence on the government? What I am asking is, how much political diversity is tolerated in your country and has "a seat at the table"? My colonial (ha ha) perspective would assume it's the Conservative and Labour parties and not much in between. But this is wrong, yes?

CarloSW2
Yes and No. My view of our politics at the moment can be summed up below

In terms of what is tolerated, anything you like. We have a full spectrum from hard-line central control comunists to full on libertarians, anarchists, facists, racists - the lot.

In terms of who gets control then for the UK there are 3 main parties from "left to right" are Labour, Liberal Democrats and Conservatives / Tories (2 names, same party). There is a lot of overlap in them and not much seperating them. Additionally there are some regional parties in Scotland, Wales and NI which also get seats - each MP is voted in a local constituency so local preferences have an influence. There are a few fringe parties but because of the system of electing MPs they rarely get a seat - the one exception is a single Green MP.

In the UK parliament the current government since last year is a coalition between the Lib Dems and the Conservatives. This replaced a Labour government which had been in since 1997. Debatable as to how well they are doing. The government doesn't control all MPs and that is where the regional parties can have an influence on votes.

In Scotland, Wales and NI we also have regional assemblies which tend to be controlled by the nationalists and Labour / Lib Dems - for the tories don't have much of an influence in them.

The current Scottish government is a minority one with the SNP in charge which means they have to negotiate with the other parties on each issue. There are elections in Scotland this year.

Like a lot of people I'm not a member of a party and no longer support a single one as I have in the past. This has resulted in all of the parties losing support and membership. The Tories are more or less financed by large business, Labour by the Unions and the Lib Dems by large benefactors. This of course means that apart from our votes we don't have much influence.

You could see their seperation from us in the expenses issues the other year - it was like they couldn't care less what we thought and even the ones eventually brought to trial tried to claim they had immunity from justice as MPs.

Mr Jefferson was right when he said or wrote

Quote:
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

The Following User Says Thank You to Arragonis For This Useful Post:
cfg83 (03-09-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #154 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
Ah, but the forum initially allowed this thread (and many others like it with political overtones) to be aired here.
That's nonsense.

I can't speak for the other moderators, but it sometimes takes me days to get around to reading "new" threads. There are some threads I never get around to reading. The fact that I don't sit by my computer waiting to pounce on every new topic does not mean they were "allowed".

Therefore we rely on the membership to exhibit some self-control. What a concept.

Quote:
Be careful of what you wish for, as you may get it.
Oh, I still fervently, carelessly, recklessly wish that the people bent on talking politics here would stop.

It's a relatively small group of repeat offenders who are aware of the moderators' wishes in the forum, yet are incapable of staying mum when someone on the other side of their views starts blathering. It takes 2 to tango.

Please, everyone: refrain from political posts.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
brucey (03-08-2011), redyaris (03-08-2011)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread